D.I box question...

Last response: in Home Audio
September 22, 2005 3:42:18 PM

I need some (2 or 4) D.I. box in 1 rack space.
Must have inputs on the front and XLR outputs on the back of the rack...
Some suggestion on brands and models?

In your opinion: is buying a "cheap" rack D.I. (
http://www.behringer.com/DI800/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) and replacing the
transformers a good idea?
F.

More about : box question

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 3:42:19 PM

Federico wrote:

> In your opinion: is buying a "cheap" rack D.I. (
> http://www.behringer.com/DI800/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) and replacing the
> transformers a good idea?

If you can find better transformers that fit, it's probably cheaper to
do that than to have a custom chassis made. But if you're handy with
metalworking and have the tools, (and I'll concede that this isn't
usually too common among musicians or recording engineers) you can
build a completely custom unit and not have to have the "Behringer"
name on the panel. (or you could put a piece of gaffer tape over it.
<g>)
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 4:10:23 PM

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/dirbox.html

"Federico" <plokmichael@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> I need some (2 or 4) D.I. box in 1 rack space.
> Must have inputs on the front and XLR outputs on the back of the rack...
> Some suggestion on brands and models?
>
> In your opinion: is buying a "cheap" rack D.I. (
> http://www.behringer.com/DI800/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) and replacing the
> transformers a good idea?
> F.

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:36:29 PM

Federico wrote:

> I need some (2 or 4) D.I. box in 1 rack space.
> Must have inputs on the front and XLR outputs on the back of the rack...
> Some suggestion on brands and models?
>
> In your opinion: is buying a "cheap" rack D.I. (
> http://www.behringer.com/DI800/index.cfm?lang=ENG ) and replacing the
> transformers a good idea?

The DI800 uses transformers, other than the power supply? It
certainly may, but there is nothing in the literature or
product description that mentions them. One can't believe
that for one bone you get eight transformers of a quality
sufficient for anything but telephone response. Not that the
Behringer DI800 isn't a worthy piece of equipment. I just
don't think you're going to find anything that is replacable
in the box that isn't going to be a cobbled up mess if you
fiddle with it.

If you're considering gutting such a piece of equipment,
just spend the nearly $.5K you'll spend on Jensens (somewhat
less for Sescom, etc.) and buy a product that's made for
your purposes. If you're intent on building something, try
OpAmp Labs (http://www.opamplabs.com). They still supply
plug-in transformers, and all the metal work so you can
build what you need. You could download Front Panel Design
software and design your own metal work, send it to them
with money, and they'll send you back a nicely CNC'd panel
to your specs.

I'd be glad to be corrected on the Behringer transformer
question. For the money, it's hard to beat.

TM
!