Pc freezing without errors or bsod

shaneo8709

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
So my pc has been randomly freezing and locking up after an hour or two of use and i cant figure out why. I have updated my graphics card and bios. I have tried both ram sticks in individually into the first slot, so unless both ram sticks went bad at the exact same time, they should be ok. I did try to run memtest overnight, but upon waking i found that the pc had restarted. I have cleaned out the pc of dust, and the heat seems fine on cpu, gpu, and mobo. I have run a full av scan with malware bytes and cleared up registry and temp files with ccleaner. I dont really know what else to try at this point, any help would be great.

specs:
windows 7 professional 64 bit
intel i5-2500k cpu @ 3.3ghz
2 4gb sticks corsair vengeance ddr3 ram
p8p67 pro rev 3.1 asus motherboard
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) < OS installed
assorted other internal and external drives for storage

If a computer fails after an hour or so of being on then the usual reason is that the computer is overheating. What is the CPU temperature when the computer locks up? You can find this in the BIOS under health or hardware monitor. You should also look at the hard disk temperature, is there air flow over the hard disk. Another test you can perform is does the computer lock up if you remove the side of the case?

shaneo8709

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I have now tried each of the graphics cards solo, no change. The only hardware left i can image causing the issue would be the main SSD or the secondary HDD, the mother board, or the power supply. the SSD i can test solo without the secondary drive i use for storage, but the operating system is on the SSD so it might be hard to test

I had that same thing happened b4. The computer just freeze on what ever screen screen you are on, no mouse or keyboard response, can't Ctrl+Alt+Del, no BSOD or application error code.

It turns out some entry in the registry is causing it. I ran CCleaner registry cleaner and the problem is fixed. Now I just have to remember to do so every week. Don't know which registry entry is causing the problem, as long as it works, until I have free time to reinstall W7.

shaneo8709

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

the problem is i have already run ccleaner on the registry and that hasnt worked

try running the case with the side panel open...it could be the mb chipset that over heating...could be bad case airflow. with the side off there be more airflow...if the lock up slow down or stop...then your looking at a heat issue. one thing you can also try is if you have two dimms is pull one of them at a time..see if the error stops.