I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz 5.32
is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and switch
main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of RAM on my
computer.

Help?

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so CB
> would not crash.

512 MB of RAM is around $32.00 at Best Buy or any computer store. I
upgraded mine to 1024 MB for only $120.00 including labor.

Angelo DePalma <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab
> and switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2
> MB of RAM on my computer.

Um, sorry to be blunt but it tells you there's not enough memory because
there's not enough memory.

I assume that's a pretty old machine but, if you know what kind of RAM it
takes, you should be able to buy some more (at least 32Mb) on Ebay for
next to nothing. If you don't know what kind of RAM it takes, post some
details here and somebody will be able to work it.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Slimy Mexi-Laser (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ intense beam of light that comes from

As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so CB
would not crash.

The machine is vintage 2002, so that's not the problem either.

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so CB
> would not crash.

Aha. I think you actually have TWO GIGABYTES of RAM. Apart from that
observation, I have nothing useful to contribute.
--
Steve Loft

In article <F5-dndKaz5At6oneUSdV9g@ptd.net>,
angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com says...
> As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so CB
> would not crash.
>
> The machine is vintage 2002, so that's not the problem either.

Return shredder to your vendor, and explain that your are too dim to use
it.

--

Regards, Thx4Laugh.

"Thx4Laugh" <abc@compuserve.net> wrote in message
> In article <F5-dndKaz5At6oneUSdV9g@ptd.net>,
> angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com says...
>> As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so
>> CB
>> would not crash.
>>
>> The machine is vintage 2002, so that's not the problem either.
>>

> Return shredder to your vendor, and explain that your are too dim to use
> it.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Thx4Laugh.

I had a vintage 1995 with more RAM than that... :)
--
muppet0830

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz 5.32
> is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and switch
> main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of RAM on my
> computer.
>
> Help?

Get the update from the ChessBase site.

--
GCP

"Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and
> switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of
> RAM on my computer.
>
> Help?

Now that we've clarified that you have 2 GB RAM (not 2 MB)... :eek:)

Solving such a problem requires a logical stepwise approach where you write
down a list of possibilities then test them (rule them out) one at a time.
For someone else to diagnose the cause of your problem requires much more
info such as details about your op system, software and hardware, and the
various system and software program settings you're using. It's not
necessarily easy but sometimes you get lucky. Eventually if all of the
software and op system possibilities are ruled out, then you should begin to
suspect a hardware problem. For example hard drives go belly up fairly
often, in my experience, so you might run a diagnostic on yours. But first a
few quick simple stupid things to do...

Turn off tablebase access until this problem is solved.

Can you switch to other engines besides Fritz 5.32? Forget about Shredder,
for now. Can you switch to any other engine? Or is it permanently stuck on
Fritz 5.32?

How much RAM do you have allocated to hash tables? Reduce that to 4 MB or
some such small number to rule out it as a cause.

Which Chessbase GUI are you using? The one that came with Shredder 9, or a
different one? Regardless, at this point, you should probably uninstall then
reinstall it to rule out a corrupted installation.

You're probably running Windows XP and may have System Restore actively
monitoring your computer so you can recover after a crash. That can cause
problems. The test is to turn off System Restore for awhile and see if that
makes any difference.

Virtual memory can be a problem if you're using special settings. If you let
windows handle it (the default), that shouldn't be the cause. There are
better settings than the windows defaults but that's irrelevant here.

Nuf for starters...
--
muppet0830

"Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and
> switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of
> RAM on my computer.

You simply must mean 2 Gigabytes of RAM, not 2 megabytes! What operating
system do you use? Is it a Palm computer? Even Palms have more than 2 MBs.

> Help?

I meant 2 GIGAbytes.

"Thx4Laugh" <abc@compuserve.net> wrote in message
> In article <F5-dndKaz5At6oneUSdV9g@ptd.net>,
> angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com says...
>> As I wrote I have TWO MEGABYTES of RAM, which I purchased specifically so
>> CB
>> would not crash.
>>
>> The machine is vintage 2002, so that's not the problem either.
>>

> Return shredder to your vendor, and explain that your are too dim to use
> it.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Thx4Laugh.

I don't see how the update will help, except perhaps to reset something.

It would be nice if CB people would visit this newsgroup occasionally, like
other vendors do. Their customer service and technical support are
nonexistent.

"Gian-Carlo Pascutto" <natrese@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
>> 5.32
>> is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and
>> switch
>> main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of RAM on
>> my
>> computer.
>>
>> Help?
>
> Get the update from the ChessBase site.
>
> --
> GCP

THanks, I'll look into these possible solutions.

"muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message news:43150a04_3@x-privat.org...
> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
>> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab
>> and switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2
>> MB of RAM on my computer.
>>
>> Help?
>>

> Now that we've clarified that you have 2 GB RAM (not 2 MB)... :eek:)
>
> Solving such a problem requires a logical stepwise approach where you
> write down a list of possibilities then test them (rule them out) one at a
> time. For someone else to diagnose the cause of your problem requires much
> more info such as details about your op system, software and hardware, and
> the various system and software program settings you're using. It's not
> necessarily easy but sometimes you get lucky. Eventually if all of the
> software and op system possibilities are ruled out, then you should begin
> to suspect a hardware problem. For example hard drives go belly up fairly
> often, in my experience, so you might run a diagnostic on yours. But first
> a few quick simple stupid things to do...
>
> Turn off tablebase access until this problem is solved.
>
> Can you switch to other engines besides Fritz 5.32? Forget about Shredder,
> for now. Can you switch to any other engine? Or is it permanently stuck on
> Fritz 5.32?
>
> How much RAM do you have allocated to hash tables? Reduce that to 4 MB or
> some such small number to rule out it as a cause.
>
> Which Chessbase GUI are you using? The one that came with Shredder 9, or a
> different one? Regardless, at this point, you should probably uninstall
> then reinstall it to rule out a corrupted installation.
>
> You're probably running Windows XP and may have System Restore actively
> monitoring your computer so you can recover after a crash. That can cause
> problems. The test is to turn off System Restore for awhile and see if
> that makes any difference.
>
> Virtual memory can be a problem if you're using special settings. If you
> let windows handle it (the default), that shouldn't be the cause. There
> are better settings than the windows defaults but that's irrelevant here.
>
> Nuf for starters...
> --
> muppet0830

I'm sure the hash table size is set too large...

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:35:41 -0400, "Angelo DePalma"
<angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>THanks, I'll look into these possible solutions.
>
>"muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message news:43150a04_3@x-privat.org...
>> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
>>> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab
>>> and switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2
>>> MB of RAM on my computer.
>>>
>>> Help?
>>>

>> Now that we've clarified that you have 2 GB RAM (not 2 MB)... :eek:)
>>
>> Solving such a problem requires a logical stepwise approach where you
>> write down a list of possibilities then test them (rule them out) one at a
>> time. For someone else to diagnose the cause of your problem requires much
>> more info such as details about your op system, software and hardware, and
>> the various system and software program settings you're using. It's not
>> necessarily easy but sometimes you get lucky. Eventually if all of the
>> software and op system possibilities are ruled out, then you should begin
>> to suspect a hardware problem. For example hard drives go belly up fairly
>> often, in my experience, so you might run a diagnostic on yours. But first
>> a few quick simple stupid things to do...
>>
>> Turn off tablebase access until this problem is solved.
>>
>> Can you switch to other engines besides Fritz 5.32? Forget about Shredder,
>> for now. Can you switch to any other engine? Or is it permanently stuck on
>> Fritz 5.32?
>>
>> How much RAM do you have allocated to hash tables? Reduce that to 4 MB or
>> some such small number to rule out it as a cause.
>>
>> Which Chessbase GUI are you using? The one that came with Shredder 9, or a
>> different one? Regardless, at this point, you should probably uninstall
>> then reinstall it to rule out a corrupted installation.
>>
>> You're probably running Windows XP and may have System Restore actively
>> monitoring your computer so you can recover after a crash. That can cause
>> problems. The test is to turn off System Restore for awhile and see if
>> that makes any difference.
>>
>> Virtual memory can be a problem if you're using special settings. If you
>> let windows handle it (the default), that shouldn't be the cause. There
>> are better settings than the windows defaults but that's irrelevant here.
>>
>> Nuf for starters...
>> --
>> muppet0830

Chet Marino
Westminster, CO

No, I disabled it and still wasn't able to switch.

Angelo

"Chet Marino" <cjmarino3@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm sure the hash table size is set too large...
>

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:35:41 -0400, "Angelo DePalma"
> <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>THanks, I'll look into these possible solutions.
>>
>>"muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message
>>> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Now that we've clarified that you have 2 GB RAM (not 2 MB)... :eek:)
>>>
>>> Solving such a problem requires a logical stepwise approach where you
>>> write down a list of possibilities then test them (rule them out) one at
>>> time. For someone else to diagnose the cause of your problem requires
>>> much
>>> more info such as details about your op system, software and hardware,
>>> and
>>> the various system and software program settings you're using. It's not
>>> necessarily easy but sometimes you get lucky. Eventually if all of the
>>> software and op system possibilities are ruled out, then you should
>>> begin
>>> to suspect a hardware problem. For example hard drives go belly up
>>> fairly
>>> often, in my experience, so you might run a diagnostic on yours. But
>>> first
>>> a few quick simple stupid things to do...
>>>
>>> Turn off tablebase access until this problem is solved.
>>>
>>> Can you switch to other engines besides Fritz 5.32? Forget about
>>> Shredder,
>>> for now. Can you switch to any other engine? Or is it permanently stuck
>>> on
>>> Fritz 5.32?
>>>
>>> How much RAM do you have allocated to hash tables? Reduce that to 4 MB
>>> or
>>> some such small number to rule out it as a cause.
>>>
>>> Which Chessbase GUI are you using? The one that came with Shredder 9, or
>>> different one? Regardless, at this point, you should probably uninstall
>>> then reinstall it to rule out a corrupted installation.
>>>
>>> You're probably running Windows XP and may have System Restore actively
>>> monitoring your computer so you can recover after a crash. That can
>>> cause
>>> problems. The test is to turn off System Restore for awhile and see if
>>> that makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Virtual memory can be a problem if you're using special settings. If you
>>> let windows handle it (the default), that shouldn't be the cause. There
>>> are better settings than the windows defaults but that's irrelevant
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Nuf for starters...
>>> --
>>> muppet0830
>>>

> Chet Marino
> Westminster, CO

I can now alternately get the program to load Fritz 5.32 or Shredder as the
playing engine, but the program freezes when I try to load one of my other
engines as the playing engine. However, I cannot switch the
analysis/evaluation engine. It is locked on Fritz 5.32. If I try switching
it it either tells me there is not enough memory, or it freezes.

Also, when you play a game against the computer why does it ALWAYS prompt
for a result? Why can't that prompt be optional? I have no interest
whatsoever in recording my games against a 2600+ computer.

Is it possible to turn off that feature?

> THanks, I'll look into these possible solutions.
>
> "muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message
>> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
>>> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab
>>> and switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2
>>> MB of RAM on my computer.
>>>
>>> Help?
>>>

>> Now that we've clarified that you have 2 GB RAM (not 2 MB)... :eek:)
>>
>> Solving such a problem requires a logical stepwise approach where you
>> write down a list of possibilities then test them (rule them out) one at
>> a time. For someone else to diagnose the cause of your problem requires
>> much more info such as details about your op system, software and
>> hardware, and the various system and software program settings you're
>> using. It's not necessarily easy but sometimes you get lucky. Eventually
>> if all of the software and op system possibilities are ruled out, then
>> you should begin to suspect a hardware problem. For example hard drives
>> go belly up fairly often, in my experience, so you might run a diagnostic
>> on yours. But first a few quick simple stupid things to do...
>>
>> Turn off tablebase access until this problem is solved.
>>
>> Can you switch to other engines besides Fritz 5.32? Forget about
>> Shredder, for now. Can you switch to any other engine? Or is it
>> permanently stuck on Fritz 5.32?
>>
>> How much RAM do you have allocated to hash tables? Reduce that to 4 MB or
>> some such small number to rule out it as a cause.
>>
>> Which Chessbase GUI are you using? The one that came with Shredder 9, or
>> a different one? Regardless, at this point, you should probably uninstall
>> then reinstall it to rule out a corrupted installation.
>>
>> You're probably running Windows XP and may have System Restore actively
>> monitoring your computer so you can recover after a crash. That can cause
>> problems. The test is to turn off System Restore for awhile and see if
>> that makes any difference.
>>
>> Virtual memory can be a problem if you're using special settings. If you
>> let windows handle it (the default), that shouldn't be the cause. There
>> are better settings than the windows defaults but that's irrelevant here.
>>
>> Nuf for starters...
>> --
>> muppet0830

You haven't yet said which version of the Chessbase GUI you are using. Some
earlier versions couldn't handle more than 512 MB RAM, if I recall
correctly.
--
muppet0830

Chet Marino wrote:
> I'm sure the hash table size is set too large...

HT-size _shouldn't_ cause that kind of problem, only diskswapping if set
to large.

HD wrote:
> Chet Marino wrote:
>
>> I'm sure the hash table size is set too large...
>>

> HT-size _shouldn't_ cause that kind of problem, only diskswapping if set
> to large.

Or rather, the GUI adjusts it to the avaible amount of memory.
Newer GUI-versions I guess.

Angelo DePalma wrote:
> I don't see how the update will help, except perhaps to reset something.

Because the update fixes this particular problem, perhaps??

--
GCP

Va bene, lo travero.

> Angelo DePalma wrote:
>> I don't see how the update will help, except perhaps to reset something.
>
> Because the update fixes this particular problem, perhaps??
>
> --
> GCP

I now get an insufficient memory message when I start up the program!

I am reluctant to re-install it because I mistakenly threw away the jewel
case when I re-organized my software last year. I therefore no longer have
the registration #. It's ironic that I have never copied commercial software
and now I'm stuck. I will have to beg CB for another # as I had to do with
the Chessbase program.

I'll try the update.

Angelo

"muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message news:4315a901_3@x-privat.org...
> You haven't yet said which version of the Chessbase GUI you are using.
> Some earlier versions couldn't handle more than 512 MB RAM, if I recall
> correctly.
> --
> muppet0830
>
> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I can now alternately get the program to load Fritz 5.32 or Shredder as
>> the playing engine, but the program freezes when I try to load one of my
>> other engines as the playing engine. However, I cannot switch the
>> analysis/evaluation engine. It is locked on Fritz 5.32. If I try
>> switching it it either tells me there is not enough memory, or it
>> freezes.
>>
>> Also, when you play a game against the computer why does it ALWAYS prompt
>> for a result? Why can't that prompt be optional? I have no interest
>> whatsoever in recording my games against a 2600+ computer.
>>
>> Is it possible to turn off that feature?
>>

>> "Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> THanks, I'll look into these possible solutions.
>>>
>>> "muppet0830" <mup@pet.0830> wrote in message

Neither "repair" nor re-installation helped the situation.

Following is the email I sent to CB support:

I have two problems, both very serious.

Whenever Shredder loads I receive the message: "Engine: Not enough memory"
even though I have 2 GB of memory on my (vintage 2003) computer. I tried
repairing the installation, and even re-installing Shredder 7, but I still
receive the message.

Interestingly the program functions reasonably on startup. However, I am
unable to switch either the playing engine or the analysis/kibitzing engine.
If I try to do so I receive either the "not enough memory" message or the
program freezes.

A related problem is that I have misplaced the jewel case which presumably
contains the serial number. I am afraid that when I re-install it will ask
me for a registration number. Can you please provide me with one? I have
been a loyal CB customer for many years and have purchased every version of
Fritz/Shredder since Fritz 5 and the last three versions of ChessBase.

Thanks for your assistance,

Angelo DePalma

****

I will keep you all apprised of CB's reaction. I predict they will not solve
the problem. That has been my experience with other issues.

"Angelo DePalma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason Fritz
> 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine management tab and
> switch main engine, it tells me there's not enough memory. I have 2 MB of
> RAM on my computer.
>
> Help?

Hi,

Chessbase programs sometimes behave very strange and do really weird
things. Uninstalling and reinstalling helped me out a couple of times
when everything else failed. Maybe it fixes your problem too.

Mike

> I am unable to switch my main engine in Shredder. For some reason
> Fritz 5.32 is now the default engine. When I go to the engine
> management tab and switch main engine, it tells me there's not
> enough memory. I have 2 MB of RAM on my computer.
>
> Help?

Shredder 7?
Has it been running flawlessly on that specific comp before?
Some people have been talking about troubles with S7 and more than
512Mb/1G. Haven't experienced any myself though.
BTW, you don't need the reg-key for installation, only registration.

HD