Right-click menu keeps popping up on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,
The right-click menu on my laptop started popping without me clicking anything a couple days ago. It sporadically does this. Sometimes a bunch in a row and then not at all. I've scanned my computer to check for a virus but nothing showed up. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Sounds like to me that your laptop's right click button is stuck. If you hold that button down and let it go, does this problem appear ? Try it a few times.

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for your response! Actually, though normally I use a mouse I tried clicking the right-click button on my laptop and the right-click menu doesn't show up yet the menu will occasionally show up without me pressing any buttons. Any suggestions of what I could do to try to determine the problem and remedy it? Seems like the problem has something to do with the right-click button on my laptop and not the mouse.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you don't use the laptop clickers, you can usually disable them, either in Windows, or in the BIOS. In windows, go to device manager, find the trackpad (or whatever clicker you use) on the laptop, and right click then disable (not uninstall). In BIOS (and this is the more reliable method), find the settings that disables the trackpad, and disable it. OR, your laptop may have a special Fn+key combination key to turn off the onboard track pad. Try these methods.

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks! I might try those suggestions. I would like to still be able to use the laptop clickers. I might see if button needs replacing. The left clicker is working but the right one doesn't respond at all when I click it yet it may be malfunctioning because, as I said, the right-click menu just pops up randomly without me clicking anything.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That sounds like your problem, a stuck clicker... This happens often though.

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I had a computer repair shop fix it I thought, but the clicker has gotten stuck a few times since then. Nothing like it was getting stuck before to the point where I couldn't use my laptop.

But I was going to try and reinstall the touch pad driver but can't figure out what driver that is on the installation cd. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Check in the BIOS, or the software of your brand (is it an HP?). In dual-pointing device laptops like IBM/Lenovos, there is a setting in BIOS that is also accessible to disable one of the two pointing devices. Probably F10 (or similar) at boot up (POST) to get into BIOS, then look around for some thing related to devices.

Also, your trackpad is likely made by Synaptics, so check for the software related to Synaptics if you want to tinker with software or drivers.

Do you have the following options in your computer like below ?

081909_1205_howtodisabl1.png

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I see the mouse and options to disable the mouse, but can't find the options to disable the touchpad or clickers. Do you happen to have a screenshot of how to disable the touchpad? I really appreciate all your help!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Try the Dell BIOS first. As soon as you start the computer, and see the Dell logo, press F2 (do it a few times) and wait a second. The computer will be entering into the BIOS menus. While you are inside, use the arrow keys (usually) to navigate the menus and sub menus. Look for the option to disable trackpad. That is probably the most reliable way to do this.

If you want to do it through control panel in windows, you'll have to install the proper drivers first through Dell.com. Download the drivers for your specific model on the touchpad/pointing device, install it, reboot, come back into windows and you should be able to disable the trackpad using the control panel -> mouse menu. It sounds like you don't have the trackpad drivers installed and are using windows generic HID drivers.

3200guy

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

One more question. I'm not anxious to disable the clicker that has gotten stuck because it's not stuck right now, but if I choose the disable trackpad option through Dell BIOS, do you know if there's an option to just disable the clickers that have gotten stuck and not the touchpad itself or the clickers that aren't causing problems? I can always try to do it and see, just didn't know if you might know the answer off the top of your head. Thanks so much for your help!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Usually there isn't such an option. You can try to see what is there in the mouse settings in windows and see if you can reassign some buttons. Beyond that, if you disable the trackpad, the buttons are disabled too.

Download the synaptics touchpad software from Dell, and install the proper driver and programs for your touchpad. There is USUALLY a much higher degree of customization when you use synaptics provided driver with their softwares.

arunvijayankartha

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

Hi All,

I am using a desktop and still facing the same issue.

The mouse pointer seems to be randomly clicking right clicks and there seems to be no end to the issue.

Kindly advise.

Many thanks,

Arun

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Hey Arun,

You should start your own thread on this, if you only have 1 pointing device installed on your desktop, then your mouse's momentary contact switch is worn out, you can either try to repair it, or use a new mouse.

Devendra Baghel

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
IT IS THE KEY BOARD ISSUE

OH MY GOD. you are a lifesaver! I am typing this from the keyboard on my macbook pro, which i have remapped and it works like it did when i first bought it. :') I'm so happy and I want others with similar problems to know this works! For anyone wondering, you download the application, then go into key remapper preferences > general > "don't remap external keyboards", then you simply change keyboard layout to something else, then uncheck that box again to switch back to a QWERTY layout, and VOILA. Once again machead3, I cannot thank you enough. :)

adam christopher, August 12, 2012

i am so much thankful to you for this comment, i did not do a remapping but it brought to my attention that key board has gone crazy not the mouse so I removed the battery of the keyboard and blew air to clean it up and replugged the battery......it worked fine no mouse right clicking issue. thanku very much

Devendra Baghel

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
IT could be a keyboard issue, like i faced

right click was appearing while typing "a" "s" "y" and then on subsequent left click...

I was suggested keyboard remapping....but

i did not do a remapping but it brought to my attention that key board has gone crazy not the mouse so I removed the battery of the keyboard and blew air to clean it up and replugged the battery......it worked fine no mouse right clicking issue

Steve_ICTGUY

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

I found a solution, I thought it was the mouse but no, I unplugged it and still had menus popping up, and dragging, then I realized it was the same as holding left button on touch-pad. I gave it a clean as it WAS sticking down. My problem solved, plugged mouse back in all OK now. I was going to disable touch-pad but no need now.

Steve_ICTGUY

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
I found a solution, I thought it was the mouse but no, I unplugged it and still had menus popping up, and dragging, then I realized it was the same as holding left button on touch-pad. I gave it a clean as it WAS sticking down. My problem solved, plugged mouse back in all OK now. I was going to disable touch-pad but no need now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS