Fist month pocket CT-ART results...

Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the first
3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated player.

I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things is
I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.

I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What do
you all think?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

John
8 answers Last reply
More about fist month pocket results
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the
    > first 3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated
    > player.
    >
    > I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    > exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    > can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things
    > is I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >
    > I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What
    > do you all think?
    >
    > Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >
    > John

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    John J. schrieb:
    > Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the first
    > 3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated player.
    >
    > I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    > exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    > can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things is
    > I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >
    > I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What do
    > you all think?
    >
    > Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >
    > John

    Can you please explain to an ignoramus, what CT-ART is and where to find
    these positions?

    Thank you

    --
    Peter Pein
    Berlin

    CT-ART is a well known Russian Tactical program published by Convekta
    and now there CT-ART version for pocket pc
    It's the best one i know .It's an autonomous program you don't Chessbase ou
    ChessAssitant
    Ph Gaillard
    "Peter Pein" <petsie@dordos.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    dab44p$eue$1@online.de...
    > John J. schrieb:
    >> Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the
    >> first
    >> 3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated
    >> player.
    >>
    >> I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    >> exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    >> can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things
    >> is
    >> I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >>
    >> I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What
    >> do
    >> you all think?
    >>
    >> Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > Can you please explain to an ignoramus, what CT-ART is and where to find
    > these positions?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Peter Pein
    > Berlin
    > http://people.freenet.de/Peter_Berlin/
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    HI John!

    I'll second that! Somewhat anyways - I can 'feel' myself improving
    using CT-ART's demo and am planning to buy their CT-ART and Pocket
    CT-ART versions ASAP.

    I LOVE the way it will point out refutations to my 'incorrect' moves,
    as well as intelligently 'hint' at answers by highlighting squares,
    pieces, and lines of interest.

    Like others on here, I have done alot better (ratings wise) against
    Chesmaster, Hiarcs palm, etc. compared to Yahoo chess were I am
    1350ish.I even once won a CM10 personality rated over 2000, but they
    blundered in that game. Not really a 'true' win.

    For thsoe interested (downloadable demo's):

    http://www.convekta.com

    Alot of cool candy for chess players.

    Ed

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 05:30:38 GMT, "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the first
    >3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated player.
    >
    >I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    >exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    >can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things is
    >I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >
    >I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What do
    >you all think?
    >
    >Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >
    >John

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the first
    >3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated player.
    >
    >I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    >exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    >can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things is
    >I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >
    >I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What do
    >you all think?
    >
    >Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >
    >John

    yeah its a great program :) I just got it a couple of weeks ago and
    am very impressed with it...

    I picked it up here
    http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/chess_software/Chess+Tactics+ART+3.0

    for a decent price :)

    anyone have any experience with some of their other products?
    recommendations for a patzer??? :)

    J.Lohner
    icc 'Inconnux'
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    philippe schrieb:
    > CT-ART is a well known Russian Tactical program published by Convekta
    > and now there CT-ART version for pocket pc
    > It's the best one i know .It's an autonomous program you don't Chessbase ou
    > ChessAssitant
    > Ph Gaillard
    merci beaucoup
    --
    Peter Pein
    Berlin
    http://people.freenet.de/Peter_Berlin/
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    "187Blues" <FatBoy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > HI John!
    >
    > I'll second that! Somewhat anyways - I can 'feel' myself improving
    > using CT-ART's demo and am planning to buy their CT-ART and Pocket
    > CT-ART versions ASAP.
    >
    > I LOVE the way it will point out refutations to my 'incorrect' moves,
    > as well as intelligently 'hint' at answers by highlighting squares,
    > pieces, and lines of interest.
    >
    > Like others on here, I have done alot better (ratings wise) against
    > Chesmaster, Hiarcs palm, etc. compared to Yahoo chess were I am
    > 1350ish.I even once won a CM10 personality rated over 2000, but they
    > blundered in that game. Not really a 'true' win.

    You have done much better against computers - ratings wise - because most
    computers will grossly over rate you. I have never been above 2200 fide but
    chessmaster rates me above 2700. ie GM strength.

    Regards
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    John J. wrote:
    > "John J." <detectorist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Well, after a bit of study I've completed 587 positions which mean the
    >>first 3 levels out of 8. Level 3 has a difficulty of about an 1800 rated
    >>player.
    >>
    >>I sincerely believe that I've progressed 200 ELO points by doing these
    >>exercises. It's the first time in my life that I've studied tactics and I
    >>can feel my vision and calulating ability improve. One of the main things
    >>is I've been forced to consider moves I normally wouldn't.
    >>
    >>I haven't decided whether to do level 3 again or move on to level 4. What
    >>do you all think?
    >>
    >>Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    >>
    >>John

    When learning, repetition is usefull to most people, and from what you
    describe, it makes sense to go over the first 587 exercises again before
    moving on.

    HD

PC gaming Computers Games Video Games Product