Windows 7 and svchost.exe

sugzrupz11

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
On windows 7 is it normal for svchost.exe to be really active as soon as I bootup my PC and sometime after 1hr-2hr use.

I checked the scvhost.exe activity by going on task manager/performance (Tab)/Resource Monitor... (Button).

In the second window, labeled Disk Activity. Whenever I hear/think my HDD is really busy, I check in that window for which program is responsable for this and everytime its the same SCVHOST.EXE. You can clearly see that scvhost.exe is writing new stuff to itself.

Just want to ask if anyone else is having this issue/problem and if anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks

Solution
SVCHOST.EXE(Generic Host Process for Win32) covers many services as such, it can be almost anything. Right click the offending one and then click go to service(s) to see what service it is.

I am gonna guess if its after that time, it may be something like disk defrag , superfetch(reading) or the indexing service(this is a good bet) getting to know your drives better.

In any case, on Win7 just like Vista background tasks(if this nature) will only use available hard drive time. In the even any other app needs the hard drive, then your background apps will just pause and wait until the drive is free again.
SVCHOST.EXE(Generic Host Process for Win32) covers many services as such, it can be almost anything. Right click the offending one and then click go to service(s) to see what service it is.

I am gonna guess if its after that time, it may be something like disk defrag , superfetch(reading) or the indexing service(this is a good bet) getting to know your drives better.

In any case, on Win7 just like Vista background tasks(if this nature) will only use available hard drive time. In the even any other app needs the hard drive, then your background apps will just pause and wait until the drive is free again.

Solution

demecoandrea

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

and what if i want that this process must not be executed? I don't care about disk defrag! I just don't want that win 7 use disk reading and writing uselessly.
Is there a way to disable all this backgroud processes? even if they are started when PC is idle...

Kush Weedenhash

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
update: I got the error but this time I didn't close the box, instead I minimized it. I have not received any more errors. The error box is still there but it doesn't seem to be more than that one message.

The only options in the error message are "check online for solution" and "close"
upon further inspection it mentions "ieframe.dll" as what caused it.

I've gone to cmd.exe and typed in "tasklist" & tasklist/svc" but other than that I'm not sure what service is causing the problem...

update: closed another error message. this time it said the fault module name was MSHTML.dll