Gigging with a LAPTOP!

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 10:56:56 AM

Good Day to Y'all!

We're a live 2 piece Rock and Soul act performing cover tunes.
We just replaced our 2 minidisc machine setup with a laptop. Just
completed all the transfers from Minidisc to .WAV files in the Mac
iBook.

What's the best software (so far I've got Toast/Jam) to play these
files live without a glitch?

When one song's playing, I'll need to have the next song cued up, ready
to go at the push of a spacebar.

Any suggestions from those in the trenches?

Thanks for any help!

More about : gigging laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 2:18:27 PM

Fingerz88 wrote:

> We're a live 2 piece Rock and Soul act performing cover tunes.
> We just replaced our 2 minidisc machine setup with a laptop. Just
> completed all the transfers from Minidisc to .WAV files in the Mac
> iBook.
>
> What's the best software (so far I've got Toast/Jam) to play these
> files live without a glitch?

Your Minidisk player, or a CD player. My laptop computer just started
crashing this morning and I haven't a clue as to what's wrong with it.
I'll probably never be able to fix it. Do you want that to happen
during your show?

Computers for live performance, particularly when you're a 2-piece band
with probably no tech support for your shows other than yourself, are
potential bad news. Music players that are dedicated to the job are
great.
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 5:22:19 PM

Chevdo wrote:
> In article <1127495907.227923.78630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> mrivers@d-and-d.com says...

> I've noticed that in the past year just about every band that performs on a
> late night talk show has a laptop on stage

Bands that appear on late night talk shows certainly have tech crews,
and probably a backup computer. Maybe they aren't even really using the
computer, or maybe it's their "sampler" played a keyboard.

It's not that it doesn't work, it's the risk that sometimes it won't.
If your entire show depends on it, I think that's kind of risky.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 5:26:37 PM

oleyar@gmail.com wrote:
> i've been playing jazzy/jam stuff in restaurants with a laptop for
> years. i've not had a single problem, not even a hiccup.

The world is full of success stories.

> then, as a backup, under the front seat of the car is a discman and a
> pile of CDs with the same tracks as the FW drive.......

That's your real backup. Good thinking. But don't leave it under the
car seat for too many years without checking to see that the CD player
and CDs still work.

Since radio stations that still have real live DJs have moved from
vinyl disks to CDs, I've heard more miscues, skips (that get ignored
for entirely too long) and blasts of noise than I can ever remember
when radio was real. But they don't seem to care about it, so why
should a stage performer? The audience is used to seeing hi-tech stuff
fail, and they might even have heard all the jokes yet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 5:37:44 PM

<spamiser@yahoo.com> wrote:
>http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte.html, makes your mac
>act like a cart machine.

Does it jam up all the time? Can you wiggle it back and forth to
make the high end go in and out?
--scott

a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 10:43:24 PM

In article <1127495907.227923.78630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
mrivers@d-and-d.com says...

>Fingerz88 wrote:
>
>> We're a live 2 piece Rock and Soul act performing cover tunes.
>> We just replaced our 2 minidisc machine setup with a laptop. Just
>> completed all the transfers from Minidisc to .WAV files in the Mac
>> iBook.
>>
>> What's the best software (so far I've got Toast/Jam) to play these
>> files live without a glitch?
>
>Your Minidisk player, or a CD player. My laptop computer just started
>crashing this morning and I haven't a clue as to what's wrong with it.
>I'll probably never be able to fix it. Do you want that to happen
>during your show?
>
>Computers for live performance, particularly when you're a 2-piece band
>with probably no tech support for your shows other than yourself, are
>potential bad news. Music players that are dedicated to the job are
>great.

I've noticed that in the past year just about every band that performs on a
late night talk show has a laptop on stage
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2005 9:38:16 AM

Matt wrote:
> Depending on the market, most "good" radio stations these days have
> moved away from CD's to a computer based digital playback system

That's why I qualified my response. If the original poster would
consider a broadcast digital playback system that's designed for near
100% reliability, then I'd say go for it. But I doubt he's prepared for
this.

> It is damn near inexcusable
> to have miscues on a major radio station these days, if the place is
> even run halfway correctly.

I don't find much of what I want to listen to on radio stations that
are "run half correctly," so I guess I'll have to put up with the
occasional miscue if I want to hear music selected by someone with a
personality and tastes that are similar to my own.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2005 12:19:12 PM

Thanks for the responses folks.

I'll investigate the options!

Rock On!

Cheers
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2005 7:57:43 PM

"Fingerz88" <fingerz88d@aol.com> wrote in message
> Good Day to Y'all!
>
> We're a live 2 piece Rock and Soul act performing cover tunes.
> We just replaced our 2 minidisc machine setup with a laptop. Just
> completed all the transfers from Minidisc to .WAV files in the Mac
> iBook.
>
> What's the best software (so far I've got Toast/Jam) to play these
> files live without a glitch?
>
> When one song's playing, I'll need to have the next song cued up, ready
> to go at the push of a spacebar.
>
> Any suggestions from those in the trenches?

traktor.

!