Solid State HDDs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Last I checked those devices used a PCI slot, which is REALLY only 133MB/s. Of course there's PCI-X with up to 4x that speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
IT USES PCI!?!?!?! HOLY SH!T. talk about a major slow down. anyway, wouldn't it also have to share the channel with the other devices? as for the PCI-X versions, they 'only' run at 533MB/s? how would that company beable to test the HD at 8GB/s then? (unless its 8Gb/s, not GB/s)

RDRAM = ENEMY

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fastest PCI-X slots should still only be 4 gigabit! Unless their giving you just the INTERNAL rates, exclusive of the interface.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
i hate companies that lie and give higher numbers that mean nothing but are true...regardless though, it would still be nice to have one of those

RDRAM = ENEMY

G

One would have to assume with high end devices like that the interface choices wouldn't be limited to a PC's measly PCI bus, ie they are probably able to interface with a number of busses. There are high end busses which have greater bandwidths than PCI. Since PC's are still a "low cost" solution for most, the fact that a PC can't push the performance on a device like that isn't to meaningful. People who need the performance a solid state drive can give are very very likely not looking at using it in a standard desktop PC configuration.

I've only met one person who claims to have hooked one of these up to his desktop/workstation PC, and I didn't have the chance to verify it personally, so I'm thinking it is pretty rare to see these in/on a consumer electronics level.