Sign in with
Your question

Windows load some applications slowly

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2012 12:53:38 AM

I have a dell 545s when i have certain applications open i get a message from windows saying my computer performance is slow and when i'm using firefox i have a lot of tabs open the browser pauses when i click on an open tab and it freezes
July 29, 2012 1:24:01 AM

You are overtaxing your system and its running out of resources which causes the system to lag or slow down.
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:31:00 AM

i only have a web browser open and an application that one application causes me to get that message then sometimes i get it while just running firefox i've been told i have a good system i have a intel core 2 duo 2.8ghz my memory is 7gb
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2012 1:46:05 AM

I am sure you have tried this but make sure you have updated your version of windows. Also, when you see this problem open your windows task manager (ctrl alt del, task manager) and post what your cpu usuage and memory from the performance tab
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:48:49 AM

Sounds like it's malware related.

Do you have a decent antivirus installed and running?
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:59:09 AM

where do i go to update my verison of windows? the only update i've done is computer updates and i have avast installed my memory usage is 31% but it does down to 17% and 21% and memory 2.06gb i don't see the windows has detected your computer performance is slow message right now while xsplit is open but when i open a tab in firefox some tabs freeze when i click over and makes the website freeze as well this happens when i'm just running firefox
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:02:35 AM

There is a windows update in Windows 7, I agree with Deus to you have an anitvirus installed because you may have a virus
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:48:52 AM

it found 5 threats what antivirus program would someone recommend? and how do i update my windows version?
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:57:23 AM

go into your control panel and click the icon that says windows update
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:01:22 AM

oh i always do those updates
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:02:34 AM

Did you get rid of the threats and restart your PC and see if you are still having the problems?
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:13:39 AM

You'll want to tell it to display/show results and then select those results and quarantine them. If it prompts you to restart your system, do it. Then you'll want to go into the control panel and uninstall Avast antivirus. Afterwards, download, install, and update this antivirus program...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/sec...

You'll want to run scans with it too. Just to make sure malwarebytes found and cleaned everything.

Then you'll want to check the performance of your system and see if it helped. Make sure you don't get those errors/issues again.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:21:29 AM

they were quarantined then i deleted them i just installed windows essentials it's doing a quick scan and doing a full scan
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:22:54 AM

Make sure you don't have both those antivirus programs installed on your computer at the same time. That can be potentially problematic. Make sure you've uninstalled Avast.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:24:55 AM

thanks i already uninstalled avast
m
l
July 29, 2012 5:12:53 AM

it detected more threats 2 of them and they were removed thank you
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:18:51 AM

does anyone think i need another processor because right now i have four applications open and my cpu is at 100 i'm doing a virus scan now but i have been wondering should i get a new processor installed
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 3:52:59 AM

la321 said:
does anyone think i need another processor because right now i have four applications open and my cpu is at 100 i'm doing a virus scan now but i have been wondering should i get a new processor installed

Swapping CPU's (to something like a nice cheap quad core) should help a bit if you're running multiple pieces of software at a time.
m
l
August 5, 2012 4:22:05 AM

i have a intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz what would be a good quad core processor?
m
l
August 5, 2012 4:55:45 AM

Do you know what kind of motherboard you have?
m
l
August 5, 2012 5:28:00 AM

motherboard is intel g33
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 6:05:24 AM

la321 said:
I have a dell 545s when i have certain applications open i get a message from windows saying my computer performance is slow and when i'm using firefox i have a lot of tabs open the browser pauses when i click on an open tab and it freezes

Your best course of action is to delete as many UN-used and UN-needed programs as possible.
Example: you have chrome, firefox and siverlight installed. Keep firefox, dump all the rest.
You have 3 media players installed. Dump them all, except windows media player.
You have 2 or 3 CD burner programs, you know what to do with 2 of them...keep ONE.
You are getting it now?
The fewer programs installed, the faster it will run, and the more resources will be free.

Typically, I can delete 20 or more programs, that are totally un needed. Instant speed increase.

AND--the more updates you install, the slower your system will run. (Oh, surprise, surprise, sur-prise!)
Updates do not make the computer run faster--it's just the opposite.
So, install "ONLY" critical updates. Leave the rest, you don't need them.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:42:40 AM

If you can afford it, I'd say upgrade both the CPU and mobo. Looks like you need an upgrade for the tasks at hand.

And as for deleting all those programs...that's not necessary. Sure, it'll help a little by freeing up space on the HDD, but in the end it comes down to what is actively running in the background or on the screen. I have multiple media players and browsers on my pc. It does just fine. I typically have 0-1% system usage once everything such as google chrome and other applicatons are closed. I don't have any trouble with anything on the HDD using up resources. Simply because resources aren't used until those applications are opened. Those programs typically lie dormant on the HDD until it is prompted by the user.

My advice to you...upgrade your motherboard and CPU. It's gonna be difficult to find a LGA 775 based CPU. I recommend you either grab this CPU...Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Or, if you can, upgrade both your CPU and mobo. What's your budget? Are you comfortable with overclocking. What are you primarily using this system for?
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:01:41 AM

i use it to look up things on the internet and research i use windows live messenger and use firefox i have xsplit installed if i have xsplit open with firefox and other programs it goes up to 100 i can pay $250 are there any good processors for the motherboard i have now? i don't know how much it will cost to upgrade my motherboard and processor
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:50:18 PM

what motherboard should i get for my desktop?
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:22:42 AM

Here's a recommendation. Tried to get the cheapest quad core setup I could find. Barely came in under $250...if it's even that now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.76 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61ICAFE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($72.55 @ Newegg)
Total: $249.31
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-05 23:19 EDT-0400)
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:42:04 AM

So some i5's are quad core?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 4:49:10 AM

la321 said:

If you have a lot of tabs open you might want to close some of them, use a program like CCleaner to remove any internet files. More then likely you have tabs open that are using some of your processor speed. Granted that it mainly uses RAM but some websites use processing power (like facebook) to do automatic updates to refresh the page. Use favorites if your looking to store some of these tabs or use a notepad/stick notes instead.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 5:32:14 AM

I doubt there is a need to upgrade hardware for simple task like web browsing.

It's the Java script often cause hanging in Firefox:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

You usually get them on websites with a lot of pop up.

It will even bring an i7 down on its knee.

Using Adblock Plus to stop those script is the way to go.
m
l
August 6, 2012 6:23:21 AM

Pyree said:
I doubt there is a need to upgrade hardware for simple task like web browsing.

It's the Java script often cause hanging in Firefox:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

You usually get them on websites with a lot of pop up.

It will even bring an i7 down on its knee.

Using Adblock Plus to stop those script is the way to go.

Also, you can do away with firefox and try out google chrome along with adblock plus instead. Google chrome tends to be a bit lighter and faster than firefox....or at least in my experience it has.

@Pyree, wouldn't a quad core help in programs such as Xsplit? Streaming requires a fair bit of CPU power, doesn't it?

@la321, do you do a fair amount of multitasking? Would you consider yourself a heavy user?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 6:36:40 AM

Yes, a faster CPU will help, but the PO said that xsplit runs ok. Just FF is hanging. The script loop will not go away even if you have an i7. So I think I will let PO decide if he/she wants the extra performance for xsplite, after this problem is solved. Fix the problem one by one my friend.
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:08:40 AM

Sure you are not at the same time, two anti-virus program installed on your computer
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:14:17 PM

no xsplit doesn't run ok i do a lot of multitasking i have firefox open windows live messenger and a playlist player open and it takes up a lot of my resources cpu usage at 100% when i checked on processor in task manager it was at 79 for xsplit
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:06:16 PM

la321 said:
So some i5's are quad core?

Yes, most i5 desktop processors are quad core.

Quote:
no xsplit doesn't run ok i do a lot of multitasking i have firefox open windows live messenger and a playlist player open and it takes up a lot of my resources cpu usage at 100% when i checked on processor in task manager it was at 79 for xsplit

In that case, a hardware upgrade may be in order. Before you do hardware upgrades, install this
http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

As suggested by Pyree, this may resolve the problem.

If not, then you'll want to look into upgrading your motherboard and CPU.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:11:01 PM

i've already had adblock plus installed for a while
m
l
August 8, 2012 7:57:14 PM

i talked the guy who repairs my computer he said i could get a new motherboard and get a amd phenom 6 core
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 9:35:19 PM

So exactly how much RAM do you have? How many process are you running?
m
l
August 8, 2012 9:42:32 PM

i have 7gb and i have 2 cores which the programs i run take up 100% of my cpu my mom said to buy this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+-+8... but the guy and me at the repair shop were saying the phenom is equivalent to the i7 and amd is cheaper xsplit takes up 79 of my processes
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:04:27 AM

i'm telling her it's cheaper to get it upgraded becuase the new computer costs over $600 then would have to pay to get the graphics card moved over to the new one so it will be cheaper just to get it upgraded now she sees what i'm telling her
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 3:26:24 PM

la321 said:
i have 7gb and i have 2 cores which the programs i run take up 100% of my cpu my mom said to buy this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Desktop+-+8... but the guy and me at the repair shop were saying the phenom is equivalent to the i7 and amd is cheaper xsplit takes up 79 of my processes

You have installed too many applications
m
l
August 9, 2012 4:12:07 PM

which graphics card is better AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 G5 graphics and i don't have many applications installed
m
l
!