Used Vx battery life expectancy?

July 29, 2004 8:27:47 PM

Need cheap PDA, don't want anything fancy. Considering used Vx from ebay.
I've read of battery problems with the Vx, so if I buy one that is 3+ years
old, is this likely to be a problem?

Alternatively, any recommendations for a newer model that has a mono screen
and is rechargeable (long battery life is the most important thing for me)?

Thanks

Fergal
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:24:48 AM

Fergal rose quietly and spake the following:

> Need cheap PDA, don't want anything fancy. Considering used Vx from ebay.
> I've read of battery problems with the Vx, so if I buy one that is 3+ years
> old, is this likely to be a problem?
>
> Alternatively, any recommendations for a newer model that has a mono screen
> and is rechargeable (long battery life is the most important thing for me)?

My wife uses my old Vx. I upgraded to an m500. She gets several weeks at a
time from the battery still.

The thing is, until you get the unit in your hands, you won't know what the
battery life is like. If you're willing to take the chance and willing to
replace the battery if need be, it's still a good unit.

--
Derek

Failure: When your best just isn't good enough.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 6:11:50 AM

"Fergal" <fergal@whatever.co.uk> wrote:

>Need cheap PDA, don't want anything fancy. Considering used Vx from ebay.
>I've read of battery problems with the Vx, so if I buy one that is 3+ years
>old, is this likely to be a problem?
>
>Alternatively, any recommendations for a newer model that has a mono screen
>and is rechargeable (long battery life is the most important thing for me)?
>
>Thanks
>
>Fergal

The basic Zire (m150). It's $99US with occasional rebate deals (OfficeMax and
the like) that make it $49US.

More about me: http://www.jecarter.com/
VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code: http://www.jecarter.com/programs.html
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code: http://nsb.jecarter.com
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras: http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbt/
Email here: http://www.jecarter.com/contactme.htm
July 30, 2004 1:20:28 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:24:48 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:

>Fergal rose quietly and spake the following:
>
>> Need cheap PDA, don't want anything fancy. Considering used Vx from ebay.
>> I've read of battery problems with the Vx, so if I buy one that is 3+ years
>> old, is this likely to be a problem?
>>
>> Alternatively, any recommendations for a newer model that has a mono screen
>> and is rechargeable (long battery life is the most important thing for me)?
>
>My wife uses my old Vx. I upgraded to an m500. She gets several weeks at a
>time from the battery still.
>
>The thing is, until you get the unit in your hands, you won't know what the
>battery life is like. If you're willing to take the chance and willing to
>replace the battery if need be, it's still a good unit.

Battery life on my old VX always seems very good -certainly better
than my M505 and T3. /Shameless plug mode/ And, if you're in the UK,
I've got one of each for sale!

Phil
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 7:59:45 PM

<mail@mail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:24:48 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:
>
> >Fergal rose quietly and spake the following:
> >
> >> Need cheap PDA, don't want anything fancy. Considering used Vx from
ebay.
> >> I've read of battery problems with the Vx, so if I buy one that is 3+
years
> >> old, is this likely to be a problem?
> >>
> >> Alternatively, any recommendations for a newer model that has a mono
screen
> >> and is rechargeable (long battery life is the most important thing for
me)?

> >My wife uses my old Vx. I upgraded to an m500. She gets several weeks at
> >time from the battery still.
> >
> >The thing is, until you get the unit in your hands, you won't know what
the
> >battery life is like. If you're willing to take the chance and willing to
> >replace the battery if need be, it's still a good unit.
>
> Battery life on my old VX always seems very good -certainly better
> than my M505 and T3. /Shameless plug mode/ And, if you're in the UK,
> I've got one of each for sale!
>
> Phil

Thanks for the responses.

I've since found that replacement batteries are available cheaply on ebay,
so if I get a Vx with a duff battery it's not a big deal to replace it. It
does involve the risk of melting the Vx with a hair dryer to get it apart
though :(

I don't like the Zire as it's a bit too toy-like in appearance for my taste,
whereas the Vx is all sleek and aluminium.
!