Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Facebook Is Partially and Frequently Blocked

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
July 28, 2012 1:44:25 PM

This is driving me insane!

I would say 80% of the time I can't access Facebook. When I can I can only access it through https but whenever I click on a link that is just http it will timeout.

Other times I can just not access it no matter what.

This happens on ALL browsers. IE9, Chrome, FF, ect. All of them have the same results so this wouldn't be a browser issue.

What I have done.

My laptop which is a macbook has no issues when connecting through same network. This would rule out router settings (which I double checked anyways). This should also rule out ISP blocking.

I ran walwarebytes and ccleaner numerous of times and it didnt pick anything up.

I checked hosts file which it isn't in there.

I added *.facebook.com in trusted sites in control panel just for the attempt of running out of ideas.

What else could I possibly check and why on earth would it work sometimes through https but not http?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
July 28, 2012 1:49:42 PM

Forgot another important piece. When I cant connect at all the browser will just keep trying. It will never timeout or go to a 404 page. What is really interesting is it doesn't even try to attempt to load the page in the browser. So it never it looks at connecting to the site.

Also I tried to connect by the IP address instead of URL with same results.
m
0
l
July 28, 2012 1:52:10 PM

aaron_nimocks said:
Forgot another important piece. When I cant connect at all the browser will just keep trying. It will never timeout or go to a 404 page. What is really interesting is it doesn't even try to attempt to load the page in the browser. So it never it looks at connecting to the site.

Also I tried to connect by the IP address instead of URL with same results.


So it is not the DNS then... Where are you located ? I know some countries requires ISPs block Facebook.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:55:28 PM

Maxx_Power said:
So it is not the DNS then... Where are you located ? I know some countries requires ISPs block Facebook.


Virginia Beach, VA in US

If it was that then I wouldn't be able to access it with my laptop on same network also. It just means it has to be computer but not browser specific to me.
m
0
l
July 28, 2012 1:56:51 PM

aaron_nimocks said:
Virginia Beach, VA in US

If it was that then I wouldn't be able to access it with my laptop on same network also. It just means it has to be computer but not browser specific to me.


Ahh, okay. Try scanning for malware then on your affected computer.
m
0
l
July 28, 2012 2:03:19 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Ahh, okay. Try scanning for malware then on your affected computer.


I have ran malwarebytes and ccleaner multiple times in safe mode also already.
m
0
l
July 28, 2012 2:07:26 PM

aaron_nimocks said:
I have ran malwarebytes and ccleaner multiple times in safe mode also already.


Hmm, I had an annoying problem like this before, and I think it was for Flash enabled sites. I tried updating flash, and Java to no avail. Only Internet Explorer worked, so I eventually just re-imaged the computer from a time when I know things worked.

I suppose you tried uninstalling the browsers and reinstalling them ? Disabling browser add-ons ?

Try opening up a Command Prompt and ping the websites you have trouble with and see if you can get through without a browser.
m
0
l
!