zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
My motherboard has 3 sockets for memory. Right now I have 512 mb of ram and I have 1 socket left. In the booklet for my mother board it says: "Total system memory (max 3GB)." Can I bring it to 3 GB with one slot left. I don't understand. 3 GB seems too much.

Below is a table that I copied from my mother board booklet:

install DIMMs in any of the following combinations:

DIMM location 168-pin DIMM(SDR) total memory
Socket 1(rows 0&1) 64 mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512, 1gb x1
Socket 2(rows 2&3) 64 mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512, 1gb x1
Socket 3(rows 4&5) 64 mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512, 1gb x1
total system memory (max 3gb)

If I can how can I get 3GB. What kind the modules will I need?

sturm

Splendid
if youo nly have 1 slot left then the max memory you could have right now is 1.5 gb.
You would have to replace the 2 x 256 modules with 2 x 1gb modules and then add another 1gb module, which would be a waste since almost no software for normal home use will use anywhere near 3gb of memory.
Why do you want/need 3gb of memory for?

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Well it's for gaming online with a game called battlefeild 1942. People that know about this games say that the loadings WON'T be alot faster between 512mb of ram and more. Is that true, do you know??? Will the loadings be alittle faster if I add more mb of ram?

I don't want 3 gb. Is 512 mb of ram enough theses days? Will I get better performance in games mostly and surfing the internet if I add more?

sturm

Splendid
I doubt you will see any speed increase by adding more memory. 512 is enough for all games I know of.
Load speeds depend more on hard drive speeds and cpu speeds. Now if you were only running 256 then I would say get more memory.
As far as the internet goes, you could have 10 gb of memory and your speed wouldn't increase any faster than what your getting now. Internet speeds are dependant on what kind of connection you have: cable, dsl, dial-up.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
To EA/Dice, the company that made battlefeild 1942. I asked if adding more momory will help. I also gave them my pc specs. They said to look into adding more memory.

Ok so I have one slot left. I have 3 slots in total and 2 of them have a 256mb of ram module. I want to add another 512 mb of ram. So can I just put a 512 mb module in my slot that is left? Or do the modules in each slot need to have the same amount of memory?

If adding more memory didn't help I will go bitching at EA/Dice. They problobly didn't even look at my specs. I sent them the DXDIAG.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1GB is nice, just buy a 512MB module.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, of course a 256MB and a 512MB module of the same type use the same slot type.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I bought a 256mb of ram module from compu center and I think they gave me the wrong one because it doesn't fit. I never installed ram before but I installed a nic a sound and graphic card without problems.

On the memory stick I trying to install it says:

PL 133-32X8/256 256MB 32x8 pc133

SD RAM 168PIN DIMM

On the last module installed it says:

KVR133X64C3/256 256MB PC 133 DIMM CL3

I also noticed on the one that I'm trying to install the 2 top corners are not the same

So is it possible that they gave me the wrong module???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 02/09/04 04:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
One thing to look for tis the bottom (all the shiny "pins").
There are cut out sections so u can't put the ram in the wrong way

These should line up on your two memory modules.

When u try to put them in, look closely at the "slot" you are going to insert it in and make sure the "cutouts" match up.

Also, u are likely going to have to open/move some locks
(lever like things) to allow the module to go in
The will lock as you put in the module although u may have to help the final locking a bit

The loving are the daring!