setting up my ethernet card to work with hotel lan

I need to set up MS Exchange so that I can use my ethernet
card in my hotel, rather than using my modem. The hotel
provides high speed internet and I am connected. The desk
states all I have to do is hit MS Exchange and it will
come up. However, I know that I must set up a network
place and I do not know how and neither does the hotel.

PLEASE HELP. Desperate

You may want to ask your question in the Exchange newsgroup, Dian. This
newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and software,
not Exchange. Try this newsgroup: microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"dian1smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to set up MS Exchange so that I can use my ethernet
> card in my hotel, rather than using my modem. The hotel
> provides high speed internet and I am connected. The desk
> states all I have to do is hit MS Exchange and it will
> come up. However, I know that I must set up a network
> place and I do not know how and neither does the hotel.
>
> PLEASE HELP. Desperate

Dian,

Typically, once your Ethernet card is installed, it will show up when you right click My Network Places and select Properties. Then right click the connection in question and select Properties.

Go to the General tab, highlight the entry for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Set it to obtain an IP address automatically and the DNS Server information automatically.

Next, go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, and click the LAN settings button. Uncheck Automatically detect settings in the Automatic Configuration section.

Once that's done, open Internet Explorer. Most hotel systems require that you log in to their proxy server, but you'll have to check with the hotel to see if they have specific instructions for connecting to their network. Once you've validated against their proxy server, you should be able to connect to your company's exchange server. Normally, you have to re-validate every 24 hours.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.