G

Some people told me that for a cable modem it's better to have it plug-in with a network cable instead of a USB port...
Is it thrue ? And why?
(Sorry for my bad english I usually speak French!!)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes it is because then it's easier to network and share your cable modem connection on every computer. You would connect the modem to a router and all the computers would share a single net connection without having a server.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I believe the data transfer rates on a nic card are far better than those achieved with a usb port

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
They are. Up to 100mbps on a NIC instead of 12mbps on a USB port, however no public broadband connection is faster than a USB connection. An ethernet modem is better because it can be shared/networked.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
A USB modem can be shared. You would need proxy/nat software on the machine that has the internet connection as well as a NIC on that machine to push out the connection to other nodes. I believe AMD was referring to a setup with a braodband router.