Opinions wanted see inside

Last response: in Home Audio
September 21, 2005 1:30:47 AM

Have an opportunity to pick up the following items cheap, are they any
good?

Symetrix cl-150 compressor/limiter
Inkel PA 838 power amp
Soundcraft Series 1624 console
MCI 24 track 2" reel to reel

I figure the Soundcraft should be a huge step up from my Mackie 32-8
and the Symmetrix comps should be better than the Behringer and Alesis
comps I already have, but have no experience on the items listed above.

Just looking for some opinions.

Norm!!

More about : opinions wanted inside

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:30:48 AM

Norm!! wrote On 09/20/05 14:30,:
> Have an opportunity to pick up the following items cheap, are they any
> good?
>
> Symetrix cl-150 compressor/limiter
> Inkel PA 838 power amp
> Soundcraft Series 1624 console
> MCI 24 track 2" reel to reel
>

> I figure the Soundcraft should be a huge step up from my Mackie 32-8
> and the Symmetrix comps should be better than the Behringer and Alesis
> comps I already have, but have no experience on the items listed above.
>
> Just looking for some opinions.
>
> Norm!!

The MCI 24 track will need care and feeding. Maintenance is essential on this unit to keep it
optimal. And head relapping could cost you. Make sure it has the remote included as these are not
always so easy to find separately. Find a calibration tape, too.

The console should be okay, but that, too, may require maintenance and be the deal killer because
the cost, unless you do this stuff yourself, can be pricey.

If possible, have an independent service rep go over these two items and give you their assessment
of the condition, what works, what doesn't and how much it will run to put them back in shape. That
could influence your decision.

Good luck in any event.

--fletch