Sign in with
Your question

Bizarre problem

Last response: in Storage
October 12, 2003 12:21:54 PM

Hi guys,
got a really strange one - pc was working like a dream all day yesterday - then I shut it down. Several hours later went to turn it on and it just seemed to hang at the win XP loading page. After turning it on and off a few times i finally found that it would ultimately load but needed like 20 minutes to do so!!!
Once loaded - it appears that anything which needs to access the HD is on go slow as well. But i can for example use the net no problem.
The BIOS has no problem recognising the HD (normal HD - no RAID no SCSI) on auto detect.
I replaced the cable running bw the MOBO and the HD to no avail.
Have run chkdsk on the HD
Am pulling my hair out - no idea where to go from here.
Have only had win XP on the machine for 2 weeks or so but it has been flawless until now.
Is there anyway to test the health of the HD or anything else i can do?
Any suggestions gratefully received
Thankyou guys

More about : bizarre problem

October 12, 2003 7:24:17 PM

OK it gets worse - now when i boot up - It gets past the BIOS and then brings up the black screen where it does the old "verifying DMI pool data" thing and then below that it says "a disk read error has ocurred. Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart" - unfortunately doing this only returns me to the same screen again and again.
What awould make it work perfetly and then just stop?
Help
October 12, 2003 8:51:23 PM

Heh, could be a hd failure, though its seems kinda unlikely since it was fine just yesterday. Did the shutdown go ok? Maybe it was turned off too soon, and currupted something. . .either way, if you really are outta ideas, I'd suggest re-installing Windows. I know that always seems to be the n00b answer, but if it still has problems after install, then its likely to be related to, well, something else. After checking cables, and newly installed software, I'd go re-install.

Does it "lag" during the post screen when the drives are being checked (before Windows loads), or is it just in Windows? You could reset the bios, or clear the cmos (which would also clear the bios) if thats the case. Maybe a setting got changed somehow?
Related resources
October 13, 2003 9:21:42 AM

Your HDD could have bad sector.
October 13, 2003 9:44:13 AM

I'm inclined to say your hard drive is on the way out. You didn't mention if you ran Chkdsk from within Windows, or from the recovery console. Recommend the recovery console method, far more thorough. This may get you up and running. If so, I recommend then backing everything up, just to be sure.

<font color=blue>"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" - Bill Shankly</font color=blue>
October 13, 2003 10:55:12 AM

Can you give us the details of the hard drive and motherboard?

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.
October 13, 2003 12:59:26 PM

Hi guys - thx for all the responses.

To answer some of the questions...

When I Shutdown originally - when it last worked fine - there was no problem at all.
It doesnt lag at the post screen at all
Bad sector - how would I know if I had one of those?
Chk dsk - was running when I returned to the pc after disappearing for a second so I dont know if it was run from windows or the recovery console but since it was automatic - ie not triggerred by me - maybe that suggest one or the other.
My Mobo is MSI K7N2 board - nforce2 and the HD is a fujitsu siemens 40gig runs at 100 MBS.
There's a fella at work who suggested i bring the HD in to try on another PC at work 2moro - not sure if XP will kick up a stink if i do that but i Think its worth a shot.
October 13, 2003 2:06:17 PM

The fact that it was working fine doesn't reveal anything. It does appear that at the very least the boot sector of the hard drive has become corrupted. This may or may not be hardware related, but I suspect you'll need to reformat and repartition your drive. Hope you've backed up. If it's a hardware problem then the boot volume will be unmountable, and you're likely to end up buying a new drive.

I'm assuming your friend is using Windows XP. Click Start, then right-click on My Computer, and select Manage. Under the Storage section, select Disk Management. This will (or at least should) allow you to 'see' all logical drives attached to the computer.

You can then right-click on any of the listed drives, and select Properties, then Tools. I'd be keen to see what you find out about your drive.

Does Fujitsu offer any diagnostic software that you might use?

Barton 2500+, 512MB Corsair Platinum XMS 3200 CL2, Radeon 9700, WD Raptor 10,000 rpm S-ATA HDD, Asus A7V600, Enermax 460W SilentPlus PSU.
October 13, 2003 3:07:09 PM

Chkdsk will run automatically during a bootup if it detects sufficient problems on a drive or with the file system to warrant a check. This does make me think it's the drive.

Like Wingy has said, Fujitsu should have some diagnostic software available on it's website. If the problem can be corrected, then usually this software will do the trick. Might also be worth checking the warranty left on that drive while you're there.

<font color=blue>"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" - Bill Shankly</font color=blue>
October 13, 2003 3:09:38 PM

i wonder if it could be the controller?! try putting it into the other one on your board.

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink:
October 13, 2003 3:17:27 PM

True. That happened to me recently at work. One of the lads brought a PC back to our office from site, not picking the hard drive up. After a bit of fiddling, found the IDE Channel 0 was u/s. Stuck the drive on Chaneel 1, slaved the CD-ROM, all OK. Mind you, it's only the third time I've seen it happen.

October 13, 2003 4:46:24 PM

Again - thx for the greta responses guys.

I tried reformatting yesterday - via the XP cd. It seemed to crash everytime it was called upon to access the HD.
Fujitsu - website is awful - I cant find a thing thats useful as a utility - just awful.
Can i try hook up my HD to my IDE 2 - reading my manual for the MOBO says "the first HD should always be connected to IDE1" - can i shove it into IDE2 as a test? Would that mean I need to change something on the bios too?

Re XP - my HD has XP on it - so i figured if i tried it on another machine XP might think I was trying to copy it and prevent that and force me to call Microsoft - which I guess i could do - the software is legit.
October 13, 2003 7:05:32 PM

Yeah, you've got a point. Fujitsu's website <i>is</i> shite. Anway, after a bit of digging, found a utility that might help you.

<A HREF="http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/drivers.asp?L=en&CID=1" target="_new">FJDT(Fujitsu ATA Diagnostic Tool</A>. It's about halfway down the page. This should confirm whether your drive is faulty or not.

Moving the drive to the secondary channel is easy. If you have the CD-ROM on the second channel, unplug it and use the IDE lead and plug it into your hard drive. If you have no devices on that channel and don't have a cable in it, simply trace the cable back to the motherboard and move it into the next socket. It'll be mere millimetres from the primary channel. Boot the machine and the BIOS will simply show the drive as a "Secondary Master" and continue to boot.

October 15, 2003 12:43:48 PM

Thanks for the posts guys and Rob for the Fuji link - I couldnt get it to work - and brought it in to the office to try on another machine.
Looks like its the HD as far as i could diagnose - ordered a new one - should arrive Friday (jeez the wait). So i hope its that.
Thanks again for all the help - will post my results
!