Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Shark Shield Device Fails, Becomes Shark Food

Tags:
  • Shark
  • Devices
Last response: in News comments
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2008 10:12:21 PM

An anti-shark device became shark food after it failed spectacularly in the waters near South Africa. This shocking (ok maybe not so shocking) information came to light during an inquest held in South Australia over the death of a swimmer who was wearing the same device.

Shark Shield Device Fails, Becomes Shark Food : Read more

More about : shark shield device fails shark food

Anonymous
September 9, 2011 4:15:10 AM

To Whom it May Concern,

Informatoin presented here is not correct, it is clearly stated in the coroners findings of Jarod Stebhens death that he was not wearing a shark sheild device. I have no interest either way or the other in the matter, however simply expect people who post such informatoin do so accaurately.
For anyone wishing verification on this matter they can go to webpage,

http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/courts/coroner/findings/fin...

for the accurate story.

regards,
Joshua Fergusson
Score
1
September 9, 2011 6:18:31 AM

I'm not sure what prompted you to bring up a news item over 3 years old, but I thank you for the sad and interesting read.
Score
-1
Anonymous
January 31, 2013 12:45:36 AM

In actual fact the diver did NOT wear a shark shield. See below extraction from the enquiry:

"Neither diver was wearing an electrical device known as a shark shield at the time.

Mr Rowntree told the court he believed there was a "low risk" of encountering a Great White shark off Adelaide's suburban beaches.

"Sometimes we would have a bit of a joke about it, just knowing that they are out there," he said.

Mr Rowntree said while he was unaware there were shark shields on the boat, he probably would not have worn one anyway.

"The ones that existed, that apparently were on the boat at the time were big cumbersome things," he said.

Mr Rowntree said the shark shields were "annoying" to wear and often gave divers small electric shocks underwater.

The court heard that the wearing of shark shields was made compulsory by the university after the tragic attack.

The inquest before Deputy Coroner Anthony Schapel continues."

Next time get your Facts straight!!!!
Score
0
!