Sign in with
Your question

pci raid controller question

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2003 1:01:08 AM

Quick question- I've been looking into the Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard to upgrade, but I've been having trouble figuring out whether or not it supports IDE raid? If not, is their a decent PCI raid card I can get for a cheap price, and would I be able to boot off of that array? Will this be as fast (or faster) as onboard raid? Most newer mobo's only have serial ATA raid, and I have two identical IDE drives that are in raid 0 with my current mobo- I would definetly like to raid on my new one. Thank you for your help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by codinerx on 10/15/03 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 16, 2003 5:17:56 AM

Last I looked there were bootable PCI-IDE RAID controllers as cheap as $25 at places like Newegg.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 16, 2003 6:27:35 AM

If I were to purchase one, would the speed/reliability be comparable to that of the onboard raid I use now?
Related resources
October 16, 2003 6:51:23 AM

These inexpensive cards typically use the same RAID controller chips as onboard devices used to. Since onboard devices are also PCI (same bus, they simply replaced the slot with a chip), the performance is the same as if the same controller was onboard.

Take a Highpoint controller for example: It will perform the same weather soldered to the motherboard or placed in a PCI slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 16, 2003 2:34:16 PM

I see... sounds good man, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to buy a used Highpoint RocketRaid off of Ebay, they are still around $50 new.
October 17, 2003 2:58:26 AM

Rule of thumb, if something is worth buying, you can find it on eBay and take a significant risk on your purchase, or you can find it for LESS MONEY at an online vender somewhere.

!