linux install and uninstall

I am fairly new to Linux. I have been doing my reading to try to learn the operating system though. I have Mandrake 8.2 booting as my default operating system.. unfortunatly on a 1.8 gig Hdd, so i have very limited space.

Anyway the question is:
After downloading, compiling, and installing a tarball can i remove the derectory that the decompression of the tarball created? or does the installation just create symbolic links to this directory?

Question 2:
How do I uninstall a package? do i have to go in and look for logs and delete each file manually?

If someone could point me to a good reading on the subject or another post I would definitly apreciate it.

Happy Linuxing..
4 answers Last reply
More about linux install uninstall
  1. 1) You can remove the tarball directory if you ran a `make install` which would normally copy files to outside the direcory. You might want to keep a copy of the Makefile for part 2...

2) You can uninstall an rpm using rpm -e <package-name>, and some tarball sources have a `make uninstall` option.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>
  2. so if i installed a tarball that did not come with an uninstall i would be up a creek?
  3. You just have to locate the directory where the installed program is and delete it.
  4. not totally. you could decipher the Makefile(s) and figure out where the file got "make installed" to, and delete them manually.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Linux