computer chess killing me?

Phillip

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

I have been playing a lot of computer chess (ChessMaster, Pawn etc.) and I
have been doing pretty good. I log onto Yahoo and play against people and
get my ass beat.

My rating very low 1450 on Yahoo. When I play ChessMaster I am about a 1900
rating.

Is playing against the computer too much bad?

phillip <phillip_ccnp@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been playing a lot of computer chess (ChessMaster, Pawn etc.) and
> I have been doing pretty good. I log onto Yahoo and play against people
> and get my ass beat.

As an aside, Yahoo is awful -- play on FICS (freechess.org) instead or pay
for a playchess.com or icc (chessclub.com) account.

> My rating very low 1450 on Yahoo. When I play ChessMaster I am about a
> 1900 rating.

Don't assume that any two ratings for the same person should be the same.
There's no reason to assume that what Chessmaster calls a 1900 player is
the same thing that Yahoo or anyone else calls a 1900 player.

> Is playing against the computer too much bad?

People who play exclusively against computers can become very cautious and
defensive -- indeed, this can happen to anyone who plays only against
people much better than themselves. Make sure you play against a good mix
of opponents so that you know how to defend well but also know how to
attack and win the won positions.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poisonous Portable Dictator (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a totalitarian leader but

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

You have to understand that computers don't get tired, get headaches, have
emotions or egos, need bathroom breaks, and will make pieces of average
players like you and me.

The only thing about playing against a computer to much is that if you let
it, and you take it too seriously, it can sure beat you down emotionally and
mentally. You can't allow it to get to you or to take it personally.

As for playing on line, well you never really know.

As for playing your computer, lower the level, and don't let ratings and
such be a concern, enjoy the game win, lose or draw. Wish I still had my
old Fidelity 1500, I think you would enjoy playing that for a while. It was
fun to play, and could be beaten as long as you watched what you were doing,
and didn't make a blunder.

Look around and see if you can find a hand held LCD Chess computer model 375
made by Excalibur Electronics. It is a very friendly little chess computer
that I feel you would enjoy. They are very cheap, less than $20.00 usa, here
is a link to see what it looks like.
http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Toys-All-Excalibur_LCD_Chess_375

,

Southpaw wrote:

> > Look around and see if you can find a hand held LCD Chess computer model
> > 375
> > made by Excalibur Electronics.
> I found this computer advertised and it just happens that I've been looking
> for a decent, not too expensive LCD model i can carry with me to hotels etc.
> Any more details/recomendations Chuck, or anybody? I'm 1500 strength.

A review of this product can be found at:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review251.pdf

southpaw

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

"Taylor Kingston" <tkingston@chittenden.com> wrote in message

> Southpaw wrote:
>> >
>> > Look around and see if you can find a hand held LCD Chess computer
>> > model
>> > 375
>> > made by Excalibur Electronics.
>> I found this computer advertised and it just happens that I've been
>> looking
>> for a decent, not too expensive LCD model i can carry with me to hotels
>> etc.
>> Any more details/recomendations Chuck, or anybody? I'm 1500 strength.
>
> A review of this product can be found at:
>
> http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review251.pdf

Many thanks. Costs 20 quid in GB. I'll need to give it a bit of thought...

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

Internet chess is becoming a joke. You have to find someone legit to
play nowadays. Even playing unrated games and against guests is no
fun anymore. The new clients now have premove, etc, etc. I only know
one or two guys who really like to play and study. How many exchange
frenches, Fried Liver attacks, colle systems and c3 sicilians can one
take?! Before I use to get nervous playing e5 because of the Kings
Gambit but now I look forward to it because at least it is exciting in
blitz.

EZoto

terry

"EZoto" <euclides@eznet4u.com> wrote in message

> Internet chess is becoming a joke. You have to find someone legit to
> play nowadays. Even playing unrated games and against guests is no
> fun anymore. The new clients now have premove, etc, etc. I only know
> one or two guys who really like to play and study. How many exchange
> frenches, Fried Liver attacks, colle systems and c3 sicilians can one
> take?! Before I use to get nervous playing e5 because of the Kings
> Gambit but now I look forward to it because at least it is exciting in
> blitz.
>
> EZoto

If somebody has a higher rating then me - even by 1 point - I play the
exchange french. Human nature then says they will over press and
try to win. I win a lot of them.

What is your proiblem with pre-move ? . It can be risky to use it.

Regards

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

I also have the .PDF of the owners manual for the 375-1 which I own, just in
case somebody needs it. I like the review that you found, and its very true
that this is a very friendly little machine. What makes it so fun is that
somebody with only a months worth of chess exp could hold their own and have
fun with it on level 01, and each level up only raises its strength just a
tiny bit, and it won't suddenly stomp your face till you raise the level
pretty much up to the top, and many people dearly enjoy being able to
honestly say that they beat a chess computer, and for the price its a great
little chess computer for what you get. Hey on level 01 it even blunders
from time to time. Also this is one of the biggest selling little chess
computers there is!!! I bought mine on clearance for $19.99 usa

..
> Any more details/recomendations Chuck, or anybody? I'm 1500 strength.

A review of this product can be found at:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review251.pdf

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

EZoto <euclides@eznet4u.com> wrote:
> Internet chess is becoming a joke.

In what way? Where do you play?

> You have to find someone legit to play nowadays.

Legit in what sense?

> The new clients now have premove, etc, etc.

So what? Premove isn't all that much use -- the last time I premoved (and
it wasn't even a real premove; I was just hovering the piece over a square
waiting for my opponent to move) I dropped my queen. My opponent was
``obviously'' going to fork my king and unprotected bishop to go a piece
up so I was premoving my king out of the way. In fact, he only wanted to
win the exchange by forking my queen and rook.

> How many exchange frenches, Fried Liver attacks, colle systems and c3
> sicilians can one take?!

Well, I play the Sicilian so there's no danger of having my French
exchanged or my liver fried. Colle-like systems appear to be the 1.d4
opening of choice in OTB chess these days and I can't say I mind people
playing it against me online or in meatspace. And I don't get many c3
Sicilians at all -- most people online seem to play open Sicilians or play
2./3. Bc4.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Hungry Expensive Tool (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a screwdriver but it'll break the bank

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

On 05 Jul 2005 18:48:10 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
<davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>EZoto <euclides@eznet4u.com> wrote:
>> Internet chess is becoming a joke.
>
>In what way? Where do you play?
>

>> You have to find someone legit to play nowadays.
>
>Legit in what sense?
>

>> The new clients now have premove, etc, etc.
>
>So what? Premove isn't all that much use -- the last time I premoved (and
>it wasn't even a real premove; I was just hovering the piece over a square
>waiting for my opponent to move) I dropped my queen. My opponent was
>``obviously'' going to fork my king and unprotected bishop to go a piece
>up so I was premoving my king out of the way. In fact, he only wanted to
>win the exchange by forking my queen and rook.
>

>> How many exchange frenches, Fried Liver attacks, colle systems and c3
>> sicilians can one take?!
>
>Well, I play the Sicilian so there's no danger of having my French
>exchanged or my liver fried. Colle-like systems appear to be the 1.d4
>opening of choice in OTB chess these days and I can't say I mind people
>playing it against me online or in meatspace. And I don't get many c3
>Sicilians at all -- most people online seem to play open Sicilians or play
>2./3. Bc4.
>

>Dave.

Open Sicilian? That's rare. Bc4 I have seen also on ICC and FICS.
Colle systems are common on Internet chess. Right now the trend as a
universal defense in Internet chess has been 1.....c6 against
everything instead of 1.....e6. It just gets tiring. Before I was
afraid of the sicilian najdorf or dragon in 5-0 blitz but now I'm
hoping for it just to get some exciting games when I play e4.

EZoto

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

Greetings,

That is good advice. I've been playing a lot of games against CMX
lately and have become very frustrated as I have finally "found my level"
(around 1200) and am losing a lot of games. To break the grind of computer
chess, I always have a PBEM game going as well as playing a few games online
against fallible humans. After winning a game or two against people, I am
usually refreshed and ready to go after the PC once again! :) Variety is
the spice of life!

BTW: I find Pogo.com to be a great place for casual play. FICS and the CMX
server seem to be populated by a more hardcore sort of player. Pogo seems
to have a bigger population of casual players like myself. My chances of
winning are better. :)

Condemned to the Games,
Scott
"Fate has brought it about that America is at the center, no longer
on the edges, of Western civilization....We can deny the fact
and refuse our destiny. If we do, Western civilization, which is the
glory of the world, will become a disorganized and decaying fringe...."
---Walter Lippmann

southpaw

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

"Chuck" <clm701@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I also have the .PDF of the owners manual for the 375-1 which I own, just
>in
> case somebody needs it. I like the review that you found, and its very
> true
> that this is a very friendly little machine. What makes it so fun is that
> somebody with only a months worth of chess exp could hold their own and
> have
> fun with it on level 01, and each level up only raises its strength just a
> tiny bit, and it won't suddenly stomp your face till you raise the level
> pretty much up to the top, and many people dearly enjoy being able to
> honestly say that they beat a chess computer, and for the price its a
> great
> little chess computer for what you get. Hey on level 01 it even blunders
> from time to time. Also this is one of the biggest selling little chess
> computers there is!!! I bought mine on clearance for $19.99 usa
>

> .

What do you think of the display Chuck? I had another LCD computer and
could barely see or make out the pieces. Very poorly lit, strangely shaped
etc.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc (More info?)

You can adjust the LCD display contrast a bit, and in good room light I have
no problem with piece ID. The black pieces are fine, but the white pieces
are whispy for lack of a better word, and those with eye or vision problems
could have an issue with it. I haven't tried it on a bus, train, or plane,
but as long as the light is good, and you're not in direct sunlight it
should be.
==============================

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:12:04 +0000, Wargamer Scott wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> That is good advice. I've been playing a lot of games against CMX
> lately and have become very frustrated as I have finally "found my level"
> (around 1200) and am losing a lot of games. To break the grind of computer
> chess, I always have a PBEM game going as well as playing a few games online
> against fallible humans. After winning a game or two against people, I am
> usually refreshed and ready to go after the PC once again! :) Variety is
> the spice of life!

You can also try weaker freeware engines like Geko, Chad's Chess, Golem
etc. First two play around 1200 Elo while Golem plays around 1500 Elo. It
could be a good change from playing style of the king.

Whenever I am feeling bored and I don't want to play a tough game of
chess, I play against Chad's chess and pound it into dust :)

Pallav