Star trek TNG: a final unity game (MS-DOS) not installing

This MS-DOS game won't install. It automatically detects something called
files/buffers as 40/0 and says that the settings need to be 20/20. The
suggested fix is to change the FILES=X and BUFFERS=X lines in something
called CONFIG.SYS. I have searched my computer for this file but have not
found it. Any suggestions as to what to do?
Thanx in advance, Whatever
P.S. i'm running XP home edition SP 2
1 answer Last reply
More about star trek final unity game installing

    Hi,

    When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
    bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
    and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

    With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
    which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

    If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
    tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
    and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
    issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED585C59-DD0D-405E-9BB6-19C0D98CF04F@microsoft.com...
    > This MS-DOS game won't install. It automatically detects something called
    > files/buffers as 40/0 and says that the settings need to be 20/20. The
    > suggested fix is to change the FILES=X and BUFFERS=X lines in something
    > called CONFIG.SYS. I have searched my computer for this file but have not
    > found it. Any suggestions as to what to do?
    > Thanx in advance, Whatever
    > P.S. i'm running XP home edition SP 2

Games MS-DOS Video Games