looking for 3D chess

Hi guys,

This may be somewhat an unusual request but if anybody cares to help me
I would really apreciate it. I'm looking for a computer chess program,
not for the sake of playing it (although, sometimes I *do* play chess,
you know :)), but for an art project. What I want to do is to make some
screenshots of the chess board (with pieces on it, of course) and use it
as a main motive in an art picture. To achieve that, I came to the
conclusion that I need a game that fullfills certain criteria, which are:

First, mandatory criteria:
- a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
- ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot,
I already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is
very important

Non-mandatory criteria:
- it would be helpful if a game has a few 'skins', with different boards
and/or pieces available.. so that I could try different feels of it
- it would also be nice if the game is available in some sort of
trial/demo mode, as I really can't afford to buy the game just in order
to make a few screenshots

As there are hundreds of chess programs out there and I cant download
and try out all of them (well, so far I have tried maybe a dozen..), I
would really appreciate it if somebody could recommend me a computer
game that meets at least the upper two criteria. Thanks!!

ASP

> First, mandatory criteria:
> - a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
> the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
> - ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot, I
> already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is very
> important

Fritz 8 does that; though I'm not sure if you'd be satisfied with the
rendering. Looks pretty good to me, but then I'm not an artist.

> Non-mandatory criteria:
> - it would be helpful if a game has a few 'skins', with different boards
> and/or pieces available.. so that I could try different feels of it

They do have that, but I don't think there are a lot of choices.

> - it would also be nice if the game is available in some sort of
> trial/demo mode, as I really can't afford to buy the game just in order to
> make a few screenshots

I don't think they do that, but you could look for a cheap version on eBay.
Since Fritz 9 is out, Fritz8 should be cheap. In fact, I think you can get
it directly from Chessbase for $25 or less. Look around the various dealers,
you might be able to find it new for $25 or less. Some may have free
shipping.

A question: What are the copyright considerations for something like this?
I've thought about decorating a web page with a screenshot of a Fritz 3D
board and wondered if that violated copyright. I mean if anyone ever
complained, I could ditch the decoration and I doubt anyone would want to
pursue legal action after that.
But you're talking about an art project, which, if you're lucky, could be in
a museum or gallery for decades. What if Chessbase said, you can't use that
image, your artwork would be toast, so to speak.

I realize this is unlikely to happen in the real world, but I am curious
about the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this slightly off-topic
question?

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Take a look at a lot of screenshots of the Chessmaster series (both
CM9000 and CM 10th Edition). Tell me if you like any of the chess sets.

Then give me an idea of the position you want to set up and the camera
angle you want to use, and I'll try to make you a screenshot. Go ahead
and reply via personal e-mail when you're ready.

jm

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

There's a free trial version of Chessmaster 10th Edition that you
should look at before you decide to purchase either version. You might
be able to get what you need without buying anything!

jm

D Persica wrote:
>>First, mandatory criteria:
>>- a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
>>the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
>>- ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot, I
>>already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is very
>>important
>

> Fritz 8 does that; though I'm not sure if you'd be satisfied with the
> rendering. Looks pretty good to me, but then I'm not an artist.

I've looked at some screenshots, and yes, there are sets that look very
appealing, especially the ones that are kind of shiny (marble,
aluminium,..). I think I may very well go with that. Thanks for the
suggestion!

> A question: What are the copyright considerations for something like this?
> I've thought about decorating a web page with a screenshot of a Fritz 3D
> board and wondered if that violated copyright. I mean if anyone ever
> complained, I could ditch the decoration and I doubt anyone would want to
> pursue legal action after that.
> But you're talking about an art project, which, if you're lucky, could be in
> a museum or gallery for decades. What if Chessbase said, you can't use that
> image, your artwork would be toast, so to speak.

I'm not a professional artist, so I really don't expect to see my work
hang in a gallery or something. In best case, if I'm happy with the
result, I'll print a poster and hang it on a wall at home. :)

Now, if we take the hypothetical case of using a piece of intellectual
property and use it in another product... I'm not a lawyer (and not even
an American), but I think there is a U.S. law that allows some kind of
exception to the rule which protects intellectual property, called "fair
use". If I recall correctly, you can use a piece of IP for some things,
like parody, art, and stuff like that, even if it's protected. So, maybe
that's our escape hatch. :)

ASP

JVMerlino@aol.com wrote:

> Take a look at a lot of screenshots of the Chessmaster series (both
> CM9000 and CM 10th Edition). Tell me if you like any of the chess sets.

I've checked it out and yes, it has some nice sets.

> Then give me an idea of the position you want to set up and the camera
> angle you want to use, and I'll try to make you a screenshot. Go ahead
> and reply via personal e-mail when you're ready.

First, let me thank you for your kind offer. As I excpect to do a lot of
fine tuning (regarding the point of view), I think the proposed solution
would be kind of impractical. I will aquire either Fritz or Chessmasster
and then play around a bit to set up the best scene for the screenshot.
Thanks again.

ASP