Where does iTunes store playlists?

I'm using iTunes for Windows 5.0.1.4 and Acoustica label printer 2.34
to burn CDs and print labels. I have several playlists set up in
iTunes from which I have burned CDs. I now want to print labels with
the track names included. Acoustica says it can import track info from
the playlist from which the CD was created, but I can't find any of
the playlists outside of iTunes.

The samples that came with iTunes appear on my hard disk with an
extension of WPL. I've searched all my hard disks for that extension
and only turn up the samples.
6 answers Last reply
More about where itunes store playlists

    In article <i443j1peds61n59hu56tel5f37kv6psktd@4ax.com>,
    infodex@mindspring.com says...
    > I'm using iTunes for Windows 5.0.1.4 and Acoustica label printer 2.34
    > to burn CDs and print labels. I have several playlists set up in
    > iTunes from which I have burned CDs. I now want to print labels with
    > the track names included. Acoustica says it can import track info from
    > the playlist from which the CD was created, but I can't find any of
    > the playlists outside of iTunes.
    >
    > The samples that came with iTunes appear on my hard disk with an
    > extension of WPL. I've searched all my hard disks for that extension
    > and only turn up the samples.

    Never looked for it before; but, I believe the WPL files are Play Lists
    for "Windows Media Player" not iTunes. Many of the files are in your My
    Documents folder, try here->

    C:\Documents and Settings\~name~\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
    --
    I. Care

    I. Care <icare@whocares.com> wrote:

    >Never looked for it before; but, I believe the WPL files are Play Lists
    >for "Windows Media Player" not iTunes.

    That's possible. I used Windows Media before switching to iTunes.

    >Many of the files are in your My
    >Documents folder, try here->
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\~name~\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

    That's where the actual music files are, but no trace of my playlists.
    All my playlists begin with "CD": CD Warren Zevon, CD Meatloaf, etc.
    I've searched the entire hard disk for files beginning with "CD" and
    can't find any.

    Richard Evans <infodex@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >That's where the actual music files are, but no trace of my playlists.
    >All my playlists begin with "CD": CD Warren Zevon, CD Meatloaf, etc.
    >I've searched the entire hard disk for files beginning with "CD" and
    >can't find any.

    I figured it out. You have to first File > Export the playlist to save
    it as a TXT file. Thereafter, Acoustica can import the TXT file.

    In article <pq83j1lidho2925rh9845qcr870ck03o30@4ax.com>,
    infodex@mindspring.com says...
    > I. Care <icare@whocares.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Never looked for it before; but, I believe the WPL files are Play Lists
    > >for "Windows Media Player" not iTunes.
    >
    > That's possible. I used Windows Media before switching to iTunes.
    >
    > >Many of the files are in your My
    > >Documents folder, try here->
    > >
    > >C:\Documents and Settings\~name~\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
    >
    > That's where the actual music files are, but no trace of my playlists.
    > All my playlists begin with "CD": CD Warren Zevon, CD Meatloaf, etc.
    > I've searched the entire hard disk for files beginning with "CD" and
    > can't find any.

    Here is a copy of part of an iTunes file labeled
    iTunes Music Library.xml

    I found it in the folder I listed above.

    You might be able to extract the info you want from this type of file.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist (View Source for full doctype...)>
    - <plist version="1.0">
    - <dict>
    <key>Major Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Minor Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Application Version</key>
    <string>5.0</string>
    <key>Music Folder</key>
    <string>file://localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%
    20Documents/My%20Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>
    <key>Library Persistent ID</key>
    <string>54ACC1B86C04BC5E</string>
    <key>Tracks</key>
    - <dict>
    <key>38</key>
    - <dict>
    <key>Track ID</key>
    <integer>38</integer>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>Our Prayer/Gee</string>
    <key>Artist</key>
    <string>Brian Wilson</string>
    <key>Composer</key>
    <string>Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks</string>
    <key>Album</key>
    <string>Smile</string>
    <key>Genre</key>
    <string>Pop</string>
    <key>Kind</key>
    <string>AIFF audio file</string>
    <key>Size</key>
    <integer>22786086</integer>
    <key>Total Time</key>
    <integer>129160</integer>
    <key>Disc Number</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Disc Count</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Track Number</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Track Count</key>
    <integer>17</integer>
    <key>Year</key>
    <integer>2004</integer>
    <key>Date Modified</key>
    <date>2004-10-25T18:46:19Z</date>
    <key>Date Added</key>
    <date>2004-10-25T18:46:11Z</date>
    <key>Bit Rate</key>
    <integer>1411</integer>
    <key>Sample Rate</key>
    <integer>44100</integer>
    <key>Play Count</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Play Date</key>
    <integer>-1113417592</integer>
    <key>Play Date UTC</key>
    <date>2004-10-25T18:48:24Z</date>
    <key>Track Type</key>
    <string>File</string>
    <key>Location</key>
    <string>file://localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%
    20Documents/My%20Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Brian%20Wilson/Smile/01%
    20Our%20Prayer_Gee.aif</string>
    <key>File Folder Count</key>
    <integer>4</integer>
    <key>Library Folder Count</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    --
    I. Care

    try highlighting the first song, hold down the shift key and
    hightlight the last song to highlight all songs in the playlist....
    control-c to copy... open word or another word processor and control-v
    to paste.... it is that easy on the MAC... also works in Toast, the
    CD burning software-of-choice on the MAC
    Peter
    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:00:18 GMT, Richard Evans
    <infodex@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >I'm using iTunes for Windows 5.0.1.4 and Acoustica label printer 2.34
    >to burn CDs and print labels. I have several playlists set up in
    >iTunes from which I have burned CDs. I now want to print labels with
    >the track names included. Acoustica says it can import track info from
    >the playlist from which the CD was created, but I can't find any of
    >the playlists outside of iTunes.
    >
    >The samples that came with iTunes appear on my hard disk with an
    >extension of WPL. I've searched all my hard disks for that extension
    >and only turn up the samples.

    I. Care <icare@whocares.com> wrote:

    >Here is a copy of part of an iTunes file labeled
    >iTunes Music Library.xml

    The Export Library command exports information about your entire
    library to an XML file. I doubt Acoustica could parse individual
    playlists from it.

    On the other hand, Export Song List exports individual playlists as
    TXT files, which Acoustica can import.

Pro Audio iTunes Hard Drives Audio