Flickering videos with Majestic Chess

We've been enjoying Majestic Chess for about 1 year. Suddenly
one day I found all the text displays (instructions, stories etc)
have flickering video displays.

At first, I blamed it on the CD being scratch. Order a new
one, reinstall it. The problem is still there. Use a
different CD drive altogether thinking it might have been the
drive issue, but still get the same issue.

Now, I'm really confused. What could the problem be, anyone?

Raymond
5 answers Last reply
More about flickering videos majestic chess
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    This problem certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the CD or CD
    drive. Something must have changed in the software or settings on your
    computer (although you may not have been aware of it).

    Between the last successful time you ran Majestic Chess and the first
    time it looked wrong, did you install any new hardware, perform any
    Windows Updates, or even install any other software? Maybe change any
    of your computer's display settings?

    jm
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Mine does the same thing, what a waste of money, I got rid of it
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    I install the newer CD on a laptop that never has any installation
    before.
    The program has no problem in that setup. SO this makes me think
    what jm suggested might be worth pursuing.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    I just realized that we wrote something about this in the Majestic
    Chess FAQ, which used to be posted on the Vivendi Games Forum site
    (accessible via www.vugames.com). However, they seem to be in the
    process of redoing that entire site, and the Hoyle Games section is not
    currently available.

    You could wait to see if they bring that section back online, or you
    could call their Tech Support. They should have something about this
    problem. I vaguely recall that it had to do with video card drivers,
    but I'm not certain.

    jm
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    It's the graphic controller driver. I rolled it back to a previous
    version and the problem went away.

    BTW Vivendi Games decided not to support any Hoyle Games any more!

    Raymond

PC gaming Video Displays Video Games