'A disk read error'

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
For the past few days my computer was blue-screening and I was following the steps to resolve the problem from Windows support and it was resolved,but the next day I was browsing and it did it again. This time I restarted the computer and a error occurred,'a disk read error'. Now,I'm kinda of a novice when it comes to problems with computers,but I figured it was a problem with the hard drive. I'm not sure if it is,but can anyone help me fix this?

If it's needed,I have a backup hard drive that's 130GB. My current hard drive has a lot of things such as,games,music,txt documents,ect.,that I do not want to lose. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Solution
If you can not boot into windows I suggest you get a new HDD, do a clean OS install. Before you do disconnect the data cable from the existing drive. This way you will have a new C drive. Remember you will need to install the chip set drivers, all device drivers and softeware (printers, scanners, cam, etc.). Also you will need to run windows update over and over till no more are offered. Do this after the chip set drivers and video drivers. Wait on everything else till windows is up to date. After you have a clean running system you can plug the old drive data back in (with the system shut off). You will be able to give it a new drive letter and initialize it in disk management tools. Once it is seen you may be able to open it and copy...

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Disk read errors can indicated a failing drive. If the system is working, I would consider buying a new drive and backing this one up. You can run check disk and ask it to fix the bad sectors (does not fix them just isolates them from use). What steps did you take to fix the first issues?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I restored the computer to fix the blue-screening,but that didn't work. Then I restored my computer to a earlier date to see if it was something I recently installed and that worked,for a few days. Then,my computer blue-screened and ever since it has been prompting me with 'a disk read error'. Is there a way I can get my storage off of the computer? I have so many games bought from steam.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If you can not boot into windows I suggest you get a new HDD, do a clean OS install. Before you do disconnect the data cable from the existing drive. This way you will have a new C drive. Remember you will need to install the chip set drivers, all device drivers and softeware (printers, scanners, cam, etc.). Also you will need to run windows update over and over till no more are offered. Do this after the chip set drivers and video drivers. Wait on everything else till windows is up to date. After you have a clean running system you can plug the old drive data back in (with the system shut off). You will be able to give it a new drive letter and initialize it in disk management tools. Once it is seen you may be able to open it and copy off your data. All your steam games are stored on thier server so you can reinstall them as you want.

Solution