Denon DN-C635 problems

Last response: in Home Audio
September 19, 2005 7:03:25 PM

We (Ithaca College, radio) have at least 8 of these CD players. They
are all 2-1/2 years old and at least 6 have been in nearly constant use
(24/7) in our two radio installations. Starting last spring, nearly all
have suffered "TOC error" problems. As far as I can see, it is largely
that the units fail to spin the disc properly when it is loaded. Denon
does not sell the spindle motor separately. It's your usual tiny
Mabuchi motor, and I suspect they have all developed dead spots on the
commutator. However, replacing the entire drive mechanism assembly (the
only part Denon sells that includes the motor) has not cured the
problem except when I replaced the new laser sled with the old one.
Seemed like what was really needed was a motor replacement.
Anyone have experience with this unit's trouble or something
similar? We are tempted to pitch all the units, except there are few,
if any, single CD players available any more, usable in a radio
installation. (OK, the Marantz PMD 331 is similar. We have a few but
not in hard daily service, and, since the companies have merged, I
don't trust them, either.).
If no ideas about fixing the nasty things, any suggestions for
replacements. We liked the professional balanced connections and the
ability to do remote start and stop, but I'm not going to be picky at
this point.
Thanks for any help. Yeah, I'm a newbie here but have looked at the
group for quite a while.

More about : denon c635 problems

January 24, 2008 4:07:56 PM

I have 6 of these players and all broke within the same month. I ordered a new motor for around $5 for each one. it fixed them. When you replace them, make sure the cd rides about 2mm above the laser eye. If you turn the cd player on and can hear the laser hitting the cd, pry the cd platform up a little higher on the motor shaft. These motors are about 4mm to long, so use a bolt cutter to chop off a little bit. To prolong the life of the motor, I put a 1uf capacitor across the leads on the back of the motor board. Use a Tantalum Capacitor because the cd player reverses the current to stop the cd, so you must have a non-polar cap. You can get them from newark...

Tantalum Capacitor
Newark Part# 57K9283

Motor
MCM Part# 28-1920
Mabuchu Part# RF-310T-11400.95

Call Newark. They should be able to get you both parts. If not, order
the cap from Newark and go to mcm.newark.com (mcmelectronics.com)
to order the motor.
March 13, 2013 1:51:34 PM

heathric said:
[...]

Related resources
March 13, 2013 1:52:15 PM

Anonymous said:

[...]

March 13, 2013 6:17:40 PM

Ramseyman said:
Anonymous said:

[...]

Could just as easily be bad electrolytic capacitors. Maybe not the motor at all.
!