Sign in with
Your question

nVidia takes on Creative!

Last response: in Components
October 14, 2003 12:02:14 AM

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/display/20031007130..." target="_new">Read Here!</A>

This is the best news for audio consumers in years! Creative used illegal practices to break Aureal a few years back and nobody with the power seemed to care. nVidia did us all a favor by hiring some of Aureal's former audio engineers.

Now if you're familiar with Creative's dirty tricks and abuse of their end users, you can appreciate why ANY power player entering the market is a great thing for us! Let's hope they continue perfecting this technology and really sock it to Creative.

Remember how nVidia was starting to abuse the Graphics Card market before ATI stepped up? Let's hope nVidia can do the same to Creative.

On a side note, a multimedia card with video, audio, and TV combined would be nice...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

More about : nvidia takes creative

Anonymous
October 14, 2003 7:56:56 PM

It is a little unclear to me after reading the article whether Nvidia plans to sell audio processors to the card makers or produce an actual card.

If they are just selling processors then in theory there could be a Creative soundcard product based on that processor. Kinda like there are Creative graphics cards with Nvidia graphics processors.

Yuk! hopefully Creative has too much pride for that.
October 14, 2003 8:31:56 PM

Pride? More like market. Creative still has the old Ensonic based chips that cost them next to nothing to produce. They fill the bottom all the way up to their "value" series of their premium product.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
October 17, 2003 5:06:45 AM

Great!
I eagerly waiting for that!
Creative almost kill evry other sound cards makers, i really wish that i have more choice when i looking around for a sound card.
To make thing worse, Creative seem to be very interesting in pulling us back to the old Dos age, their soundcard all come with Dos emulation, which, I don't know how to remove it.
The Creative CEO said Singaporean are NUTS, I think he himself too, NUTS.

NUTS = no u-turn sydrome
October 17, 2003 5:44:56 AM

Remember MediaVision? They had the highest fidelity cards I'd ever heard back when the SB16 was the hot trash. Creative beat them simply by being bigger (how many people had actually heard of the alternatives?). ESS had some GREAT sound chips back in the day, but were basically outdone by Ensoniq, who was purchased by Creative. And Aureal PIONEERED 3D positional sound, A3D 2.0 was truely amazing, and Creative came up with a new game plan: Hit them with every frivolous lawsuit you can think of until they can't afford to pay the lawyers. It worked! They drained all their cash into paying lawyers, and before they could file to claim damages from frivolous suits the creditors forclosed! Guillemot offered to buy Aureal out of bankruptcy in order to use the technology themselves, and Creative gave their representative a standing offer: Whatever Guillemot bids, add $100k. And why did Creative buy them? Simply to SEAL the technology! Now that kind of fight is caused by FEAR, Creative KNEW they couldn't compete technologically (big word, phew).

October 17, 2003 12:37:34 PM

Yeap! Remember the Pro Audio Spectrum,I think it's the only soundcard that comes with a SCSI interface, a great soudcard.
Hell now, we have only Creative, I means, in my place, most of the shops don't sell soundcard other than Creative.
October 17, 2003 9:45:48 PM

Creative had an SB16 SCSI too. But get this, last year I plugged in my MV PAS, and was greated by the most awe-inspiring sound I've ever heard in stereo. Yes, it had a little background noise, but the soft parts of the music were so soft, the loud parts so loud, and the tone so accurate and warm, it was amazing!

October 19, 2003 3:50:40 AM

Creative is very good at selling their product. There are already some good sound card availible (Philips Accoustic Edge, Turtle Beach Santa Cluze, and M-Audio Revolution) but Creative still able to hold on to the market. I hope nVidia will be albe to make some big impact to Creative.
October 19, 2003 7:09:37 AM

Creative doesn't have to sell their product, they have the "Bandwagon" approach. "Everybody" has one, you're "Nobody" if you don't. Reminds me of how 3DFX stayed in business even when they were...out of business!

November 6, 2003 9:08:38 AM

NV owns everyone they come into contact with, aggressors #1 in the computer world and they are talented unlike Creative.
Creative cant just buy out Nvidia :smile: .
Their motherboards are unquestioned the best for an Athlon, their GPUs are the most advanced technologically, and their soundstorm is going to sell to many many people once they get it in PCI form and remove all the interferences that the onboard sound incorporates as well as gets some good DACs then we'll see.
The drivers are about stabilized for the onboard version and we can expect more new stuff with the stand alone.

I am a NV fanboy but I'm psyched and everyone who enjoys a good sound card should be.

Creative sucks man, I just heard more random popping out of my speakers (and all the inputs are muted...) on my Sound Blaster Oddity. :tongue:

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>
November 6, 2003 9:32:57 AM

It would be cool if nVidia would incorporate a sound unit and graphics unit on the same card!

November 6, 2003 11:31:38 PM

I would buy one for sure.
Esp if NVs engineers can reintroduce some sort of A3D technology and force creative to compete standards wise.
It would increase the attraction to upgrading more often (which benefits Nvidia) and wouldnt make the repeated sound card updates Creative puts out all the time so pointless (hopefully).

Kind of like an all in wonder but it would contain something useful.. I'm not attracted to the AIW line myself.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
November 6, 2003 11:55:13 PM

It would be especially handy if it had both audio and video, both inputs and outputs, so you could use a single card in an HTPC for doing everthing EXCEPT tuning. And use a VCR, Cable Box, Digital Cable decoder box, satalite tuner box, etc, to input any A/V signals you liked.

November 7, 2003 1:28:49 AM

Thats a really good idea.. part of my issue with my ATI tv wonder (I realize its not the same as the AIW but I'm sure the AIW has similar issues) is that my soundcard (audigy) did not work with it correctly.
Having a tuner is really a thing in the past for most people. I use standard cable because of ease of use but I wont once I'm out of college.
I dont know the details but if silicon based tuners are ultra cheap, heck, throw one of those in too and you've got an AIW killer if they can get the software as featured and functional as the aiw software is now.
But they are already big into similar things such as 'xp media edition', NV DVD software and whatever else they've released....

maybe that is their eventual intention?
If it isnt I think they must be blind.

----
November 7, 2003 2:02:08 AM

Yes, I came up with this idea years ago: Why not combine 3D audio and 3D video? One thing that made A3D 2.0 better than any version of EAX was better 3D positioning. But if you used the actual 3D grid from graphics to locate the source of a sound, you wouldn't need any special 3D audio program to figure it out, the video source would determine it.

November 7, 2003 3:37:21 AM

Sir, you are a bonafide genius.

..that is a great idea.

----
November 7, 2003 5:17:04 AM

Crash I want your opinion on what card I should get. I'd sick and tired and fed up with Creative crap.

TBSC or Revo?
I trust your opinion, you've been correct about creative crap and I've been wrong for a long time.
Its time to redeem myself.
Also I'd be interested in what card you use, what cards you've personally heard and feel is the best.
Or if I should wait for the standalone soundstorm which I have no problem doing.

Just as a note- I feel the TBSC is an older card, that it takes away from it but I feel like getting something drastically superior to a audigy2 like the M-Audio. Or is it already (sound quality wise) in your opinion?
Theres no way I'm buying another creative card.

----
November 7, 2003 5:45:36 AM

You're not going to like the answer. I use an Aureal SQ2500. And the hacked Vortex Control Panel published by Chris Day, since XP's drivers don't access the hardware features of the card.

November 7, 2003 5:53:02 AM

:frown:
Out of the newer cards though? Anything you'd prefer?

I cant even find one of those for sale anywhere.
Throw your endorsement in the ring for a newer card.

----
November 7, 2003 6:04:29 AM

Way back when TBSC was a new product, many Vortex2 owners bought it and reported it was a great product nearly as good as the Vortex2 (but with current support).

November 7, 2003 6:26:01 AM

Thanks. I guess thats as much of an endorsement from an Aureal fan as I'm going to get :smile: .

----
!