pci raid controller question

Quick question- I've been looking into the Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard to upgrade, but I've been having trouble figuring out whether or not it supports IDE raid? If not, is their a decent PCI raid card I can get for a cheap price, and would I be able to boot off of that array? Will this be as fast (or faster) as onboard raid? Most newer mobo's only have serial ATA raid, and I have two identical IDE drives that are in raid 0 with my current mobo- I would definetly like to raid on my new one. Thank you for your help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by codinerx on 10/15/03 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
5 answers Last reply
More about raid controller question
  1. Last I looked there were bootable PCI-IDE RAID controllers as cheap as $25 at places like Newegg.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. If I were to purchase one, would the speed/reliability be comparable to that of the onboard raid I use now?
  3. These inexpensive cards typically use the same RAID controller chips as onboard devices used to. Since onboard devices are also PCI (same bus, they simply replaced the slot with a chip), the performance is the same as if the same controller was onboard.

Take a Highpoint controller for example: It will perform the same weather soldered to the motherboard or placed in a PCI slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. I see... sounds good man, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to buy a used Highpoint RocketRaid off of Ebay, they are still around $50 new.
  5. Rule of thumb, if something is worth buying, you can find it on eBay and take a significant risk on your purchase, or you can find it for LESS MONEY at an online vender somewhere.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Controller PCI Storage