gunshot through PA system??!!

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 21, 2005 6:13:54 PM

We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3

The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.

TIA Peter

More about : gunshot system

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 6:13:55 PM

Peter <alias@snowcrest.net> wrote:
>We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
>gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
>without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
>the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
>just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
>versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
>http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
>http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>
>The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.

Don't worry so much, since the really isn't all that much low end in
a typical gunshot.

You may find that a gunshot recorded with a 421L sounds better than
a more accurate recording, since that is what people are used to hearing
in the movies. You may also find that a lot of fake reverb makes it
sound better.

You might also find that a starter's pistol fired in the wings gives
a more realistic sound and is a lot less work.
--scott
September 21, 2005 6:13:55 PM

Why don't you just shoot the Guy?
Actors are easy come by... :o )
September 21, 2005 7:30:05 PM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:13:54 GMT, Peter wrote:

> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
> gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
> without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
> the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
> just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
> versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>
> The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.
>
> TIA Peter

You may be better off creating your own. The problem is that you can't get
very much sound level with a very narrow spike - you need to cheat by
making it last longer. Generate .1 second of white noise, and put a quick
fade on it. EQ it to raise the bass and make it meatier. Now add some
reverb to suit the location of the gun shot. This will sound quite a lot
louder. The last thing you want it to sound like is a gun. Guns sound
nothing like guns (if you know what I mean).

One specific problem with the sample you post is that the cocking of the
gun happens in a different place to the shot. You would really be better
just to drop the gun-cocking sound altogether - it is a horrible cliche,
always badly done, and would give the game away to the chap about to be
shot anyway.

September 21, 2005 7:45:58 PM

Try this...
http://www.thepocket.com/wavs/44magnum1.wav

Guy

Peter wrote:
> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
> gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
> without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
> the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
> just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
> versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>
> The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.
>
> TIA Peter
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:45:59 PM

Bigguy wrote:
> Try this...
> http://www.thepocket.com/wavs/44magnum1.wav

Very cool site! Thanks,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:53:37 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> You might also find that a starter's pistol fired in the wings gives
> a more realistic sound and is a lot less work.

Yeah, but he'd probably want to control it with MIDI.
September 21, 2005 8:11:26 PM

well actually the cocking was there on purpose so the actor reacts
simultaneously with the shot.... and you are right about the stereo
panning... I can fix that, but the house gets fed mono anyway...

thx!
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:30:05 +0100, Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:13:54 GMT, Peter wrote:
>
>> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
>> gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
>> without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
>> the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
>> just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
>> versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
>> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
>> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>>
>> The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.
>>
>> TIA Peter
>
>You may be better off creating your own. The problem is that you can't get
>very much sound level with a very narrow spike - you need to cheat by
>making it last longer. Generate .1 second of white noise, and put a quick
>fade on it. EQ it to raise the bass and make it meatier. Now add some
>reverb to suit the location of the gun shot. This will sound quite a lot
>louder. The last thing you want it to sound like is a gun. Guns sound
>nothing like guns (if you know what I mean).
>
>One specific problem with the sample you post is that the cocking of the
>gun happens in a different place to the shot. You would really be better
>just to drop the gun-cocking sound altogether - it is a horrible cliche,
>always badly done, and would give the game away to the chap about to be
>shot anyway.

September 21, 2005 9:54:32 PM

On 9/21/05 10:13 AM, in article q4q2j1tn2tg307au6qo6dq2k1h48obn1ad@4ax.com,
"Peter" <alias@snowcrest.net> wrote:

> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
> gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
> without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
> the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
> just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
> versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>
> The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.

I;ve NEVER done a show design where a recorded gunshot works worth a damn
(unless it;s some odd, weird special-fantasy or distant thing).
That's why blanks exist.
Only thing that even comes SORTA close is Randy Thom's design and execution
for the custom install and sound design for TERMINATOR 3D in Universal
Orlando and you don;t have THAT much money!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:11:50 PM

Peter <alias@snowcrest.net> wrote:

> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
> gunshot...

Bugger recordings, do it 'live':

Take a wooden plank 1" thick, 6" wide and 2' 6" long. Place one end on
the floor and stand on that end with one of your boots, heel at the
lowest end. Lift the other end with your hand (use a piece of string if
you can't reach forward far enough) until it is at an angle of
30-degrees to the floor.

Bear down heavily with your toes and let go with your hand.

Gunshot!

(Alternatively hold the plank in the 30-degree position with your hand
at the lower end. Simultaneously let go and belt it down onto the floor
with a 1 Kg lump hammer - if you get the timing wrong you will only do
that once)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

When I saw this thread, I was going to suggest that you shoot a Peavey PA
system.

;oP

"Peter" <alias@snowcrest.net> wrote in message
> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
> gunshot... Any advice on approach to testing the PA system's response
> without blowing a speaker will be appreciated.... Gradually increase
> the gain until it sounds convincing enough or until the sound becomes
> just a bit distorted then back off, whichever comes first??? I have 2
> versions if anyone wants to listen to it...
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.aiff
> http://www.snowcrest.net/bohemian/gunshot.mp3
>
> The mp3 is definitely lacking even though encoded at 320K with iTunes.
>
> TIA Peter
September 22, 2005 1:14:06 AM

the Guy happens to be my kid... maybe...... :)

great idea about the wood... don't wanna shoot even blanks, but a
good idea

On 21 Sep 2005 13:02:02 -0700, "studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote:

>Why don't you just shoot the Guy?
>Actors are easy come by... :o )
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:59:30 AM

On 9/21/05 2:11 PM, in article
1h395mb.1eau3fd1in1s3eN%poppy.uk@ukonline.invalid.invalid, "Adrian
Tuddenham" <poppy.uk@ukonline.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Peter <alias@snowcrest.net> wrote:
>
>> We're doing a show in which an actor gets shot... so I recorded a
>> gunshot...
>
> Bugger recordings, do it 'live':
>
> Take a wooden plank 1" thick, 6" wide and 2' 6" long. Place one end on
> the floor and stand on that end with one of your boots, heel at the
> lowest end. Lift the other end with your hand (use a piece of string if
> you can't reach forward far enough) until it is at an angle of
> 30-degrees to the floor.
>
> Bear down heavily with your toes and let go with your hand.
>
> Gunshot!

This is just INCREDIBLY mundane and boring as a technique and nobody does it
much anymore and you gotta **believe** man when you get it right you bloody
DEAFEN PEOPLE!!! (and the rest jerk upright in their seats!)...
And no expensive guns/blanks/pryo-licences/etc!

> (Alternatively hold the plank in the 30-degree position with your hand
> at the lower end. Simultaneously let go and belt it down onto the floor
> with a 1 Kg lump hammer - if you get the timing wrong you will only do
> that once)

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:59:31 AM

>Bugger recordings, do it 'live':

You'll probably get tighter timing, it's less likely to break down
unexpectedly, the sound is coming from the right place, and it's one
less thing for the sound tech to worry about. Works for me.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:00:56 AM

On 9/21/05 6:44 PM, in article dgsnni01k6o@enews3.newsguy.com, "Bob Cain"
<arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

> Bigguy wrote:
>> Try this...
>> http://www.thepocket.com/wavs/44magnum1.wav

Nice for a tv track but it's just SOOO diapghram-bottom tape-overlaoded...
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:31:49 AM

"Peter" <bohemiansp0m@snowcrest.net> wrote in message
> the Guy happens to be my kid... maybe...... :)

You could always have another?!

Rv!
!