EXPERT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Last response: in Video Games
November 30, 2004 3:15:45 AM

Hello, a few days ago i post message about netscape 7.2. I read the reply
and many thanks, however recently i would say the last two weeks i
repeatedly get disconnected from the zone server while i am playing
competitive backgammon matches using internet explorer. However let me
emphasize that i dont get dropped from my isp. My connection with isp and
internet remains active eventhough i get booted from zone server. I have
repeatedly checked my modem settings and internet options and they seem fine
and to prove it i usually continue surfing the web after i get booted from
zone server. Furthermore, before i play on the zone, i always disable my
antivirus auto-protect until system restart before i get connected with my
isp and open any explorer browser windows. Two weeks ago i also downloaded
netscape 7.2 but it is not my default browser(explorer is) and i also
downloaded metacrawler toolbar, and java runtime 2 enviroment software. I
am not running these applications when i play backgammon on zone, because i
know that i wont have enough bandwith to support all of these applications
with an isdn 128kbps dial up connection all running at the same time.
Furthermore, my connection is BOD(bandwith on demand) which means that only
one b channel is up unless extra bandwith is needed for at least 20 seconds
and then second b channel is added. I am not sure all of this information
is relevant to my problem but i am giving u this info in hope i can help u
help me solve my problem. I have run repeated virus scans and spyware scans
to see if some of my bandwith is being used up by unsolicited applications
while i play, and usually no threats are being detected. Antivirus
liveupdate is turned off and automatic windows update is also turned off in
hope i can conserve bandwith. Also i regularly delete cookies, temporary
internet files, and browser history before i connect to isp and zone. I even
uninstalled zone files using add\remove in control panel and then
reinstalled them during my visit back to the zone thinking some of them
might of been corrupted by virus or what not, and even that did not solve
anything. IN SHORT I HAVE TRIED JUST ABOUT ANYTHING U CAN IMAGINE INORDER
TO BE ABLE TO PLAY ON ZONE AND NOT GET CONSTANTLY DISCONNECTED. Besides
being extremely frustrating for me having to boot over and over again, my
incompletes add up and people think i disconnect on purpose so as not to
lower my rating. PLEASE HELP LOL . Let me finally say my operating system
is windows xp home edition sp1. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 3:15:46 AM

Yasoo Nickos!

I suspect your ISP is not providing a sufficient connection using
the BOD system in order for you to avoid timing out from games.

The games require a constant, consistent, persistent connection.
Ask your ISP if they can open the full bandwidth for 1 session to
test my theory and save yourself a lot of grief.

If you want to test your connection yourself, I made a troubleshooter:

I don't want to overwhelm you with information, nor do I want to make you
wait for more suggestions if my first instincts are incorrect. For this reason,
here's a fairly complete checklist of solutions, which should solve the problem.

Remember, if there is a step that you feel unsure about, we are here to help
you. Just post your questions and we'll do our very best to help you further.

With that said, here's the checklist of troubleshooting steps for you! :-)

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CONNECTION:

1. Run this SPEED TEST: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

2. Download the TCP Optimizer Utility: http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

3. Double click the program to start it:

4. Select the type of connection you're using: DSL, Dialup, DSL (PPPoE),
or Cable, then click "Optimal settings", click Apply changes, and click Exit.

5. Reboot and run the SPEED TEST again. Notice any improvement? If not,
then the Internet "highway" that you're using may be under heavy traffic or
construction. I have a webpage you can use to examine that possibility:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/TraceRoute.html

ADDITIONAL CONNECTIVITY TIPS:

1. Extra items in your Networking Properties Components list may confuse and
delay your system while it's connecting as it has to choose which component to
transfer the data through. Solution: Remove unnecessary network Components.
If you don't use dial up, replace "Dial Up Adapter" with "Network Adapter" in:
these instructions: http://www.oregoncoast.com/configuration/ConfigNetwork....
* If you don't use a Dialup Modem, delete it. In 99% of cases VPN components
aren't used, so you can safely delete those as well.

2. Advanced Users should Reinstall ICS and Networking Components:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263276 Or..
another advice would be to simply unplug the computer, remove the card
you connect to the internet with, and then restart the computer to verify that there
is no longer anything installed in the Control Panel / Networking section.
Once done power off, unplug, reinstall the card, and create a new connection.

3. Lag/Latency can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
programs running on your system. Firewalls and even AntiVirus programs have
been know to slow a connection down. You can disable startup programs using the
method explained at: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm.

4. Scan for Adware/Spyware/Trojans with Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de
And then run an Online Virus Scan: http://housecall.antivirus.com/

5. If you use a Router, or similar networking/internet sharing device, check for
firmware updates. There's been a lot of improvements with the release of DX 9.0b
which you should download and install from: www.microsoft.com/directx

IF DISCONNECTED WHILE PLAYING:

1. Disconnects can be caused by your Modem or Network Cards and by other
programs running on your system. See above for help disabling those programs.

2. Another reason for disconnects could be an external router or modem that has
overheated. Try unplugging it for awhile, and contact your ISP to see if they have
a newer model if the problem keeps recurring.

3. Check for IRQ sharing: Click START / Run / type: msinfo32 / ENTER
Expand + Hardware Resources / Click on IRQ and notice if the sound card, video
card(s), and modem/network cards share the same IRQ. If they do, move them into
different slots, to prevent bottlenecks caused by too much traffic on the same IRQ.

4. Further to step 3., Make certain that your Network adapter or Internal Modem
is not in the slot directly beside the graphics card, as those two must be separate.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

More information on the topic of online gaming connections is available at:

http://NibblesNbitsConnect.tk my site and the reference for this reply to you includes
Ports listings, Router configuration settings, ICS, DSL, Cable and Networking help.

Dialup Tips: http://www.56k.com/trouble/#disconn
Zone.com Dialup Tips: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q228564

Hope that's been of help, please let me know how it went. :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

!