MN-510 can't connect when SSID not broadcast

Hi,

I've actually had this working fine for months, but moved
my USB Devices around today and now I can't get the MN-
510 to connect to my network unless I broadcast the SSID.

I can disable SSID broadcast while I'm connected and
everything will be fine, but when I reboot the MN-510
can't connect. I found a Microsoft KB article that says
to disable SSID Broadcast after all devices are installed
and configured. Unfortunately, as indicated above, this
doesn't seem to work.

FYI, also seemingly related - I can no longer 'View
Available Wireless Networks', even when I'm connected.

Does anybody have experience dealing with this issue?
6 answers Last reply
More about connect ssid broadcast

    The latest upgrades to the MN-500 family introduced this
    bug. The SSID must be on all the time.

    Probably, the update got downloaded and installed
    automatically by the MNBU (automatic updates can be
    disabled under the Tools|Options).

    Anyway, even with SSID turned off, the network can be
    detected (it just require more software). Most of us have
    been setting up MAC filtering to increase the network
    security. I went as far as setting a VPN between the
    wireless computers on 802.11b network, since WEP can be
    broken easily.

    I was told by a Linksys user, that this is a problem with 802.11b. I had the
    exact same problem with my MN-510 USB device. Everytime I rebooted, I lost
    my connection. I discovered there was another wireless network in the area
    and this may have had something to do with it. I could see their network in
    my "available networks" even though the signal strength was very low. I
    upgraded to the MN-710 (802.11g) and I no longer have the problem.
    Carol

    "Kurt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've actually had this working fine for months, but moved
    > my USB Devices around today and now I can't get the MN-
    > 510 to connect to my network unless I broadcast the SSID.
    >
    > I can disable SSID broadcast while I'm connected and
    > everything will be fine, but when I reboot the MN-510
    > can't connect. I found a Microsoft KB article that says
    > to disable SSID Broadcast after all devices are installed
    > and configured. Unfortunately, as indicated above, this
    > doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > FYI, also seemingly related - I can no longer 'View
    > Available Wireless Networks', even when I'm connected.
    >
    > Does anybody have experience dealing with this issue?

    I had my network as reasonably secure as it could be for a
    802.11b home user. MAC filtering, non-broadcast SSID,
    WEP, etc...

    I know that SSID can still be detected with a passive
    sniffer like Kismet, but there are far more
    Windows/Netstumbler wardrivers than there are Unix/Kismet
    wardrivers. If most of the casual wardrivers don't know
    your network's there, then they won't be tempted to
    connect.

    I found my old wireless network SSID (broadcasted) in a
    database search on the internet, but haven't found my most
    recent SSID. Now that its being broadcast, I'm sure it'll
    show up shortly.

    Thanks anyway, Kurt

    FYI, this is not specifically an 802.11b problem. I've
    had this working fine until the latest firmware upgrade.
    Even since the upgrade, my MN-520 Card still works fine
    (although the software's installed on Win2k, not XP).

    OK

    > FYI, this is not specifically an 802.11b problem. I've
    > had this working fine until the latest firmware upgrade.
    > Even since the upgrade, my MN-520 Card still works fine
    > (although the software's installed on Win2k, not XP).

    I've got this working again after following a tip in
    another post.

    The answer was to revert back to an earlier driver for
    the MN-510. The original driver is Version 1.31.9.0,
    dated 07/14/2002. In swapping USB ports, I reinstalled
    the adapter with the new driver, Version 3.0.4.205, dated
    5/20/2003.

    After reverting back to 1.31.9.0, I'm now able to stop
    broadcasting my SSID--even with reboots.

Routers Connection SSID Microsoft Networking