Newbie Q - 5 PCs on broadband

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

(Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)

I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The idea is to
connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection - without the need for a
specific one to be on for the others to connect. Firstly, is this ok?
Who/what would you suggest?

Is there a particular provider that you would recommend or would it not make a
difference?

Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect each PC
into?

If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be able
to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).

I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all I'd be
very grateful :o)

Laura
13 answers Last reply
More about newbie broadband
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    "Laura P" <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > (Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)
    >
    > I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The idea is
    > connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection - without the need
    for a
    > specific one to be on for the others to connect. Firstly, is this ok?
    > Who/what would you suggest?
    >
    > Is there a particular provider that you would recommend or would it not
    make a
    > difference?
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect
    each PC
    > into?
    >
    > If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be
    able
    > to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).
    >
    > I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all I'd
    be
    > very grateful :o)
    >
    > Laura

    You need 1 x adsl ethernet router, 5 x network cards and 6 network cables
    <patch type>

    or you could go wireless.

    If you want seperate IP's demon offer a buisness 2mb adsl package with 8 IP
    address's connected to a BT supplied managed router, 5 of these IP's are
    usable, connect each pc to this connection and give each pc its own fixed IP
    address and bingo

    Hope this helps

    Ronny
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    "Laura P" <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > (Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)
    >
    > I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The idea is
    > connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection - without the need
    for a
    > specific one to be on for the others to connect. Firstly, is this ok?
    > Who/what would you suggest?
    >
    > Is there a particular provider that you would recommend or would it not
    make a
    > difference?
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect
    each PC
    > into?
    >
    > If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be
    able
    > to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).
    >
    > I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all I'd
    be
    > very grateful :o)
    >
    > Laura

    Bearing in mind that 5 is an odd number when it comes to routers etc, here's
    two courses of options:

    1. Wired option. This is a bit awkward as you have 5 PCs, when the max ports
    they usually give you on a router is 4. Probably easiest just to get a
    4-port router and then buy a cheap 4-port hub and connect the two with a
    crossover cable. Now just buy 5x ethernet cards and enough cables to wire it
    all up. If you have ADSL broadband, make sure that you buy an ADSL router
    with a built-in modem. If you have cable broadband, then just get a router
    with a WAN port. The router will supply a manual to get you started, Netgear
    and Linksys are popular makes.

    2. Wireless option. Buy one wireless router (same thing for ADSL/cable as
    above applies) and then 5x wireless cards. For internet sharing, 802.11b is
    just fine and also much cheaper than the faster 11g standard.

    As regards your security problem, you can just disable file sharing on the
    network (on each client machine). I don't think the point made above about 5
    seperate IPs addresses this issue as all machines are still on a LAN with
    each other, unless each is put in a seperate DMZ.. (ignore, I'm rambling).

    HTH

    ---

    Actually, you *may* just need to signup for DSL with your
    phone company. If you are on a Verizon area they are
    offering a free wireless router for new DSL customers.
    You'll have only to buy a few cables and wireless cards
    later. Otherwise, you can get a router (the MS routers
    are pretty cheap now).

    And, yes you can have all 5 computers isolated from each
    other, although sharing Internet. Only the router and the
    modem will have to stay on for any computer to go online.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:49:40 +0100, "Laura P"
    <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be able
    >to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).

    if you don't install (or remove) "File and Printer sharing for
    Miscrosfot Networks" from the connection on each machine there will be
    no visibility. Just have TCP/IP and nowt else.

    Phil
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    George Hewitt <nospam@domain.com> wrote:

    > "Laura P" <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> (Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)
    >>
    >> I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The
    >> idea is to connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection -
    >> without the need for a specific one to be on for the others to
    >> connect. Firstly, is this ok? Who/what would you suggest?
    >>
    >> Is there a particular provider that you would recommend or would it
    >> not make a difference?
    >>
    >> Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then
    >> connect each PC into?
    >>
    >> If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and
    >> not be able to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if
    >> possible).
    >>
    >> I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all
    >> I'd be very grateful :o)
    >>
    >> Laura
    >>

    > Bearing in mind that 5 is an odd number when it comes to routers etc,
    > here's two courses of options:
    >
    > 1. Wired option. This is a bit awkward as you have 5 PCs, when the
    > max ports they usually give you on a router is 4. Probably easiest
    > just to get a 4-port router and then buy a cheap 4-port hub and
    > connect the two with a crossover cable. Now just buy 5x ethernet
    > cards and enough cables to wire it all up. If you have ADSL
    > broadband, make sure that you buy an ADSL router with a built-in
    > modem. If you have cable broadband, then just get a router with a WAN
    > port. The router will supply a manual to get you started, Netgear and
    > Linksys are popular makes.
    >
    > 2. Wireless option. Buy one wireless router (same thing for
    > ADSL/cable as above applies) and then 5x wireless cards. For internet
    > sharing, 802.11b is just fine and also much cheaper than the faster
    > 11g standard.
    >
    > ..
    >
    > As regards your security problem, you can just disable file sharing
    > on the network (on each client machine). I don't think the point made
    > above about 5 seperate IPs addresses this issue as all machines are
    > still on a LAN with each other, unless each is put in a seperate
    > DMZ.. (ignore, I'm rambling).
    >
    > HTH

    As stated above, 5 PCs is too many for a 4-port wired router.

    Are any of the PCs laptops which you may wish to use in different locations?
    If so, a hybrid wired/wireless system would work well. Wireless routers
    invariably have 4 ports to which wired devices can be connected in addition
    to lots of wireless devices.

    Some or all of your PCs may already have network cards (or a built-in
    network port on the motherboard). Even if they don't, PCI network cards are
    much cheaper than wireless cards. You could thus buy a wireless
    router/modem/firewall and a single PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop - and
    connect 4 PCs with wires and one wireless. [There are some good deals about
    at the moment where a wireless PCMCIA card is bundled with a router, more or
    less for free].

    As others have said, if you disable File and Printer Sharing, your PCs won't
    be able to see each other, but can still share the internet connection.
    Actually, if you wanted to share printers but not files, you could still do
    it. Before one PC can see another's files, you have to enable File and
    Printer Sharing *and* the appropriate disk drive or directory (folder) has
    to be declared as shareable. So if you want to share printers, you'll have
    to enable File and Printer Sharing - but if you don't declare any
    disks/directories as shareable, you'll still maintain privacy.
    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    In message <cannd4$673$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Laura P
    <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> writes
    >(Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)
    >
    >I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The idea is to
    >connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection - without the need for a
    >specific one to be on for the others to connect. Firstly, is this ok?
    >Who/what would you suggest?

    Five is a tricky number. There are lots of four port modem/router/switch
    systems but you need one more port. Probably the simplest approach is to
    buy a single port modem/router and a separate hub or switch.

    Take a look at adslguide http://www.adslguide.org.uk

    >Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect each PC
    >into?

    You need a combined router and ADSL modem.

    >If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be able
    >to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).

    It's up you how you connect them up. You can configure the individual
    PCs any way you want. Unless someone chooses to share resources on a PC
    the other systems won't be able to access them.

    If you are setting up a system like this it might be a good idea to set
    up another box as a file- and/or print-server. Each of the individual
    workstations could access the server.

    --
    Bernard Peek

    PC's running of of one high speed modem (like a cable
    modem or DSL) but what you will need to get is a small
    item called a Gateway Router. These little gems are
    marketed just for this purpose. I have one and it works
    pretty well, although my ISP frown on their use (they
    would rather sell me the extra bandwidth than have me
    subnet what I have. They sell them at compUSA between $30
    and $60. The problem you will have is that the more
    computers you hook onto these things the less bandwidth
    you will have and the slower your connection will be.
    However, on the up side it will add another level of
    security for your network. I hope this helps

    LB3rd
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    Laura P wrote:

    snip
    > Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect each PC
    > into?
    >
    > If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be able
    > to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).
    >
    > I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all I'd be
    > very grateful :o)
    >
    > Laura

    Re privacy using TCP only is not a guarantee of privacy make printer and
    file sharing is disabled on each pc and load a firewall such as Kerio
    Personal which can block connections even from the local network.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:08:24 +0000, Ron wrote:

    > "Laura P" <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> (Please forgive me if I've posted this in a wrong group...)
    >>
    >> I'm new to this networking lark, although not to broadband. The idea is
    >> connect 5 PCs in a house to one broadband connection - without the need
    > for a
    >> specific one to be on for the others to connect. Firstly, is this ok?
    >> Who/what would you suggest?
    >>
    >> Is there a particular provider that you would recommend or would it not
    > make a
    >> difference?
    >>
    >> Am I right in thinking that we need a broadband router to then connect
    > each PC
    >> into?
    >>
    >> If so, would the PCs only be sharing the internet connection, and not be
    > able
    >> to 'see' each other? (We'd want 5 private PCs if possible).
    >>
    >> I'm sure I've left something out, but if you are able to help at all I'd
    > be
    >> very grateful :o)
    >>
    >> Laura
    >>

    > You need 1 x adsl ethernet router, 5 x network cards and 6 network cables
    > <patch type>

    The problem is, most ADSL modem/router come either as 1-port or 4-port
    version. The OP still need to get a hub or switch .. 8-port hub/switch I
    guess is quite cheap nowadays.

    > or you could go wireless.

    Highly recommended!
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies. It was for my boyfriend's shared house, so I
    don't know too many of the details - he's on Windows XP home, but I'm not sure
    about the others.

    I think the house is going to go for a 4 port router (with the 5th staying on
    dial-up as he's not at the house very often). They're going for the wireless
    option. The replies have certainly helped with clearing up a few things so
    it's appreciated!

    Laura
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:17:05 +0100, "Laura P"
    <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    > They're going for the wireless
    >option.

    wireless will carry 255 clients so the 4 port thing matters not.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    "Phil Thompson" <phil.thompson@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:17:05 +0100, "Laura P"
    > <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > They're going for the wireless
    > >option.
    >
    > wireless will carry 255 clients so the 4 port thing matters not.
    >
    > Phil

    Ah, you live and learn! Thanks for that Phil - I'll pass it on. It's all
    fairly new to me and even more so to my boyfriend's house... :o)

    Laura
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:24:58 +0100, "Laura P"
    <laura@notvalid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Phil Thompson" <phil.thompson@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> wireless will carry 255 clients so the 4 port thing matters not.
    >
    >Ah, you live and learn! Thanks for that Phil - I'll pass it on. It's all
    >fairly new to me and even more so to my boyfriend's house... :o)

    in fact if all the client machines are wireless connected you don't
    need anything beyond 1 port of wiring for setup purposes, however many
    wireless broadband routers come with 4 ports in any case.

    ebuyer.com is a good place for the shopping

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

Routers Broadband PCS Connection Networking