Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

Thanks.

Ruud

You probably want Fruit 2.1.
This is a very good engine that beats commercial engines like fritz 8 or
junior on many occasions and is second best to only shredder in many tests.

Visitor" <None@example.com> schreef in bericht

Steve D. a écrit :
> Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
> available for download?
>
> I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

All the UCI Engines freely available classified by force of play (more
than 96.000 games played):
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/tournois/uci/uel.htm

Click on the logo to arrive on the download site/page.

Here (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/bohscc.htm) also a very good
opening book for use with Arena.

Regards

Patrick

I have been running Fruit 2.x against Shredder for a week or so now. Fruit
is definitely stronger at all time controls. I believe Fruit is the
strongest engine out there. It's free and easy to install under Arena.

adp

Le Fou numerique Wrote:
> Steve D. a écrit :-
> Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is
> freely
> available for download?
>
> I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.
>
> Thanks.
> -
> Hi,
>
> All the UCI Engines freely available classified by force of play (more
> than 96.000 games played):
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/tournois/uci/uel.htm
>

> Click on the logo to arrive on the download site/page.
>
> Here (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lefouduroi/bohscc.htm) also a very good
> opening book for use with Arena.
>
> Regards
>
> Patrick

The strongest free engines are Fruit 2.1 and Toga II 1.0. Bothe are
available for free download from
http://www.uciengines.de/UCI-Engines/uci-engines.html.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Mason

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

If you have the ability to run DOS, REBEL 12 DOS, is a Monster, and plays
that level, and is free!!!

Hey, anybody else still have a link for "BRINGER" It was Windows, but still
very very tough as well, and free!!!

"Steve D." <steve011@gmail.com> wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
available for download?

I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.

Thanks.

Hello,

You could try SOS, Fruit, Spike, Pharaon, Delfi

Of course if you always want the latest version of the opening book you
should download it here:
http://www.playwitharena.com/directory/mainbook/book-eng.htm

Kind regards,

Michael

* Angelo DePalma <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> (14:44) schrieb:

> I have been running Fruit 2.x against Shredder for a week or so now. Fruit
> is definitely stronger at all time controls. I believe Fruit is the
> strongest engine out there. It's free and easy to install under Arena.

Did you do the tests under arena? What opening book settings did you
use? As I understand Fruit has its own book, but Shredder relies on the
GUI to do the opening.

mfg, simon .... l

Ruud

Me too.
On mine it's Shredder9-Fruit 2.1 14.5- 11.5
Fritz 8 -Fruit 2.1 6.5- 8.5

Steve D. wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a powerful chess engine (2700+ ELO) that is freely
> available for download?
>
> I'm using Arena 1.1 as my front end.
>
> Thanks.

As you can see from the replies, there's many strong free engines.
Maybe you instead be concerned about their style, strength and weaknesses!?

HD

gambitron

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
The 2 strongest free chess engine are Rybka 1.0 and Toga 1.2.1

they are both available on this website

http://www.superchessengine.com/

you will find there other strong free chess engine like Gambit Fruit, Glaurung ...

This is free and on the website they even teach you how to use the chess engine and chess GUI .