Windows load some applications slowly

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have a dell 545s when i have certain applications open i get a message from windows saying my computer performance is slow and when i'm using firefox i have a lot of tabs open the browser pauses when i click on an open tab and it freezes

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
i only have a web browser open and an application that one application causes me to get that message then sometimes i get it while just running firefox i've been told i have a good system i have a intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz my memory is 7gb

I am sure you have tried this but make sure you have updated your version of windows. Also, when you see this problem open your windows task manager (ctrl alt del, task manager) and post what your cpu usuage and memory from the performance tab

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
where do i go to update my verison of windows? the only update i've done is computer updates and i have avast installed my memory usage is 31% but it does down to 17% and 21% and memory 2.06gb i don't see the windows has detected your computer performance is slow message right now while xsplit is open but when i open a tab in firefox some tabs freeze when i click over and makes the website freeze as well this happens when i'm just running firefox

DeusAres

Distinguished
You'll want to tell it to display/show results and then select those results and quarantine them. If it prompts you to restart your system, do it. Then you'll want to go into the control panel and uninstall Avast antivirus. Afterwards, download, install, and update this antivirus program...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

You'll want to run scans with it too. Just to make sure malwarebytes found and cleaned everything.

Then you'll want to check the performance of your system and see if it helped. Make sure you don't get those errors/issues again.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Make sure you don't have both those antivirus programs installed on your computer at the same time. That can be potentially problematic. Make sure you've uninstalled Avast.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
does anyone think i need another processor because right now i have four applications open and my cpu is at 100 i'm doing a virus scan now but i have been wondering should i get a new processor installed

CDdude55

Distinguished

Swapping CPU's (to something like a nice cheap quad core) should help a bit if you're running multiple pieces of software at a time.

Your best course of action is to delete as many UN-used and UN-needed programs as possible.
Example: you have chrome, firefox and siverlight installed. Keep firefox, dump all the rest.
You have 3 media players installed. Dump them all, except windows media player.
You have 2 or 3 CD burner programs, you know what to do with 2 of them...keep ONE.
You are getting it now?
The fewer programs installed, the faster it will run, and the more resources will be free.

Typically, I can delete 20 or more programs, that are totally un needed. Instant speed increase.

AND--the more updates you install, the slower your system will run. (Oh, surprise, surprise, sur-prise!)
Updates do not make the computer run faster--it's just the opposite.
So, install "ONLY" critical updates. Leave the rest, you don't need them.

DeusAres

Distinguished
If you can afford it, I'd say upgrade both the CPU and mobo. Looks like you need an upgrade for the tasks at hand.

And as for deleting all those programs...that's not necessary. Sure, it'll help a little by freeing up space on the HDD, but in the end it comes down to what is actively running in the background or on the screen. I have multiple media players and browsers on my pc. It does just fine. I typically have 0-1% system usage once everything such as google chrome and other applicatons are closed. I don't have any trouble with anything on the HDD using up resources. Simply because resources aren't used until those applications are opened. Those programs typically lie dormant on the HDD until it is prompted by the user.

My advice to you...upgrade your motherboard and CPU. It's gonna be difficult to find a LGA 775 based CPU. I recommend you either grab this CPU...Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Or, if you can, upgrade both your CPU and mobo. What's your budget? Are you comfortable with overclocking. What are you primarily using this system for?

la321

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
i use it to look up things on the internet and research i use windows live messenger and use firefox i have xsplit installed if i have xsplit open with firefox and other programs it goes up to 100 i can pay $250 are there any good processors for the motherboard i have now? i don't know how much it will cost to upgrade my motherboard and processor