169.x.x.x release and renew

My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
but I don't know how to fix it.

I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
I renew I get this default address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
7 answers Last reply
More about release renew

    The base station gets the address? Perhaps one of your computers, but the
    base station should be programmed according to your Internet Service
    Provider's instructions, i.e., static or dynamic IP address, proper gateway
    and the DNS numbers. Have you programmed the base station?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
    > but I don't know how to fix it.
    >
    > I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
    > I renew I get this default address.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you

    The base station gets the address. I did program the base
    station. I used a dynamic IP in the past, and didn't
    experience any problems, but the base station refuses to
    get a IP from the ISP.

    Hi,

    Have you tried cloning the MAC addresses of the network card that was
    previously associated with your cable modem?

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My MN-700 constantly gets this address. I understand why,
    > but I don't know how to fix it.
    >
    > I've disconnected and reset my modem and MN-700, but when
    > I renew I get this default address.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you

    I tried that, but still get the same IP address.

    I even switched back to using the modem, then reset it all
    with the base station with the existing mac.

    I keep on getting the same IP.

    Connect a PC directly to the modem and see if you still
    get the 169 address. It could be that the modem or the
    ISP are simply not assigning you an address (ie. problem
    with the service). Make sure to turn the computer
    firewall on before trying this.

    who is your ISP? did you power cycle your broadband modem? if the mac
    address from the computer that was connected to the modem before you
    setup the MS base station does not work, reconnected that computer and
    insure you have connectivity. then clone it again.

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:59:41 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I've had these problems with the mn-700 and the usb2.0
    adapter and xp pro w/sp1 and wpa patch installed.

    RE the 169 address: It's the adapter (pc address). Confirm
    your address with the msbn tool if it's working. Or use the
    "ipconfig/all" switch at a DOS prompt.

    The 169 addresses are issued because when your hosts boot
    up they arp for a dhcp server. If no dhcp servers answer
    up, the MS OS (XP, 2000 e.g.) auto-assign the private 169
    addresses. You can't release an auto-IP address. Your pc
    will continue to look for the original dhcp server it knew
    about until it finds it. In the meantime, that 169 address
    stays. (So why isn't the base station dhcp server
    broadcasting? Don't know. I'll keep digging.)

    I've tried using the alternate config tab with addresses on
    my LAN when the mn-700 dhcp server doesn't answer up. I get
    the static LAN address, subnet mask and gateway info, but
    still no activity from my base station. My usual "fix" is
    to reset my cablemodem, then reset the mn-700, then reboot
    my pc to try to kickstart the base station dhcp broadcast.
    It doesn't always work right away.

    BTW...you can watch to see these dhcp broadcasts from the
    base station when it's working. Open up a command prompt
    and issue the "arp -a" command repeatedly. YOu should see
    the gate .1 address, and the other dhcp addresses
    previously assigned on your LAN (the ones with the
    "dynamic" statement after the IP address). Then you can
    watch the arp table fill with "invalid" IP addresses until
    the entire scope of addresses configured in the mn-700 is
    reached.

    You'd think that coding the mac address and gateway IP
    address into the mn-700 would provide the info necessary to
    populate your pc arp table -- and give you connectivity to
    the base station. But for those of you who lose
    connectivity to base station (and then to Internet) take a
    look at your arp table. Bet you won't find your 192.168.2.1
    address or mac binding in there. And you won't be able to
    Ping that address either. Even hard-coding it into the OS
    doesn't always help. If your machine can't find the
    gateway, and/or the gateway won't respond to its queries,
    you're not getting on the Internet.

    If you can Ping the gateway, but you have no Internet
    connection, it's probably going to be a software conflict
    or firewall issue. Or perhaps the ISP is having problems.
    Or...geez. This stuff can drive you to work in the field!

    Just my 2 cents... :-P

    WH

Routers Networking