RAID 0 Disk Replacement

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I've got one of my RAID 0 hard drives going bad. I want to replace the two hard drives with a new, larger array. How do I copy data from my existing array to the new one? This sounds complicated but I was thinking that I can slave one of the new drives, copy the existing array data over to it and then slave one of the old functioning drives, copy the data again, and then set up my new RAID array and then copy the data to it. Any better ideas?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That does sound complicated but I don't think there's another way, unless you can set so that the 2 arrays work at the same time, that should save a lot of time.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Thanks for the post. I decided to can it and go without RAID as it was too much trouble. However, I bought a new WD 200 GB HDD, and it comes with a Ultra ATA card. My mobo supports "Ultra DMA." My questions are:
1. What is the difference between Ultra DMA and Ultra ATA
2. Do I need to use the included card if my mobo supports Ultra DMA?

JavaLawyer

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
An alternative option for keeping RAID is to purchase a RAID controller card. The price of a SATA PCI RAID contoller card with 4-ports is down to ~$40. You can implement RAID 1 or better and benefit from the redundancy RAID offers, which of course, is the real strength of using RAID in the first place. If a drive goes bad, you can swap a new drive in without losing any data.

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Thanks, but I was using a RAID 0 for performance. I don't really need redundancy - I play alot of games, and the RAID really does load the games faster.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
1. Its just another name for the same thing
2. I see no need for that. Of course performance-wise it is best to install all devices on a separate channel.

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Thanks. When I tried installing the Western Digital 200GB hard drive to the IDE channel controlled by the ICH4 controller (supposedly Ultra DMA) Windows XP only saw 137 GB. I had the latest BIOS, and the mobo is only a year old (Asus P4B533-E). Western Digital tech support says that as long as 48 bit LBA is supported, it should work and not require the add-in PCI Ultra ATA card. Asus says that the ICH4 controller supports 48 bit LBA. What gives?
I ended up installing the drive on the Promise RAID controller channel as a single hard drive (it sees the drive as a RAID 0+1 stripe). Is there a performance penalty doing it this way?