Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

best reverb plugin?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:17:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?

More about : reverb plugin

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 8:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Lauren the Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1127229831.552367.327410@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Try the free SIR reverb. Many swear by it.
>
> http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html
>

Theoretically all convolution reverbs should be equal.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 10:06:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:43:29 GMT, "Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Lauren the Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1127229831.552367.327410@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Try the free SIR reverb. Many swear by it.
>>
>> http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html
>>
>
>Theoretically all convolution reverbs should be equal.

That's a good point.

I suppose the differentiations would be the user interface, library of
rooms sampled, and costs...
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:13:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

J.W. wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:43:29 GMT, "Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>"Lauren the Ravishing" <lauren_the_ravishing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:1127229831.552367.327410@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>Try the free SIR reverb. Many swear by it.
>>>
>>>http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html
>>>
>>
>>Theoretically all convolution reverbs should be equal.
>
>
> That's a good point.
>
> I suppose the differentiations would be the user interface, library of
> rooms sampled, and costs...
>
>

There is no practical limit to number of samples, short of "how
much disc space ya got". UI isn't at issue; SIR's is wonderful.
It's got one of *the* best UI's of any plugin I've seen.

Main drag about SIR is the 400 msec delay on output. Easy
to work around, 'tho.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message
news:mA1Ye.92805$xl6.73832@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> Main drag about SIR is the 400 msec delay on output. Easy
> to work around, 'tho.

Les, it's had delay compensation for a while. Which version are you using
and what program are you using it in?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
>
> Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
> Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?

What does 'higher quality' mean ?

geoff
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:35:44 +1200, "Geoff@work"
<gwood@nospam-audioproducts.co.nz> wrote:

>
>"J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
>news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
>>
>> Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
>> Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?
>
>What does 'higher quality' mean ?
>
>geoff
>

Unless that's a trick question, I would think higher-quality means
"better sounding".

For example, low-quality would be metallic sounding. Or unrealistic.

More examples of reverb from lower quality to higher quality (my
subjective opinion of course but I think many would agree):
Sound Forge 6.0 free built-in reverb processing
Lexicon MPX-1 hardware reverb algorithm
Waves IR-1 V2 reverb


I'm sure there's something better (or will be something better) than
Waves IR-1. The question is: does it exist today?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Geoff@work wrote:

> "J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
> news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
>
>>Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
>>Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?
>
>
> What does 'higher quality' mean ?
>
> geoff
>
>

Zircon encrusted?

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:35:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:13:33 -0400, Les Cargill wrote
(in article <NA1Ye.92806$xl6.47620@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>):

> Geoff@work wrote:
>
>> "J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
>>
>>> Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
>>> Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?
>>
>>
>> What does 'higher quality' mean ?
>>
>> geoff
>>
>>
>
> Zircon encrusted?
>
> --
> Les Cargill

AH, there are my tweezers!

Ty

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 5:11:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

J.W. <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in news:D 181j11cg1je6f7os686k7i9a0sc8258n6@
4ax.com:

>
>
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:35:44 +1200, "Geoff@work"
> <gwood@nospam-audioproducts.co.nz> wrote:

>>What does 'higher quality' mean ?
>
> Unless that's a trick question, I would think higher-quality means
> "better sounding".
>
> I'm sure there's something better (or will be something better) than
> Waves IR-1. The question is: does it exist today?

The quality of the output of a convolution reverb is exactly proportional
to the sample. Use a raspy, tinny sample and you get raspy, tinny reverb.

I use SIR (free) and few can even tell it's there.

That means matching the reverb sample to the recording. Almost every
recording has some of the room in the original track. Adding an
"incompatible" reverb stands out. Time, timbre (character), and level
matching are all critical.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:37:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Carey Carlan wrote:

> I use SIR (free) and few can even tell it's there.

I don't doubt that, but doesn't Waves IR-1 contain some
useful controls which modify the response in ways
specifically tailored for reverb?


Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
news:D 181j11cg1je6f7os686k7i9a0sc8258n6@4ax.com...
>
>
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:35:44 +1200, "Geoff@work"
> <gwood@nospam-audioproducts.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>
>>"J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
>>news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
>>> Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?
>>
>>What does 'higher quality' mean ?
>>
>>geoff
>>
>
> Unless that's a trick question, I would think higher-quality means
> "better sounding".
>
> For example, low-quality would be metallic sounding. Or unrealistic.


Given that there are many (most !) plugins that do not demonstrate obvious
flaws such as you mention, the question becomes one of subjective qualities.
So the question should be "which is your favorite reverb and why ?".


geoff
September 21, 2005 8:16:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

For reverb modeling there is a new plug, and it's real good. The AAR
1.0

www.artsacoustic.com

they have a demo.

For impulse players (few beat SIR, but as stated impuses are as
important) the voxengo plugs do very good. And they are low latency
too.

www.voxengo.com

wizoo too has a impulse reverb now, made in colabaration with the
author of SIR. The thing with Wizoo, waves and other expensive reverbs
is that u get a good sample lib to start with.

For some great free reverb etc. impulses visit :

www.noisevault.com


Sidhu





Ty Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:13:33 -0400, Les Cargill wrote
> (in article <NA1Ye.92806$xl6.47620@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>):
>
> > Geoff@work wrote:
> >
> >> "J.W." <j10w_n1g@att.net> wrote in message
> >> news:063vi1t0q0urbrsohd0c6uh96gpsljtk6o@4ax.com...
> >>
> >>> Is there any reverb plugin that's higher quality than the $800 IR-1 V2
> >>> Waves Convolution reverb? What do they cost?
> >>
> >>
> >> What does 'higher quality' mean ?
> >>
> >> geoff
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Zircon encrusted?
> >
> > --
> > Les Cargill
>
> AH, there are my tweezers!
>
> Ty
>
> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:07:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <dgsnbm02dru@enews4.newsguy.com>,
Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

> Carey Carlan wrote:
>
> > I use SIR (free) and few can even tell it's there.
>
> I don't doubt that, but doesn't Waves IR-1 contain some
> useful controls which modify the response in ways
> specifically tailored for reverb?
>
>
> Bob




One very important thing to remember about purchasing any Waves plug
today: Waves will make you pay for it again and again, year after year.
It's called WUP (Waves Upgrade Plan.) It should be called "Waves sticks
it Up your ass Plan."

Everyone charges for upgrades and that's fine with me, but these guys
have made it an art form and a huge cash cow. I will never buy a new
Waves plug because of WUP, and I have purchased a bunch from them over
the years.

Buy Altiverb if you got a Mac.

The sad thing about this state of Waves affairs is I swear when they
first sold plugs, they said you got free updates for ever.

I don't mind paying a vendor for new versions. Just this week I upgraded
my System 9 Quickeys to version X3 and bought OS X Tiger. But WUP -
that's a whole other realm.

Thanks to the Digidesign User Conference for making me aware of Waves'
practice. I was not aware of it, as I've continued to run PT 5.31 and
hadn't investigated upgrading my Waves plugs. What a rip!




David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 3:30:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Folks I've spoken to seem to believe Waves has some of the best
algorithms and implementations in the business, and at the very least is
the benchmark to beat. "Expensive but maybe not overpriced if that's
what you need."

Of course everyone else keeps improving too...

I haven't priced 'em or played with 'em, so I don't have an opinion
either way; I'm just tossing this out For What It's Worth.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 7:53:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:19:50 -0400, Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
wrote:

>> Zircon encrusted?
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill
>
>AH, there are my tweezers!

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 8:57:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ricky Hunt wrote:

> "Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message
> news:mA1Ye.92805$xl6.73832@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>>Main drag about SIR is the 400 msec delay on output. Easy
>>to work around, 'tho.
>
>
> Les, it's had delay compensation for a while. Which version are you using
> and what program are you using it in?
>
>

Old, old versions, all around. I was unaware that later
versions of SIR offer compensation. Thanks for the
info.

No way I'm upgrading *anything* right now. It's
otherwise relatively stable; every time I've tried to
upgrade one thing, something else breaks.

Maybe next computer, around 2010 or 2012.

--
Les Cargill
May 4, 2009 1:04:45 PM

The EpicVERB its great, sounds fantastic and its free!

No is Bullshit, you can test it and when you like it is yours!

I have 3 Reverb Plugs SIR 2 from Christian Knuffinke, UHBIK A from UHE and the fabulous EpicVERB from varietyOfSound, pics, soundexamples and review (german language) you can find here: http://www.buenasideas.de/archives/203
!