TEAC CD-W552E error

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I have TEAC CD-W552E 6 months old. Worked perfectly. Yesterday I wanted to burn some cd's but I get an writing failed message (coluld not perform End Track; and something like power calibration failed). I am using Clone CD 4 and Nero 6. I reinstalled software, changed ide cable, the problem remained. I took it to the another computer, and it works. I even triend different burner on my computer, and it works too. Now I downloaded a new firmware, and I am going to flash it. I'll be back soon to tell you the results.

AMD Athlon 2200+
512 DDR Kingmax
75FRN-L nForce2
IDE 1 Seagate 20 GB (Master, ATA 100)
IDE 2 (Master)TEAC CD-W552E (Slave)DVD Sony 12x/40x
TV Tuner Hauppage
Realtek 100/10 NIC
Terratec Fun 5.1 Sound Card
Ati Radeon 9500pro 128mb

Windows XP Profesional SP 1
Latest drivers and direct x 9.0a.

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Now it works, but when I choose 52x speed to burn with, the actual speed is about 20x. I do not know what to do anymore, but the most important thing is that now it works (somehow).

What is the Burn speed of the CD Disks you purchased, it won't burn any faster than the MAX speed of the disks you've bought.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Yes, I know that. I tried on different cd's, different speeds (never above maximum of the cd), but still I have problems. I tried to burn audio cd, but after about 25, 30 minutes of playing, cd would not play anymore. (The computer hangs and cannot read songs anymore.) Then I can hear a cracking noise. But first 3, 4 songs are quite good. I think, as the laser is moving away from the center of the cd, a write speed should be higher, but in my case the write speed is the same it was in the beginning, or it slows down. I think I'll have to try a different burner to see what is happening when I try to burn audio cd'd. I still hope that my warranty has not expired. :)

Two possibilities, either you've got yourself a bad writer, or too many programs are running in the background on the computer when you do the burn, if its a bad writer, well you know your options there, if its too many programs running, you can Ctrl, Alt, Delete and end task on all the running programs except Explorer and Systray, before you open your burning program, and make sure you don't have an Anti-Virus program running in Auto-Protect mode. Another problem is Spyware that could and will run in the background, that the Task Manager doesn't list or seem to know anything about, a good spyware remover like Adaware, for less experienced users or SpyBot Search and Destroy, you have to be careful with SpyBot it can remove more than you want, if you don't configure it properly.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Ok. I have just one more question. What cable do you think that is best to use with cd-rom/cd writers? I have 40 conductor and 80 conductor cable. I know that cd roms are operating at ata-33 so there is no point connecting it with ata 100/133 cable. But if you know something about it, give it a word...

Well you're right, you do not need the 80 wire cables to run the CDROMs channel, but, I'm running nothing but ATA/133 round shielded High Performance Antec Cables, personally I think they perform better being shielded, but even before going to the round cables I was using the regular 80 wire ATA/133 ribbon cables on my CDROM channel, mainly because I got a good deal on a bunch of them, and I figured well since I've got them I'll use them, so shoot me. Ryan

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I installed latest nForce drivers. Everything is working fine now; the speed is back and reliability of burning cd's. I knew it was something stupid.
Thank you.