Sign in with
Your question

Trouble diagnosing Blue Screen

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2012 5:25:33 PM

Hi all,

I am having a hell of a time diagnosing recent Blue screen's and computer freezing problems. I have clean installed from boot a new version of windows 7. It has helped the problem as the blue screen are less frequent but they are still happening.

Blue screens are mostly random, but I have been having "Display driver has stopped responding and recovered" and almost always get a blue screen when trying to shut down.

I have gone into device manager and disabled my 580gtx driver and seems to have helped as it no longer blue screens on shut down. I have tried a few different drivers from Nivida and they all seem to cause blue screens. But I also put in my old 9800gtx+ and it still blue screen. But that was before I clean installed my new windows.

I know I need to upload the mini-dump files for you guys but I am not entirely sure how to do that?

system specs:

i5 2500k

Evga superclocked 580gtx

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

This computer has run flawlessly for me for about 9 months.

Thanks for any help.
July 29, 2012 5:48:49 PM

Try memtest86. there is a free download on their website. some drivers sit in the same memory all the time and if the ram is dodgy then it may start to missbehave more and more.

eliminate your ram 1st before trying anything else.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 11:59:16 AM

Hard to diagnose without the BSOD STOP code/error message.

That being said, the "Display driver has stopped working" message leads me to suspect either RAM or the GPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 12:10:09 PM

If you could provide the information from the crash dump windows would have created that would be the best place to start.
m
l
!