Strongest free chess engine?

I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
program out there?

Thanks

Steve

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

If you have DOS, try Rebel 12, its a beast. Even on an old Celeron 400mhz,
it rates 2450, and on a P4, it is a true monster.
Also Jester which is written in HTML, and tiny, is just amazing and beats my
Fidelity 2100 Chess computer!!!

<faltoobd@yahoo.com> schrieb:

>I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
> strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
> program out there?

Fruit 2.1 from Fabien Letouzey. An incredible strong chess engine, on
par with some of the best current commercial programs. For example,
Fruit 2.1 came in 2nd place on the current Computerschach und Spiele
Rating List, outperforming titans like Fritz 8, Junior 9 and Hiarcs 9:

http://www.computerschach.de/index.php?option=com_wrapper&wrap=erangliste&Itemid=152

You can download Fruit 2.1 UCI engine here:

Fruit 2.1 for Windows and Mac OS X:
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/download/fruit/fruit_21.zip

Fruit 2.1 for Linux version:
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/download/fruit/fruit_21_linux.zip

Have fun.

Sincerely,

Frank

<faltoobd@yahoo.com> schrieb:

>I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
> strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
> program out there?

Fruit 2.1 by Fabien Letouzey. An incredibly strong chess engine, on

faltoobd@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
> strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
> program out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Here is one rating list

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/CEGT0507.html

Starting from the top of the list, free engines are

Fruit 2.1, List 512, ProDeo 1.1, Spike 0.9a ...

and most other engines from this point are free.

The best site to visit in search of engines is
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl, there is also another rating list there.

Welcome to computer chess!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

There is also a Windows one called BRINGER, which is very very tough as
well!!

"Christos Gitsis" <el01120@mail.ntua.gr> wrote in message
faltoobd@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
> strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
> program out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Here is one rating list

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/CEGT0507.html

Starting from the top of the list, free engines are

Fruit 2.1, List 512, ProDeo 1.1, Spike 0.9a ...

and most other engines from this point are free.

The best site to visit in search of engines is
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl, there is also another rating list there.

Welcome to computer chess!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Any word on how Rebel, Bringer or Jester did?

Chuck wrote:

>Also Jester which is written in HTML, and tiny, is just amazing
>and beats my Fidelity 2100 Chess computer!!!

Jester is written in Java, which runs in a webbrowser and is free.

http://www.chesskids.com/playjester.htm
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

Chuck <clm701@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If you have DOS, try Rebel 12, its a beast. Even on an old Celeron
> 400mhz, it rates 2450, and on a P4, it is a true monster.
> Also Jester which is written in HTML, and tiny, is just amazing and
> beats my Fidelity 2100 Chess computer!!!

Jester's actually written in Java and isn't all that strong -- I've beaten
it on the default settings. It's on the web at

http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

Dave.

--
David Richerby Beefy Tree (TM): it's like a tree
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ that's made from a cow!

At the moment strongest seems to be Fruit 2.1. I recently run a little
match tournament in my linux box between 4 engines Fruit, Crafty,
Glaurung, Yace. Fruit won big, scored 20 from 27 games, second place
scored 13 from 27. so Fruit was massive 7 points ahead.

Does anyone know of an engine that is truly within the playing range of
2000-2100, or which can be adjusted to that level?

<faltoobd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am new to computer chess. I have downloaded crafty. It is pretty
> strong. I would like to know which one is the strongest yet free chess
> program out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Both Shredder Classic and Shredder 9 UCI at www.shredderchess.com have
a "Limit Strength" option, from 1000 to 2400, that seems better than
most. Delfi is also a very good adjustable winboard engine that seems
to make more subtle mistakes. The free version is only adjustable from
1250 to 1700, but there is a version available for 19.00 USD that is
adjustable in the range 900 - 2200. If you try either of these
options, I'd be interested to hear your impressions, as you're a
significantly stronger player than I am...

Pete

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> Does anyone know of an engine that is truly within the playing range of
> 2000-2100, or which can be adjusted to that level?

Pete,

I already have Shredder under the Fritz interface. How is the program you
mention different? Can I use it under the Fritz user interface? I admit I
forget all that UCI stuff.

Thanks,

Angelo

<google@pwaring.net> wrote in message
> Both Shredder Classic and Shredder 9 UCI at www.shredderchess.com have
> a "Limit Strength" option, from 1000 to 2400, that seems better than
> most. Delfi is also a very good adjustable winboard engine that seems
> to make more subtle mistakes. The free version is only adjustable from
> 1250 to 1700, but there is a version available for 19.00 USD that is
> adjustable in the range 900 - 2200. If you try either of these
> options, I'd be interested to hear your impressions, as you're a
> significantly stronger player than I am...
>
> Pete
>
> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an engine that is truly within the playing range of
>> 2000-2100, or which can be adjusted to that level?

Hi Angelo,

The two Shredder engines that I mentioned are UCI instead of Chessbase
engines, and come with their own interface instead of the Fritz
interface. If you have a recent version of the Fritz interface that
supports UCI, these engines could also be run inside of Fritz, but you
would end up using the Fritz opening books instead of the ones supplied
with these versions of Shredder.

The latest version of the UCI protocol, written by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen,
the author of Shredder, supports a limit strength function directly
from the engine. When you use this feature the engine determines how
to weaken itself to the appropriate level rather than the interface
making the decision. To me, it seems like SMK's limit strength feature
in Shredder produces a more "realistic" result than the handicap modes
in Fritz provide.

If you do try it, you may need to give it a shot in the Shredder
interface (which is excellent by the way) for best results. I know it
will work in Fritz, but you'd need to be careful with opening books and
the game mode used to get the expected results without the interface
hijacking too much of the functionality.

If you go to the shredderchess.com web site, they have a trial version
of Shredder Classic available for download. Let me know what you
think!

Pete

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> Pete,
>
> I already have Shredder under the Fritz interface. How is the program you
> mention different? Can I use it under the Fritz user interface? I admit I
> forget all that UCI stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angelo

Thanks, Pete.

> Hi Angelo,
>
> The two Shredder engines that I mentioned are UCI instead of Chessbase
> engines, and come with their own interface instead of the Fritz
> interface. If you have a recent version of the Fritz interface that
> supports UCI, these engines could also be run inside of Fritz, but you
> would end up using the Fritz opening books instead of the ones supplied
> with these versions of Shredder.
>
> The latest version of the UCI protocol, written by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen,
> the author of Shredder, supports a limit strength function directly
> from the engine. When you use this feature the engine determines how
> to weaken itself to the appropriate level rather than the interface
> making the decision. To me, it seems like SMK's limit strength feature
> in Shredder produces a more "realistic" result than the handicap modes
> in Fritz provide.
>
> If you do try it, you may need to give it a shot in the Shredder
> interface (which is excellent by the way) for best results. I know it
> will work in Fritz, but you'd need to be careful with opening books and
> the game mode used to get the expected results without the interface
> hijacking too much of the functionality.
>
> If you go to the shredderchess.com web site, they have a trial version
> of Shredder Classic available for download. Let me know what you
> think!
>
> Pete
>
> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> Pete,
>>
>> I already have Shredder under the Fritz interface. How is the program you
>> mention different? Can I use it under the Fritz user interface? I admit I
>> forget all that UCI stuff.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Angelo

TRENDING THREADS