[ANN] Mark/Space Ships The Missing Sync for Palm OS v4

July 29, 2004 1:25:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MARK/SPACE SHIPS THE MISSING SYNC FOR PALM OS V4

New Version Adds Wi-Fi Sync, Conduit Management, Internet
Sharing via Bluetooth and Sync Reminders

LOS GATOS, Calif.--July 29, 2004--Mark/Space, Inc. today began shipping
version 4.0 of The Missing Sync(TM) for Palm OS, their
highly-anticipated successor to PalmSource's HotSync Manager for Mac OS
X, with support for PDAs and smartphones from companies including
AlphaSmart, Garmin, palmOne, Samsung, Sony and Tapwave.

The Missing Sync for Palm OS v4 goes far beyond providing the basic
functionality of HotSync Manager--the software component that allows
data to be exchanged between a Palm OS device and a Mac--by introducing
a host of new capabilities that Mac users have been asking for, such as
network sync over Wi-Fi/AirPort, SyncMinder(TM), which reminds the user
when it's time to synchronize, and wireless internet connection sharing
over Bluetooth.

Other new features include Conduit Profiles that allow the user to
easily turn on and off groups of conduits, drag-and-drop install
targets that send files directly to the internal memory or expansion
card and a standalone MemoPad application that allows Address Book and
iCal users to synchronize handheld memos. Longtime Missing Sync
favorites, such as desktop mounting and iPhoto/iTunes integration, are
also included.

"PalmSource has announced that they will not support Mac users with
their next-generation OS," stated Brian Hall, Mark/Space's CEO.
"Supporting Mac users is our number one priority, and we're happy to
deliver on our promise of a modern synchronization solution. The
Missing Sync for Palm OS now provides Mac users with a level of
functionality above and beyond that of even HotSync Manager for
Windows."

The Missing Sync for Palm OS v4 supports existing Palm conduits for the
Mac, including Apple's freely available iSync Palm Conduit and
Microsoft's Entourage Conduit, ensuring an easy transition for users
who switch from HotSync Manager. A list of supported conduits is
available at www.markspace.com/palmos/.

Pricing, Availability and System Requirements

The Missing Sync for Palm OS v4 is available for immediate purchase and
download from the Mark/Space online store for $39.95. One installer
provides English, French, German, and Japanese languages. CDs will be
available in September, priced at $49.95 plus shipping and handling.
For a list of distributors and resellers in the US and abroad, please
see www.markspace.com/distributors.html, or shop online at
store.markspace.com.

Customers who purchased a qualifying product on or after June 23, 2004
are eligible for a free upgrade, and customers who purchased qualifying
products prior to that date will be able to purchase the new version
for half-price from www.markspace.com/palmosupgrade/.

The Missing Sync for Palm OS, version 4.0, requires a computer running
Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later (10.3.4 recommended) and a handheld running
Palm OS 4 or Palm OS 5 with USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. A list of
supported devices is available at www.markspace.com/palmos/.

About Mark/Space, Inc.

Founded in 1990, Mark/Space, Inc. develops and markets mobile and
wireless software, including the award-winning Missing Sync products
that connect a Mac OS computer to handheld devices from Dell, HP,
PalmOne, Sony, Toshiba and others.

# # #

Mark/Space, The Missing Sync and SyncMinder are trademarks of
Mark/Space, Inc. All other product and brand names may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Company Contact:
Eric Ullman
Director of Sales and Marketing
eullman@markspace.com
+1 510.390.3076
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:01:50 AM

Brian Hall <brian_hall@markspace.delete.com> wrote:

> Customers who purchased a qualifying product on or after June 23, 2004
> are eligible for a free upgrade, and customers who purchased qualifying
> products prior to that date will be able to purchase the new version
> for half-price from www.markspace.com/palmosupgrade/.

A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.

Luke
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:45:46 PM

Luke Bosman <southend.unitedfc.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> Brian Hall <brian_hall@markspace.delete.com> wrote:
>

> > Customers who purchased a qualifying product on or after June 23, 2004
> > are eligible for a free upgrade, and customers who purchased qualifying
> > products prior to that date will be able to purchase the new version
> > for half-price from www.markspace.com/palmosupgrade/.
>
> A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
> code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.

Update: the new registration code arrived this morning. Installation of
the software remains a challenge but I believe support are working on
this one.

Cheers,
Luke

--
The above email address will work until spammed.
July 30, 2004 6:57:08 PM

Luke Bosman <stanley.unwin.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> Luke Bosman <southend.unitedfc.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
> > Brian Hall <brian_hall@markspace.delete.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Customers who purchased a qualifying product on or after June 23, 2004
> > > are eligible for a free upgrade, and customers who purchased qualifying
> > > products prior to that date will be able to purchase the new version
> > > for half-price from www.markspace.com/palmosupgrade/.
> >
> > A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
> > code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.
>
> Update: the new registration code arrived this morning. Installation of
> the software remains a challenge but I believe support are working on
> this one.

Further update: a quick edit of the preference file and the thing now
works a treat.

Luke

--
The above email address will work until spammed.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 1:56:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:57:08 +0100, Luke Bosman wrote
(in article
<1ghqs62.40zz3koj3gbpN%stanley.unwin.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com>):

> Luke Bosman <stanley.unwin.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
>> Luke Bosman <southend.unitedfc.5.lukebosman@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>>> A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
>>> code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.
>>
>> Update: the new registration code arrived this morning. Installation of
>> the software remains a challenge but I believe support are working on
>> this one.
>
> Further update: a quick edit of the preference file and the thing now
> works a treat.
>
> Luke

works ok for me via usb/cradle, but with my t|c, network synching doesn't get
off the ground via wireless.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 3:30:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <0001HW.BD311D3D000216C3F03055B0@news.demon.co.uk>, Simon
Dobbs <simondobbs@froglet.net> wrote:

> works ok for me via usb/cradle, but with my t|c, network synching doesn't get
> off the ground via wireless.

If you are using a firewall, make sure the required network hotsync
ports are open. See also
<http://www.markspace.com/support/index.php?mode=view_en...
at=57>
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 7:38:32 PM

Luke Bosman wrote:

> A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
> code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.

Is there a good summary of warnings/howtos somewhere? This
sounds like something worthwhile, but there's the natural
reluctance to be among the first frustrated guinea pigs.

(And is there someone working on similar stuff for the
blackberries? We've got one here, originally as a test
device for web pages, and it'd be really handy if I could
get things in and out of it from my PB. The sync stuff
for Windows is among the least reliable Windows apps I've
ever seen, and that's quite an achievement. ;-)
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:28:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:30:38 +0100, Brian Hall wrote
(in article <310720041130387649%brian_hall@markspace.delete.com>):

> In article <0001HW.BD311D3D000216C3F03055B0@news.demon.co.uk>, Simon
> Dobbs <simondobbs@froglet.net> wrote:
>
>> works ok for me via usb/cradle, but with my t|c, network synching doesn't
>> get
>> off the ground via wireless.
>
> If you are using a firewall, make sure the required network hotsync
> ports are open. See also
> <http://www.markspace.com/support/index.php?mode=view_en...
> at=57>

thanks- did that and it now works!
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:33:09 PM

John Chambers <jmchambers@rcn.com> wrote:

> Luke Bosman wrote:
>
> > A word of warning: don't start to install the above if your registration
> > code for v4 is identical to that of v2. It won't work.
>
> Is there a good summary of warnings/howtos somewhere? This
> sounds like something worthwhile, but there's the natural
> reluctance to be among the first frustrated guinea pigs.

The Missing Sync mailing list archives (linked from the MarkSpace
website) should help you out here. I think most problems were caused by
invalid registration numbers which now appear to have been sorted out.

Luke

--
The above email address will work until spammed.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 1:42:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

Hi, I am having this problem with wifi hotsync from sony clie tj-37 to
my ibook not working. Have triple-checked all settings, turned off the
firewall, and enabled port forwarding in my router for 14238. Syncs
normally via usb. Any ideas?
Riley

Brian Hall wrote:
> [...]
> for half-price from www.markspace.com/palmosupgrade/.
>
> The Missing Sync for Palm OS, version 4.0, requires a computer running
> Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later (10.3.4 recommended) and a handheld running
> Palm OS 4 or Palm OS 5 with USB, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. A list of
> supported devices is available at www.markspace.com/palmos/.
>

> About Mark/Space, Inc.
>
> Founded in 1990, Mark/Space, Inc. develops and markets mobile and
> wireless software, including the award-winning Missing Sync products
> that connect a Mac OS computer to handheld devices from Dell, HP,
> PalmOne, Sony, Toshiba and others.
>
> # # #
>
> Mark/Space, The Missing Sync and SyncMinder are trademarks of
> Mark/Space, Inc. All other product and brand names may be trademarks or
> registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 8:59:33 PM

Riley Hart <63ford@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi, I am having this problem with wifi hotsync from sony clie tj-37 to
> my ibook not working. Have triple-checked all settings, turned off the
> firewall, and enabled port forwarding in my router for 14238. Syncs
> normally via usb. Any ideas?

1: Make sure you're not using "adhoc" mode -- that's for connecting
directly to a computer without going through a wireless access point.
2: It's actually 14238/TCP and 14237/UDP, and they should be forwarded to
your iBook, and not to the handheld. PC HotSync will work with just the TCP
port, but slower -- I'm not sure whether Missing Sync is the same.
3: Make sure there's no firewalls blocking the connection.
4: If using NAT, make sure you have a DNS server for your inside addresses
too, or you have to use the IP address.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the info, was not aware of the extra port. Still can;t
get it to sync...the wifi is connecting, but nothing else happens.
Adhoc mode does not seem to be an option on the tj-37(if it could be set
up, would be preferable to lansync), or I am missing something. All
addresses are specified numerically here, no dns server. The firewall on
this mac has been turned off.

Thanks again for trying to help...;Riley.

!