Pioneer "RG-1 Dynamic Processor"

Last response: in Home Audio
September 24, 2005 1:36:55 AM

Can anyone think of a use for this dinosaur in a digital home studio
setting? I'm not even quite sure what it does exactly (either are some
of those that bought this originally). It was a hand me down and I'm
thinking of tossing it in an upcoming move but wondered if there was
anything usable inside (pre-amp, etc.)
Thanks.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 9:28:01 AM

> Can anyone think of a use for this dinosaur in a digital home studio
> setting? I'm not even quite sure what it does exactly (either are some
> of those that bought this originally). It was a hand me down and I'm
> thinking of tossing it in an upcoming move but wondered if there was
> anything usable inside (pre-amp, etc.)

The unit was designed by Robert Grodinsky. There were American models from
Mr. Grodinsky's company, as well.

It is a dynamic range expander, similar to the dbx 117, 118, 119, and 1BX.

It works fairly well, except for the fact that the two channels are expanded
independently. This means that if the left channel gets louder, the image is
pulled to the left, and vice-versa.

The dbx units expand both channels in tandem. This is also incorrect, but
the audible side effects are less obvious and less bothersome.

I'd sell it on eBay. Somebody might want it.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 7:41:18 PM

ontheroad97@yahoo.com excited more than a few electrons when
stating...news:1127536615.083519.84060@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Can anyone think of a use for this dinosaur in a digital home studio
> setting? I'm not even quite sure what it does exactly (either are some
> of those that bought this originally). It was a hand me down and I'm
> thinking of tossing it in an upcoming move but wondered if there was
> anything usable inside (pre-amp, etc.)
> Thanks.

I have one stuck in a corner of my shop. Nothing much inside, just a
couple of RCA 3080s for controlling the dynamics. I never found it to be
that useful, but I saved it for the case and meters.

William's right - maybe it's Ebay material <g>.

david
!