Speaker Recommendations for Sound Editing Suite

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 15, 2005 9:45:55 PM

Greetings,
I'm currently in the process of setting up a Pro Tools editing suite
in my home, however I still haven't decided on which monitors to
purchase. I'm leaning towards the Mackie HR624s but they're a little
too pricy for me right now. I'm looking to spend no more than $350
each. I will mainly be editing dialogue, but I will also be working
with fx and music from time to time. Any recommendations would be much
appreciated.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:34:29 AM

"Marty" <martinspencer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a Pro Tools editing suite
> in my home, however I still haven't decided on which monitors to
> purchase. I'm leaning towards the Mackie HR624s but they're a little
> too pricy for me right now. I'm looking to spend no more than $350
> each. I will mainly be editing dialogue, but I will also be working
> with fx and music from time to time. Any recommendations would be much
> appreciated.

tannoy reveal active.

i have 6 pair in continuous operation for 2 1/2 years with zero failure
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:24:26 AM

Marty wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a Pro Tools editing suite
> in my home, however I still haven't decided on which monitors to
> purchase. I'm leaning towards the Mackie HR624s but they're a little
> too pricy for me right now. I'm looking to spend no more than $350
> each. I will mainly be editing dialogue, but I will also be working
> with fx and music from time to time. Any recommendations would be much
> appreciated.

I finally got a chance to listen to my new KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way
Active Monitors, which I purchased for use in locations other than in
my studio after cranking out 2 hours of TV series work on a pair of
Roland MA12C's (OUCH). I placed them atop my Genelec 1030A's and A/B'd
by selectively switching power to one pair or the other and fed from
the same stereo source via XLR "two-fers."

The results: pretty impressive for a $300 pair of monitors. The
Genelecs, of course, had more *deep* bass, probably below 80hz, but the
lows in the KRK's were considerably "tighter," perhaps due in large
part to the Kevlar-like cones in the KRK's. The low mids and upper lows
were much "tighter" than the Genelecs, for better or worse. The highs
were a bit "silkier" in the Genelecs, or "crisper" in the KRK's. The
stereo image with the Genelecs was of course much smoother... the KRK's
definitely sounded more like the sound was coming from two distinct
places, with the Genelecs it was coming from somewhere "across" the
space occupied by the speakers.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend these new KRK's to anyone
looking for a decent pair of budget nearfields. Dimensionally, these
are .5" shallower and 1" shorter than the 1030A's, same width. Inputs
are RCA, TRS, and XLR. There's an HF sensitivity control (boost or cut)
and an input sensitivity control (boost or cut).

They're not Genelecs, but for $300, I was pleasantly surprised. If you
can spend more, look at the KRK RP8's for under $500 a pair. YMMV

g2
Related resources
September 19, 2005 6:28:41 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Could you elaborate on the stereo image
issue? Is it noticable enough to be distracting?
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:22:39 PM

Marty wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation. Could you elaborate on the stereo image
> issue? Is it noticable enough to be distracting?

No, it's only noticeable when directly A/B'd with $1500 monitors like
my Genelecs. It's a subtle difference, and probablyy can be at least
partially remedied by tweaking placement.

g2
!