RDRAM versus DDR SDRAM

Salamander

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2003
I currently have 512 of PC800 RDRAM on a Dell 8200 desktop. I am considering a new computer, and looking at 1gig of 3200-XMS DDR400CL2 (which is DDR SDRAM, I believe). The new computer would also have the 800 frontside bus.

My question is, will I see a significant speed increase, even though I am going from RDRAM to DDR SDRAM? What impact will this have on loading web pages? video editing? moderate gaming?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
While dual channel PC800 was faster than dual channel PC1600 DDR SDRAM (the synchronous rate for a 400 bus P4), and dual channel PC1066 is faster than dual channel PC 2100 (the synchronous rate for a 533 bus P4), there IS no RDRAM that can operate at 800MHz (PC1600 RDRAM). You'd have to have a Quad Channel PC800 board just to make RDRAM work right. So DDR is the only way to go. And yes, it will be faster, due to the higher clockrate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Salamander

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2003
I assumed there would probably be some speed increase, even though I going from RDRAM to DDR. Will the speed increase be noticeable on day to day web usage? video rendering? moderate gaming?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For web use you might as well have a PII 400 and some PC100 SDRAM. New hardware can't speed up a slow internet. Video rendering might improve, gaming should improve. Video encoding would be a great place to take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>