DEQ2496 Anomaly

Last response: in Home Audio
September 18, 2005 1:14:12 AM

After reading a number of positive comments on the Behringer DEQ2496
in RAP I decided to include it in some experiments in the acoustic lab.
Something a bit unusual occurred which I think I should bring to the
attention of DEQ2496 users. Here is the scenario:

Using ETF5 to map the transfer function of some Yamaha MSP3s + M&K
Sub I created the inverse transfer function for each, a Rane RPM2,
Symetrix 322 and Behringer DEQ2496 to flatten frequency response. I'm
doing an A/B/C listening run with the above mentioned setup comparing
to Mackie HR824s and M-L SL3s. I'm also comparing the sound of using
the RPM2, 322 or DEQ2496 as the inverse transfer function. Just hit
Clare Torrey's vocals on Great Gig in the Sky with the DEQ2496 when
suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:

! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
Error Code: 11

I was running only the PEQ and Dyn (at 1:1 for gain boost) with the RTA
running on page 2.

Up to this point I was rather enjoying the MSP3+Sub+DEQ2496 setup
(possibly a killer home theater setup) but the crash has caused me to
be concerned. I wouldn't want something like this to happen during SR.
I'd considered using DEQ2496s in place of Sabine ADF4000s (1 rack space
instead of two per device). Until I have more mileage on the DEQ2496
they stay in the lab. Anyone else experience such a crash?

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

More about : deq2496 anomaly

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 11:21:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

cross-posted to a.a.p.l-s in view of the SR interest. Graham

rsmith@bsstudios.com wrote:

> After reading a number of positive comments on the Behringer DEQ2496
> in RAP I decided to include it in some experiments in the acoustic lab.
> Something a bit unusual occurred which I think I should bring to the
> attention of DEQ2496 users. Here is the scenario:
>
> Using ETF5 to map the transfer function of some Yamaha MSP3s + M&K
> Sub I created the inverse transfer function for each, a Rane RPM2,
> Symetrix 322 and Behringer DEQ2496 to flatten frequency response. I'm
> doing an A/B/C listening run with the above mentioned setup comparing
> to Mackie HR824s and M-L SL3s. I'm also comparing the sound of using
> the RPM2, 322 or DEQ2496 as the inverse transfer function. Just hit
> Clare Torrey's vocals on Great Gig in the Sky with the DEQ2496 when
> suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:
>
> ! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
> Error Code: 11
>
> I was running only the PEQ and Dyn (at 1:1 for gain boost) with the RTA
> running on page 2.
>
> Up to this point I was rather enjoying the MSP3+Sub+DEQ2496 setup
> (possibly a killer home theater setup) but the crash has caused me to
> be concerned. I wouldn't want something like this to happen during SR.
> I'd considered using DEQ2496s in place of Sabine ADF4000s (1 rack space
> instead of two per device). Until I have more mileage on the DEQ2496
> they stay in the lab. Anyone else experience such a crash?
>
> bobs
>
> Bob Smith
> BS Studios
> we organize chaos
> http://www.bsstudios.com
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:55:00 PM

In article <1127016852.013022.120100@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
rsmith@bsstudios.com wrote:

> After reading a number of positive comments on the Behringer DEQ2496
> in RAP I decided to include it in some experiments in the acoustic lab.
> Something a bit unusual occurred which I think I should bring to the
> attention of DEQ2496 users. Here is the scenario:
>
> Using ETF5 to map the transfer function of some Yamaha MSP3s + M&K
> Sub I created the inverse transfer function for each, a Rane RPM2,
> Symetrix 322 and Behringer DEQ2496 to flatten frequency response. I'm
> doing an A/B/C listening run with the above mentioned setup comparing
> to Mackie HR824s and M-L SL3s. I'm also comparing the sound of using
> the RPM2, 322 or DEQ2496 as the inverse transfer function. Just hit
> Clare Torrey's vocals on Great Gig in the Sky with the DEQ2496 when
> suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:
>
> ! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
> Error Code: 11
>
> I was running only the PEQ and Dyn (at 1:1 for gain boost) with the RTA
> running on page 2.
>
> Up to this point I was rather enjoying the MSP3+Sub+DEQ2496 setup
> (possibly a killer home theater setup) but the crash has caused me to
> be concerned. I wouldn't want something like this to happen during SR.
> I'd considered using DEQ2496s in place of Sabine ADF4000s (1 rack space
> instead of two per device). Until I have more mileage on the DEQ2496
> they stay in the lab. Anyone else experience such a crash?
>
> bobs
>
> Bob Smith
> BS Studios
> we organize chaos
> http://www.bsstudios.com

MIne has been doing this and it's in for repair. At first it worked
flawlessly and then after the initial crash, it kept crashing. It is
kind of a drag for such a new unit (2 months) to develop a fault like
this and then have to wait for repair. I wonder if it is a hardware or
software issue. If it's the latter, it seems like there would be some
diagnostic or hard reset the user could do to not have to go through
waiting to have it repaired. Nice unit when it works!

Edwin
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 18, 2005 2:03:33 PM

rsmith@bsstudios.com wrote:

> suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:
>
> ! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
> Error Code: 11
>
> Anyone else experience such a crash?

One of my DEQ2496's had the exact same problem since it came new out of
the box. I did a lot of testing to make sure it wasn't dirty power or
something else external but it was always the same unit crashing when
another one never did in the same circumstances.

Eventually (I waited way to long, should have done this immediately) I
returned it to my supplier who returned it to Behringer for repair. It
took a while before I received the unit back but it was repaired (not
replaced) under warranty and has been rock solid since.

Your unit is defective. Get it replaced or repaired. You will be happy
with it after that.

Sander
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:34:35 AM

> cross-posted to a.a.p.l-s in view of the SR interest. Graham
>
> rsmith@bsstudios.com wrote:
>
>> After reading a number of positive comments on the Behringer DEQ2496
>> in RAP I decided to include it in some experiments in the acoustic lab.
>> Something a bit unusual occurred which I think I should bring to the
>> attention of DEQ2496 users. Here is the scenario:
>>
>> Using ETF5 to map the transfer function of some Yamaha MSP3s + M&K
>> Sub I created the inverse transfer function for each, a Rane RPM2,
>> Symetrix 322 and Behringer DEQ2496 to flatten frequency response. I'm
>> doing an A/B/C listening run with the above mentioned setup comparing
>> to Mackie HR824s and M-L SL3s. I'm also comparing the sound of using
>> the RPM2, 322 or DEQ2496 as the inverse transfer function. Just hit
>> Clare Torrey's vocals on Great Gig in the Sky with the DEQ2496 when
>> suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:
>>
>> ! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
>> Error Code: 11
>>
>> I was running only the PEQ and Dyn (at 1:1 for gain boost) with the RTA
>> running on page 2.
>>
>> Up to this point I was rather enjoying the MSP3+Sub+DEQ2496 setup
>> (possibly a killer home theater setup) but the crash has caused me to
>> be concerned. I wouldn't want something like this to happen during SR.
>> I'd considered using DEQ2496s in place of Sabine ADF4000s (1 rack space
>> instead of two per device). Until I have more mileage on the DEQ2496
>> they stay in the lab. Anyone else experience such a crash?
>>
>> bobs
>>
>> Bob Smith
>> BS Studios
>> we organize chaos
>> http://www.bsstudios.com

Can't say I've seen that one, and I"ve really put mine through it's paces.
I'm currently using it in front of my DDX3216 (via an AES/EBU link), and
it's worked flawlessly for months. Knocking on wood...

Craig
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:24:18 AM

Pooh Bear wrote:
> cross-posted to a.a.p.l-s in view of the SR interest. Graham
>
> rsmith@bsstudios.com wrote:
>
> > Just hit
> > Clare Torrey's vocals on Great Gig in the Sky with the DEQ2496 when
> > suddenly there is NO SOUND. I look down and the DEQ2496 has a pop up:
> >
> > ! Fatal Error -> Reset Device!
> > Error Code: 11

I am currently getting a similar error on my DEQ2496 - no sound will
pass through it and the text will read...

Fatal Error - Reset Device!
Errorcode: 9
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:04:31 PM

CeeDub wrote:
> Can't say I've seen that one, and I"ve really put mine through it's
> paces. I'm currently using it in front of my DDX3216 (via an AES/EBU
> link), and it's worked flawlessly for months. Knocking on wood...

Same here. No problems yet after 7 months of constant use. Maybe they've got
an early firmware version?
---
Splat
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:38:26 PM

"Splat" <spamisshit> wrote in message
> CeeDub wrote:
>> Can't say I've seen that one, and I"ve really put mine through it's
>> paces. I'm currently using it in front of my DDX3216 (via an AES/EBU
>> link), and it's worked flawlessly for months. Knocking on wood...
>
> Same here. No problems yet after 7 months of constant use. Maybe they've
> got
> an early firmware version?

Could also be temperature or voltage issues.

Best thing to do is contact Behringer customer service as they will sort it
out.

Phildo
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:31:55 PM