looking for 3D chess

Hi guys,

This may be somewhat an unusual request but if anybody cares to help me
I would really apreciate it. I'm looking for a computer chess program,
not for the sake of playing it (although, sometimes I *do* play chess,
you know :)), but for an art project. What I want to do is to make some
screenshots of the chess board (with pieces on it, of course) and use it
as a main motive in an art picture. To achieve that, I came to the
conclusion that I need a game that fullfills certain criteria, which are:

First, mandatory criteria:
- a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
- ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot,
I already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is
very important

Non-mandatory criteria:
- it would be helpful if a game has a few 'skins', with different boards
and/or pieces available.. so that I could try different feels of it
- it would also be nice if the game is available in some sort of
trial/demo mode, as I really can't afford to buy the game just in order
to make a few screenshots

As there are hundreds of chess programs out there and I cant download
and try out all of them (well, so far I have tried maybe a dozen..), I
would really appreciate it if somebody could recommend me a computer
game that meets at least the upper two criteria. Thanks!!

ASP
5 answers Last reply
More about looking chess
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    > First, mandatory criteria:
    > - a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
    > the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
    > - ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot, I
    > already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is very
    > important

    Fritz 8 does that; though I'm not sure if you'd be satisfied with the
    rendering. Looks pretty good to me, but then I'm not an artist.

    > Non-mandatory criteria:
    > - it would be helpful if a game has a few 'skins', with different boards
    > and/or pieces available.. so that I could try different feels of it

    They do have that, but I don't think there are a lot of choices.

    > - it would also be nice if the game is available in some sort of
    > trial/demo mode, as I really can't afford to buy the game just in order to
    > make a few screenshots

    I don't think they do that, but you could look for a cheap version on eBay.
    Since Fritz 9 is out, Fritz8 should be cheap. In fact, I think you can get
    it directly from Chessbase for $25 or less. Look around the various dealers,
    you might be able to find it new for $25 or less. Some may have free
    shipping.

    A question: What are the copyright considerations for something like this?
    I've thought about decorating a web page with a screenshot of a Fritz 3D
    board and wondered if that violated copyright. I mean if anyone ever
    complained, I could ditch the decoration and I doubt anyone would want to
    pursue legal action after that.
    But you're talking about an art project, which, if you're lucky, could be in
    a museum or gallery for decades. What if Chessbase said, you can't use that
    image, your artwork would be toast, so to speak.

    I realize this is unlikely to happen in the real world, but I am curious
    about the issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this slightly off-topic
    question?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Take a look at a lot of screenshots of the Chessmaster series (both
    CM9000 and CM 10th Edition). Tell me if you like any of the chess sets.

    Then give me an idea of the position you want to set up and the camera
    angle you want to use, and I'll try to make you a screenshot. Go ahead
    and reply via personal e-mail when you're ready.

    jm
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    There's a free trial version of Chessmaster 10th Edition that you
    should look at before you decide to purchase either version. You might
    be able to get what you need without buying anything!

    jm
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    D Persica wrote:
    >>First, mandatory criteria:
    >>- a true 3D chess program, which enables the user to move, tilt and pan
    >>the chessboard.. in other words, the ability to select any point of view
    >>- ability to set up the initial position.. since I'm doing a screenshot, I
    >>already have an idea of what a position should look like, and that is very
    >>important
    >

    > Fritz 8 does that; though I'm not sure if you'd be satisfied with the
    > rendering. Looks pretty good to me, but then I'm not an artist.

    I've looked at some screenshots, and yes, there are sets that look very
    appealing, especially the ones that are kind of shiny (marble,
    aluminium,..). I think I may very well go with that. Thanks for the
    suggestion!

    > A question: What are the copyright considerations for something like this?
    > I've thought about decorating a web page with a screenshot of a Fritz 3D
    > board and wondered if that violated copyright. I mean if anyone ever
    > complained, I could ditch the decoration and I doubt anyone would want to
    > pursue legal action after that.
    > But you're talking about an art project, which, if you're lucky, could be in
    > a museum or gallery for decades. What if Chessbase said, you can't use that
    > image, your artwork would be toast, so to speak.

    I'm not a professional artist, so I really don't expect to see my work
    hang in a gallery or something. In best case, if I'm happy with the
    result, I'll print a poster and hang it on a wall at home. :)

    Now, if we take the hypothetical case of using a piece of intellectual
    property and use it in another product... I'm not a lawyer (and not even
    an American), but I think there is a U.S. law that allows some kind of
    exception to the rule which protects intellectual property, called "fair
    use". If I recall correctly, you can use a piece of IP for some things,
    like parody, art, and stuff like that, even if it's protected. So, maybe
    that's our escape hatch. :)

    ASP
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    JVMerlino@aol.com wrote:

    > Take a look at a lot of screenshots of the Chessmaster series (both
    > CM9000 and CM 10th Edition). Tell me if you like any of the chess sets.

    I've checked it out and yes, it has some nice sets.

    > Then give me an idea of the position you want to set up and the camera
    > angle you want to use, and I'll try to make you a screenshot. Go ahead
    > and reply via personal e-mail when you're ready.

    First, let me thank you for your kind offer. As I excpect to do a lot of
    fine tuning (regarding the point of view), I think the proposed solution
    would be kind of impractical. I will aquire either Fritz or Chessmasster
    and then play around a bit to set up the best scene for the screenshot.
    Thanks again.

    ASP

PC gaming Computers Video Games