Digi002 or FW-1884 or MOTU or ????

Last response: in Home Audio
September 21, 2005 9:19:44 PM

Hello all,
I'd like to purchase a rig for creating a DAW out of a Macintosh for a
music-school. Sound quality is not paramount, so I am considering
whether I should go for an all-in-one solution (such as Digi002) or the
-hopefully- simple integration of Logic and a FW-1884.

The point is, I don't see why I should spend the extra $$$ for the Pro
Tools solution. Can someone discuss the advantages of one vs. the
other? Are these two proposals functionally equivalent or am I
comparing apples to kumquats?

Thanks a lot in advance,
--
7c

More about : digi002 1884 motu

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:43:53 AM

Sete Cordas <sete_cordas@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>I'd like to purchase a rig for creating a DAW out of a Macintosh for a
>music-school. Sound quality is not paramount, so I am considering
>whether I should go for an all-in-one solution (such as Digi002) or the
>-hopefully- simple integration of Logic and a FW-1884.
>
>The point is, I don't see why I should spend the extra $$$ for the Pro
>Tools solution. Can someone discuss the advantages of one vs. the
>other? Are these two proposals functionally equivalent or am I
>comparing apples to kumquats?

If you want kids to learn Pro Tools, you want to use Pro Tools. And
I think teaching the Pro Tools interface is considered a big advantage
in a classroom situation. If you want to teach the theory and basic
technique, you can use any DAW system you want because the basic ideas
are the same. But if you use Pro Tools, more kids will sign up to learn
it. Don't ask me why. It's marketing.
--scott

September 22, 2005 1:26:57 PM

On 2005-09-21 17:43:53 -0700, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) said:

> Sete Cordas <sete_cordas@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...] should go for an all-in-one solution (such as Digi002) or the
>> -hopefully- simple integration of Logic and a FW-1884.
> [...] if you use Pro Tools, more kids will sign up to learn
> it. Don't ask me why. It's marketing.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Truth be told, I hadn't even considered
the teaching aspect of the DAW, and was planning on getting one only to
provide recording capabilities for the more advanced music students.

So thanks a lot for the idea. (Even if it means less $$$ for other
purposes, such as that dream guitar ;-).

Best,
--
7c
September 22, 2005 4:41:19 PM

To answer Scott's "why" that's easy. If they actually do want to
persue a job, most professional facilities use Pro Tools. If you don't
know PT, it's hard to intern anywhere, much less get a paying job.

later,
September 24, 2005 6:48:46 AM

Practically... PT is very easy to use, excellent interface, great audio but
very basic in the midi department - Logic is good for audio and absolutely
excellent in the midi dept but very steep learning curve. Lots of
opinions/help at www.macmusic.org/agora/
Fred