Digital audio connections help?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 21, 2005 8:05:52 PM

Hey-

Was wondering if anyone knew anything here about digital audio
connections on audio systems? My system has both optical (fiber optic)

as well as coaxil. I want to connect my DVD player up digitally to the

system. Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxil? I
thought I heard somewhere that coaxil is a 'slower' connection and
optical gets the signal thru faster?

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

P.S. Any difference is sound quality between the two as well?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:43:20 PM

Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> system. Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxil?

1) It's spelled "coaxial".

2) In consumer equipment, I believe they're running at the same data
rate and sending exactly the same bits. Use whichever one's available
and/or convenient.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:18:22 AM

Sseadoubleyou <Sseadoubleyou@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Was wondering if anyone knew anything here about digital audio
>connections on audio systems? My system has both optical (fiber optic)
>
>as well as coaxil. I want to connect my DVD player up digitally to the
>
>system. Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxil? I
>thought I heard somewhere that coaxil is a 'slower' connection and
>optical gets the signal thru faster?

Either one is fine. Both should be bit-for-bit accurate.
Use whichever you have a cable for lying around.
--scott

September 22, 2005 1:25:29 AM

"Sseadoubleyou" <Sseadoubleyou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey-
>

> Was wondering if anyone knew anything here about digital
> audio connections on audio systems? My system has both
> optical (fiber optic)
>
> as well as coaxil. I want to connect my DVD player up
> digitally to the system.

Good idea, this will make things simpler and avoid possible
redundant conversions between digital and analog

>Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxial?

Either it doesn't matter, or the optical connection is
better because it helps you avoid grounding problems.

> I thought I heard somewhere that coaxil is a
> 'slower' connection and optical gets the signal thru
> faster?

You hear lots of weird stuff. For a cable as short as one
finds in a home stereo, the time delay due to the cable
itself is totally forgettable.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 7:16:37 AM

Sseadoubleyou wrote:

> Hey-
>
> Was wondering if anyone knew anything here about digital audio
> connections on audio systems? My system has both optical (fiber optic)
>
> as well as coaxil. I want to connect my DVD player up digitally to the
>
> system. Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxil?

Neither is better since digital is an on-off " it's there or it isn't "
kind of system so an interface doesn't have any quality issues per se. Very
long cables would introduce problems though due to signal 'degradation',
the waveform would lose integrity.

> thought I heard somewhere that coaxil is a 'slower' connection and
> optical gets the signal thru faster?
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

Very early Toslink optical diodes had only around 6 MHz bandwidth which was
'just enough' to do the job. Current ones are have greater bandwidth. This
doesn't affect the quality of the recovered audio though. I expect this is
what's been most likely used to cast doubt on optical connections. Again,
it's realy only an issue with long interconnects.

Graham
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 9:40:28 PM

In article <uOadnTR2N-UNmq_eRVn-2A@comcast.com>, arnyk@hotpop.com says...

>>Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxial?
>
>Either it doesn't matter, or the optical connection is
>better because it helps you avoid grounding problems.

Those optical cables are far more susceptible to damage though, they're pretty
fragile.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 9:40:29 PM

"Chevdo" <chevdo@chevdont.com> wrote in message
> In article <uOadnTR2N-UNmq_eRVn-2A@comcast.com>,
> arnyk@hotpop.com says...
>>

>>> Which digital connection is better, optical or coaxial?
>>
>> Either it doesn't matter, or the optical connection is
>> better because it helps you avoid grounding problems.
>>

> Those optical cables are far more susceptible to damage
> though, they're pretty fragile.

In general you're right because toslink tends to be stiff.
However I lucked out the last time I needed a bunch of
toslink cables, and caught a close-out at Radio Shack.
Those cables were almost as limber as regular coax such as
is used for digital audio.
!