Toshiba DVD-RW (reliability)

carln

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2003
I'm about to buy a new laptop and the vendor has told me that the onboard DVD-RW drive is made by Toshiba. Are Toshiba a reliable manufacturer of these drives, or am I likely to have trouble with it in the future.

Thanks for the help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by carln on 10/18/03 07:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

carln

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2003
Go on - somebdy must have a toshiba drive

P.S. How shameless is this, replying to my own post in order to stoke up interest.

carln

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2003
Ah come on, the message has been here for days and I know at least 25 of you have read it, are toshiba drives that rare that nobody has one, and nobody knows someone who has one?

If so I probably shouldn't get one.

Thanks again

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
My buddy has a toshiba in his Satellite laptop...he's had it for 8 months...no problems whatsoever. He's got over a hundred burns from movies on it. So far so good. Hope this helps.

----------
<b>Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau? </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

TKS

DJ_Kuehn

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
This probably won't help, but since noone else has said much I'll go ahead anyway. In my old system (which I still use) I have a toshiba DVD drive (just a reader, LONG before dvd burners). Granted, this was 5 years ago, but the thing was a piece of [-peep-] from day 1. It has always taken FOREVER to spin up a CD after loading (20+ seconds) and always ran quite a bit slower than it's rating. It was obviously fairly poor quality because it always sounds horrible when it opens and closes and the tray has always been pretty loose when extended. Also, lately, the thing has started to lock every now and then which forces to have to pry it open (and it really hasn't been used that much over the time i've had it, I use my HP CDRW drive 90% of the time).

Like I said, its old so it might not be that relevant, but it was bad enough to prevent me from buying toshiba drives for any of the systems I've built since. Just my 2 cents...

TRENDING THREADS