Z_Master

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2003
Hardware:
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Primary Master: Fujitsu 20GB MPG3204AT E
Secondary Master: CD-ROM
Secondary Slave: CD-RW
Third Master: Maxtor 60GB 6Y060L0 (RAID 0)
Fourth Master: Maxtor 60GB 6Y060L0 (RAID 0)

Problem:
A few days ago the BIOS stopped detecting the Fujitsu hard drive (which is in a mobile rack). I’ve noticed that every time I go into the BIOS at startup and press Enter on Primary Master, the drive will be detected…but it doesn’t get detected otherwise. After pressing Enter and saving and exiting, I can reboot and the BIOS sees the drive like it should. But once I turn off the computer and turn it on again, the BIOS doesn’t see it anymore; I have to do the Delete/Enter/F10 routine every time I turn on the computer. Once the HD is detected however, it works fine. Windows sees it and chkdsk didn’t find any errors. I tried the Fujitsu diagnostic utility, but it doesn’t detect any hard drive so that didn’t help. Today, I used the rack with the Fujitsu drive on a school computer and it was detected normally. The hard drive is new, so is the motherboard and the cables. Anyone got an idea?

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
try tighten up all the cables... that's all I can say. If not, it could well be your motherboard connector problem rather than your HDD since it can work somewhere else...

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
a trick which sometimes helps: set the POST to normal (not quick) in the bios. Reason: some systems boot too fast for the hd.