Recommendations for Home System

Last response: in Home Audio
September 19, 2005 6:44:18 PM

OK, folks, I'm soliciting opinions on what kind of a TV to purchase.
Here are the parameters:

1) I'm interested in getting the best quality picture and sound
possible with an integrated system. I'm not going to add speakers. The
system needs its own speakers as part of the box or package.

2) Any system I buy is going to have to last at least 10 years. My
27-inch Mitsubishi is 13 years old and working just fine. But I want
the widescreen experience and an updated picture quality. Maybe 45-55
inches in size.

3) This means any system I buy has to weather the format changes coming
with aplomb. Whether I hook up HDTV through cable or watch any new
format DVD, it's gotta handle them.

4) Oh, I actually will mostly watch DVDs, 60% of the time, with maybe
20% of the time being VHD (videotapes), and 20% broadcast/cable
television. (no premium channels).

5) I want to be able to just hook up the cable, old Sony VHS and old
Toshiba DVD player, and go.

So... any suggestions? Or am I being unrealistic?

Thanks!

Stephen
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:51:03 PM

Oh, me bad. Surry. Reposted to rec.video.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:53:31 PM

braitman <braitman@mindspring.com> wrote:
>OK, folks, I'm soliciting opinions on what kind of a TV to purchase.

TV is bad for you. This is rec.audio.pro. It's not for video gear.
It's not for consumer gear.

>1) I'm interested in getting the best quality picture and sound
>possible with an integrated system. I'm not going to add speakers. The
>system needs its own speakers as part of the box or package.

Is this a joke? I think you are VERY much in the wrong place.
--scott
September 20, 2005 4:56:34 AM

> >1) I'm interested in getting the best quality picture and sound
> >possible with an integrated system. I'm not going to add speakers. The
> >system needs its own speakers as part of the box or package.
>
> Is this a joke? I think you are VERY much in the wrong place.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to my nearest Best Buy and asking them to show me
their least expensive 42" LCD widescreen with "DVI, VGA, and component video
inputs, and speakers good enough to mix on." <g>
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:40:42 PM

> Tomorrow morning I'm going to my nearest Best Buy and asking them to show
me
> their least expensive 42" LCD widescreen with "DVI, VGA, and component
video
> inputs, and speakers good enough to mix on." <g>

You can buy two of them and make Quadraphonic mixes.... Maybe a new
standard..... (onto a 1/2inch, 4 tracks maybe...)
You may also need a rearviewmirror for the back monitor...
F.
!