solve for chess

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 11, 2005 2:47:49 AM

Thanks for the information, can someone describe what method of encoding
the Nalimov databases use for moves, pieces, games.

--
entropy

More about : solve chess

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:54:52 AM

entropy wrote:
> Thanks for the information, can someone describe what method of encoding
> the Nalimov databases use for moves, pieces, games.

None. They're endgame databases: they provide the 'score' for positions.
The position is encoded to a number -- that number is used to look up
the score corresponding to that position: won in N moves, lost in N moves, or
drawn.

The position-to-number transformation is as far as I know not documented,

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
September 12, 2005 4:42:53 PM

> The position-to-number transformation is as far as I know not documented

For some information on how the de Koning format (used in Chessmaster)
does this, go to:

http://www.aarontay.per.sg/winboard/Feg.txt

I looked around for a place to download FEG, but it seems to have been
orphaned off of the Chessmaster site -- very disappointing.

For general information on endgame tablebases, here is the best site I
know:

http://www.aarontay.per.sg/winboard/egtb.html

jm
!