Zire 71 mysterious behaviour

July 30, 2004 10:38:44 AM

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Zire that I can't seem to fix.

If I try to hotsync to my pc when its in the closed position, nothing
happens.. its like the pc and the palm are not even connected.

If I hotsync with the palm slid open to reveal the camera, the palm is
found on my pc and all is well. The problem happens when I then close
the palm after hotsync is complete, it will reset itself and remove
all my programs, memos, calendar entries etc. (Basically does a hard
reset)

This is true even if I don't have any non-factory installed software
on there OR my pc.

Has anyone else had this??

Annie
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 7:12:26 PM

In article <27624bd2.0407300538.7f8fa53a@posting.google.com>,
annie@dodgeit.com says...
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with my Zire that I can't seem to fix.
>
> If I try to hotsync to my pc when its in the closed position, nothing
> happens.. its like the pc and the palm are not even connected.
>
> If I hotsync with the palm slid open to reveal the camera, the palm is
> found on my pc and all is well. The problem happens when I then close
> the palm after hotsync is complete, it will reset itself and remove
> all my programs, memos, calendar entries etc. (Basically does a hard
> reset)
>
> This is true even if I don't have any non-factory installed software
> on there OR my pc.
>
> Has anyone else had this??
>
> Annie

I'd guess that there's some kind of damage to the cable that allows the
sliding action. I have a dead 71 right here with a cable problem (won't
sync or charge). If anyone knows where to get a new cable you would make
my day.

Mike
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 8:09:40 AM

Mike,

Try Office Depot, Staples, Circuit City, Best Buy, ect.. for a cable, most
can be had for around $20-$30 .

Good Luck.

"Mike M" <d_michael_m@hottmaill.com> wrote in message
> In article <27624bd2.0407300538.7f8fa53a@posting.google.com>,
> annie@dodgeit.com says...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am having a problem with my Zire that I can't seem to fix.
> >
> > If I try to hotsync to my pc when its in the closed position, nothing
> > happens.. its like the pc and the palm are not even connected.
> >
> > If I hotsync with the palm slid open to reveal the camera, the palm is
> > found on my pc and all is well. The problem happens when I then close
> > the palm after hotsync is complete, it will reset itself and remove
> > all my programs, memos, calendar entries etc. (Basically does a hard
> > reset)
> >
> > This is true even if I don't have any non-factory installed software
> > on there OR my pc.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this??
> >
> > Annie
> >
> I'd guess that there's some kind of damage to the cable that allows the
> sliding action. I have a dead 71 right here with a cable problem (won't
> sync or charge). If anyone knows where to get a new cable you would make
> my day.
>
> Mike
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 7:09:48 PM

In article <8eEPc.201634$%_6.52081@attbi_s01>,
williamsdennis@comcast.net says...
> Mike,
>
> Try Office Depot, Staples, Circuit City, Best Buy, ect.. for a cable, most
> can be had for around $20-$30 .
>
> Good Luck.
>
> "Mike M" <d_michael_m@hottmaill.com> wrote in message
> > In article <27624bd2.0407300538.7f8fa53a@posting.google.com>,
> > annie@dodgeit.com says...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am having a problem with my Zire that I can't seem to fix.
> > >
> > > If I try to hotsync to my pc when its in the closed position, nothing
> > > happens.. its like the pc and the palm are not even connected.
> > >
> > > If I hotsync with the palm slid open to reveal the camera, the palm is
> > > found on my pc and all is well. The problem happens when I then close
> > > the palm after hotsync is complete, it will reset itself and remove
> > > all my programs, memos, calendar entries etc. (Basically does a hard
> > > reset)
> > >
> > > This is true even if I don't have any non-factory installed software
> > > on there OR my pc.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else had this??
> > >
> > > Annie
> > >
> > I'd guess that there's some kind of damage to the cable that allows the
> > sliding action. I have a dead 71 right here with a cable problem (won't
> > sync or charge). If anyone knows where to get a new cable you would make
> > my day.
> >
> > Mike
d>

Thanks. I'll check it out. Your talking about the ribbon cable inside
the zire and not a sync cradle cable, correct?.

Mike
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 9:25:36 PM

Mike M <d_michael_m@hottmaill.com> wrote in news:MPG.1b794aa8a5ddb62989798
@news.verizon.net:

> Thanks. I'll check it out. Your talking about the ribbon cable inside
> the zire and not a sync cradle cable, correct?.

No, I think he's confused about what cable you were talking about. I know of
no source for that cable. GetHighTech.com has parts for most PDAs, but they
don't list that one.

There is a site or two, or more, on the net that gives instructions for
disassembling a Zire 71. I don't have any URLs handy, but Google should help
you. I've known of people who repaired the cable. It may be just some
chafed wires in the cable, and insulating them again might help. It's
finicky work, but I have no other suggestions.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 9:59:41 PM

In article <Xns953A7E69CAD71stanghalpc@204.52.135.40>,
fakename@fakeaddress.com says...
> Mike M <d_michael_m@hottmaill.com> wrote in news:MPG.1b794aa8a5ddb62989798
> @news.verizon.net:
>
> > Thanks. I'll check it out. Your talking about the ribbon cable inside
> > the zire and not a sync cradle cable, correct?.
>
> No, I think he's confused about what cable you were talking about. I know of
> no source for that cable. GetHighTech.com has parts for most PDAs, but they
> don't list that one.
>
> There is a site or two, or more, on the net that gives instructions for
> disassembling a Zire 71. I don't have any URLs handy, but Google should help
> you. I've known of people who repaired the cable. It may be just some
> chafed wires in the cable, and insulating them again might help. It's
> finicky work, but I have no other suggestions.

Thanks Stan..I've seen the disassembly page/s and took it apart. The
cable has several bad (burnt looking) spots, and doesn't look easily
repairable, very finicky and tedious to say the least. Thats why I'm
looking for a replacement cable. It's fairly easy to R+R the cable so
maybe I can find one with a broken screen or camera on ebay and try to
fix this one.

Mike
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 4:55:38 AM

> Thanks Stan..I've seen the disassembly page/s and took it apart. The
> cable has several bad (burnt looking) spots, and doesn't look easily
> repairable, very finicky and tedious to say the least. Thats why I'm
> looking for a replacement cable. It's fairly easy to R+R the cable so
> maybe I can find one with a broken screen or camera on ebay and try to
> fix this one.

The Brighthand Palm forum had a thread some time back where a guy repaired
his ribbon cable and posted pictures. He just went at it with a soldering
iron. Check http://tinyurl.com/46avt. I think the ebay replacement idea is
a better way to go.

--
Regards,