169.x.x.x release and renew

Last response: in Networking
Share
June 16, 2004 1:21:35 AM

My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
but I don't know how to fix it.

I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
I renew I get this default address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

More about : 169 release renew

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:30:44 AM

The base station gets the address? Perhaps one of your computers, but the
base station should be programmed according to your Internet Service
Provider's instructions, i.e., static or dynamic IP address, proper gateway
and the DNS numbers. Have you programmed the base station?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
> but I don't know how to fix it.
>
> I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
> I renew I get this default address.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:59:41 AM

The base station gets the address. I did program the base
station. I used a dynamic IP in the past, and didn't
experience any problems, but the base station refuses to
get a IP from the ISP.

June 16, 2004 4:26:30 AM

Hi,

Have you tried cloning the MAC addresses of the network card that was
previously associated with your cable modem?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
> but I don't know how to fix it.
>
> I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
> I renew I get this default address.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:26:31 AM

I tried that, but still get the same IP address.

I even switched back to using the modem, then reset it all
with the base station with the existing mac.

I keep on getting the same IP.

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:34:21 AM

Connect a PC directly to the modem and see if you still
get the 169 address. It could be that the modem or the
ISP are simply not assigning you an address (ie. problem
with the service). Make sure to turn the computer
firewall on before trying this.

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:41:26 AM

who is your ISP? did you power cycle your broadband modem? if the mac
address from the computer that was connected to the modem before you
setup the MS base station does not work, reconnected that computer and
insure you have connectivity. then clone it again.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:59:41 -0700,

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I've had these problems with the mn-700 and the usb2.0
adapter and xp pro w/sp1 and wpa patch installed.

RE the 169 address: It's the adapter (pc address). Confirm
your address with the msbn tool if it's working. Or use the
"ipconfig/all" switch at a DOS prompt.

The 169 addresses are issued because when your hosts boot
up they arp for a dhcp server. If no dhcp servers answer
up, the MS OS (XP, 2000 e.g.) auto-assign the private 169
addresses. You can't release an auto-IP address. Your pc
will continue to look for the original dhcp server it knew
about until it finds it. In the meantime, that 169 address
stays. (So why isn't the base station dhcp server
broadcasting? Don't know. I'll keep digging.)

I've tried using the alternate config tab with addresses on
my LAN when the mn-700 dhcp server doesn't answer up. I get
the static LAN address, subnet mask and gateway info, but
still no activity from my base station. My usual "fix" is
to reset my cablemodem, then reset the mn-700, then reboot
my pc to try to kickstart the base station dhcp broadcast.
It doesn't always work right away.

BTW...you can watch to see these dhcp broadcasts from the
base station when it's working. Open up a command prompt
and issue the "arp -a" command repeatedly. YOu should see
the gate .1 address, and the other dhcp addresses
previously assigned on your LAN (the ones with the
"dynamic" statement after the IP address). Then you can
watch the arp table fill with "invalid" IP addresses until
the entire scope of addresses configured in the mn-700 is
reached.

You'd think that coding the mac address and gateway IP
address into the mn-700 would provide the info necessary to
populate your pc arp table -- and give you connectivity to
the base station. But for those of you who lose
connectivity to base station (and then to Internet) take a
look at your arp table. Bet you won't find your 192.168.2.1
address or mac binding in there. And you won't be able to
Ping that address either. Even hard-coding it into the OS
doesn't always help. If your machine can't find the
gateway, and/or the gateway won't respond to its queries,
you're not getting on the Internet.

If you can Ping the gateway, but you have no Internet
connection, it's probably going to be a software conflict
or firewall issue. Or perhaps the ISP is having problems.
Or...geez. This stuff can drive you to work in the field!

Just my 2 cents... :-P

WH

!